endometrial lining thickness | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometrial lining thickness endometrial lining thickness

Unread 03-09-2002, 05:19 AM
endometrial lining thickness

I am just passing on some information that my gyn/oncologist gave me during my last appointment. I don't know if anyone else has ever been told that endometrial lining thickness in pre/peri-menopausal women above 5 mm is reason to test and be concerned about uterine cancer but I was and I spent hundreds of hours on the internet trying to find information about this and data to support the cancer concerns. As we all know, if you look long enough you can find whatever you want and whatever you want to hear.

I was told in Dec that as my lining was 19 mm as of Sept transvaginal ultrasound I really needed to be tested for uterine cancer using the 5mm guideline. Then told 6 weeks later that the biopsy was un-necessary as upon TAH the uterus would be biopsied and if cancer was present treatment would begin.

My current Dr is a well know gyn/oncologist when I questioned him about this he told me that in women whom were still experiencing their periods there is really no accurate lining thickness mesurement as the lining will increase and decrease with individual cycles. This can go from <5 mm to >25mm depending on the monthly cycle of each women. Especially in women with abnormal bleeding these measurements will be greatly off the normal. The 5 mm rule is basically indended for post menopausal women.

He did however say that if there is evidence and history of possible uterine cancer it is very relevant to obtain a uterine biopsy as the surgical proceedure may need to be different.
I know that everyones Dr and situation is different, but we all know that an uneducated physician can easily put un-needed fear and pressure by not thinking thru what they tell their patients.

As we all know our physicians are our best source of information and I hope this just helps to ease the mind of anyone else who has gotten conflicting information about this issue.

Toni
(Trixie)

P.S. This is one Dr's view of the above information, anyone who has a oncologist who's ideas are different..Please let me know as I am interested in hearing all sides of this confusing issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:58 AM
Hi Trixie

All I can add is that my uterine lining measured 6mm when the Endometrial Cancer was found through biopsy. The gyn/onc who ultimately did the surgery made some positive comment about it being "only 6mm" and that was a good thing. My uterus along with everything else was biopsied after surgery. The cancer was in very small and contained areas. They got it all, it had not spread as is usually the case.
Also on this subject, my daughter-in-law who has been going through extensive fertility treatments and taking TONS of hormones has just had to have a uterine biopsy. I think to make sure the hormones have not made the lining too thick as to put her in any danger. They have told her that if she does not conceive, which she hasn't, her odds of developing uterine cancer are greater. Her biopsy came out okay and I am trying to discourage her from taking all these hormones and putting her body at risk.

Shelley
Unread 03-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Uterine Cancer

I had my hysterectomy because of excess estrogen in the uterus -- it was diagnosed after Transvaginal Ultrasound and a D&C as "Complex Atypical Endometrial Hyperplasia." After surgery, I was told I had Stage Ib uterine cancer, but that it was contained and removed with the uterus during the hysterectomy. It was 1mm into the uterine wall. Also, I had borderline ovarian cancer, but no chemo was required. I am almost two years post-op and have had no further treatment. Chemo was unnecessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 05:00 AM
19 MM ENDO LINING BIOPSY RESULTS

Just a quick note to update on the endo lining issue. I had and have maintained to the best of our knowledge an endo lining thickness of 19 mm since Sept, 2001.

My biopsy done last week showed no evidence of cancer or pre cancerous cellular changes.

As I said before, Dr's views on this subject differ greatly and each person is different. I would just like to give a little comparative info for anyone whom, like me, gets conflicting information about this and is unable to have a biopsy done in a timely manor to help ease their mind. I went for 11 weeks worrying about this
(especially since I was 3X the limit of normal ) and in my mind it was and is cruel for any Dr to leave a pt with such concern.

Hope this helps someone to maybe relax a bit. I can not stress enough that everyone is different and there are additonal considerations for each woman, So as always, if there is concern or Dr. feels it's needed at any measurement - GET THE BIOPSY DONE.

BLESSING TO ALL,

TRIXIE
(TONI)

As before, I would love to hear anyones experience with this as I am interested in learning the different thoughts on this. And it would be nice to have a thread with alot of views if anyone else needs the source in the future.
Unread 03-21-2002, 11:10 AM
endo biopsy

Well--I had an ultrasound for an ovarian cyst. My Dr mentioned that my uterine lining was 12mm. So she biopsied. And yes-cancer was found. She was surprised as she said 12 wasn't abnormal at the point I was in my cycle. I was lucky we found it. Stage IC was deep so I have had to do radiation treatments. I have warned my sisters that if ever they find their uterine lining shows up thick get that biopsy! Yes it makes you nervous and yes it would be very easy to put your head in the sand. But take care of it early! If mine had been found sooner, I wouldn't be doing the radiation. And if we'd waited longer--what would have happened? My prognosis would be much worse.
SusanL
endometrial stromal sarcoma (low grade)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register