Scheduled dVH/RALH Dentures, aka the dumbest pre-op concern EVER! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dentures, aka the dumbest pre-op concern EVER! Dentures, aka the dumbest pre-op concern EVER!

Unread 08-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Dentures, aka the dumbest pre-op concern EVER!

Okay, so my DH knows I wear full dentures, but he has NEVER seen me without them. I know they will need to be removed pre-surgery, but I am wondering if I can get them glued back into my mouth before my husband sees me in the recovery room??

Told ya it was dumb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Re: Dentures, aka the dumbest pre-op concern EVER!

No, not a dumb question at all. The thing is, the fastest way to get your dentures back after surgery will be to give them to your hubby to hold (in their case, I mean).

When you take them off before surgery, the nurses are going to bundle them up with the rest of your street clothes. You won't get them back until you get your street clothes back. Your only chance of getting them back before then is to hand them off to your hubby instead of the nurses.

Look, isn't marriage supposed to be about trust? You're just going to have to trust him not to drop the case and run out the door screaming.

Or else tell your hubby to stay home on the day of and get a friend to accompany you to the hospital instead.
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:56 PM

I had 2 surgeries for adenomyosis/cancer, and both times I had them put my glasses and dentures in a plastic bag to go with my chart and with me to surgery/recovery. I simply told them that I had to have both ASAP both to communicate , and to understand as I came out from anesthesia , that it was important to me. And they did, at 2 different hospitals. HTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2013, 10:08 PM

Not dumb at all, but yes I did giggle a little because this surgery has made hubby and I cross some hurdles we never expected. My suggestion is to cross the hurdle before surgery day and have hubby hold on to your choppers like Surprised suggested. I'll share my own stress moment.

I had to do enemas as part of my bowel prep. Well with a 7 month size uterus and severe pain there was no way I could give myself an enema. We're not a bathroom door open kind of couple, this girl likes her privacy. Well, I had no choice and withstood all the jokes he made like bringing home tubing from work claiming he's gonna make a better home version etc. Well we made through it Mojo and he was nothing but a gentleman and respectful when it came down to it. So talk to him, share your fears and shortcomings, you'll more than likely to hear the words " it doesn't matter to me".
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:22 AM

I have lower back dentures and he asked me if I had dentures, I said yes lower back ones and he said leave them in.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:28 PM

I have a flipper for 2 missing teeth that broke during a surgery last year. They had me keep it in until I got to the operating room then I was to give it to the anesthesiologist. He put it in a little container with my name on it and when I woke up in recovery it was tied to my bed. They asked if I wanted it, but since its just 2 side teeth its about an inch long and I didn't have my adhesive, I was afraid I might choke on it while on the strong meds. I don't have a hubby, so I didn't put it in till it was time to go home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register