Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses? Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses?

Unread 03-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Can I please have a look through your "Hindsight is 20/20" glasses?

Hi,

Like so many sisters have already said, reading these posts and hyst stories is by far my #1 piece of advice! I felt very informed by the time of my TAH/BSO thanks to the ladies here.

Very little caught me off guard, but here are a few notes:

1) Gas was an issue for me on night 2 in the castle. I was up and at 3 am - fortunately my wonderful nurse suggested a suppository that would relieve the gas and she was also kind enough to recommend a shot of Toradol to assist with the pain associated with the gas and its subsequent "passing". Don't be afraid to ask for anything that you need, especially as it relates to your comfort.

2) Must-haves for me in the castle and first week home - tummy pillow (small and firm worked best for me), chapstick and lotion for my so dry skin (face and body), a chair in the shower, and lots and lots of water...

3) I asked toonces a similar question when I was pre-op and mentally thank her on a regular basis (thanks toonces!!!!!) for filling me in on this one - post op internal stitches dissolving at about 3 wks.....WOW, it has produced some uncomfortable moments and really weird twinges. I might have panicked if I didn't know what it was.

4) The biggest "surprise", I think, was how poor my concentration was for about 2 weeks post. I had a zillion books ready to read, and all I could do was watch mindless tv, or at best read a paragraph or two before losing track. Then I would nap.

And, yes, the waiting really is the very worst part!!
Best wishes to you!! You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 07:14 AM
Thank you!

Wow, Princesses, you really came through for me with some great replies! I so appreciate all of you sharing your experiences and recommendations!

Thanks again for being here!
Unread 03-10-2002, 08:08 AM

I had a TVH 3/5 and the most important thing I did was get up and walk as soon as possible (got that from this board). It helps tremendously with gas, healing, circulation, everything. I went in on Tuesday and came home on Thursday:

What I did not do that I should have was bring some stool softeners and a tummy pillow. A tummy pillow is very important, especially for the ride home.

I was asked if I wanted a last pain shot for the ride home but I said no because I would have had to stay in the hospital another two hours. If they offer you that shot - TAKE IT!!!!!. Ride home was awful. That is about it. DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2002, 08:34 AM

Hi Princess Fiona

In hindsight, I would have done a couple things different. I did have oral pain meds given to me before I left the castle for the ride home (only 10 min. away). However, after my DH got me home and settled he went back to work for a couple of hours because my mom was here with me. So, I told him to pick up my pain meds at the pharmacy on the way home. WRONG thing to do. He got tied up at work, the pharmacy was extremely busy and I was going NUTS by the time he got the meds home to me. So, just make sure you have your script filled promptly!

Also, I had my TAH in September and I live in Indiana. Kind of inbetween weather. I had all of my warmer clothes still packed away, so did not have enough loose and baggy clothes ready when I got home. So, think ahead. You will want sweat type pants with elastic waist bands.

Best of luck to you !!!
Unread 03-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Great Question Princess Fiona!

I LOVE this site! I'm sitting here reading like a mad woman, my surgery is on March 20th. I am new here and this is my 2nd time posting.

I have found so many comforting words here, the questions are answered so quickly and cover everything I'm feeling. I'm starting to feel better and better about this journey.

Just wanted to give a "BIG" Thank You to all of you for helping all of us LIW!

Best of luck Fiona..... I'll be thinking of you on your crowning day!

(((((((((((Lot's of Hugs to Everyone!!!!))))))))
Unread 03-16-2002, 04:12 AM

Thanks for the additional replies!!

Wow, Tuesday is SOON. I can't believe how soon!

Of course, it's too early for me to say what I'll wish I hadn't done or had known... since I haven't had my surgery yet.

I do know, though, that the answer to my question about what I'll be grateful to have done (or known) will most definitely be having found this web site and having read a lot of messages. Yeah, I'm scared about Tuesday... but boy is it a wonderful thing to know all that I now know... all that you've all shared!

THANK YOU!
Unread 03-16-2002, 04:19 AM

My handicapped mom who lives with us has one of those 'reachers'. I used it during the first month of recovery and it was the best thing! You can get them at any surgical supply house and many drugstores. Wonderful invention!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 03-16-2002, 09:10 AM

Hi Fiona,

The one thing that I wish I would have 'reminded' my dr of is a pain pump. I thought that this was something that was fairly standard procedure and did not think to mention it.

Alot of the patients in the ward had a self administering pain pump (by IV) that they were able to just press when they felt the need. This pump obviously has a maximum on it in order that you not overdose with pain medication.

She was most apologetic about it post op....as I was receiving morphine shots.....and it was something that I feel would have made a big difference for me. The nurses were ok but there were occasions that I did have to ask more than once for pain relief.

All the best for you.....and when you are in recovery and are having those days when you feel that you do anything....just don't. Take care of yourself so that you don't set yourself back.

Brenda
Unread 03-16-2002, 05:16 PM
the waiting

I didn't realize that hospitals are in a totally different time zone. During my castle stay I learned that when hospital personnal mentioned any waiting period, it was usually double what I was told. When I got in my gown prior to surgery, they said, "The woman ahead of you just went down (to the surgical floor) so they'll come to get you in an hour." Actual time, 2-1/2 hours.

You may spend a lot more time in pre-op than you expected if the operation(s) ahead of you run longer than they anticipated. I arrived in pre-op just as some delivery boys brought in "lunch" for the surgical staff. So I waited while they ate before my turn in surgery. Meanwhile, DH assumed I was already in surgery and was worrying extra for nothing.
After my surgery they told my DH, The doctor will be Right Out to talk to you". It was 1/2 hour. Poor DH was ready to climb the walls by then! The doc assured DH that all was well and I would be in my room, "In a few minutes". More like an hour.

Well, I unknowingly delayed that process by feeling that I needed to pee. I didn't know: A. The catheter they placed during surgery can irritate the urethra & can cause you to feel the urge but, B. My bladder aparatus was still asleep from the anesthesia so I couldn' t go, though not for lack of trying--I spent 20 minutes on the pot--said I wanted to sleep there!
Be sure to warn your loved ones that they may experience long waits due to "hospital time" & not because you're in danger.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register