surgery with a cough | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery with a cough surgery with a cough

Unread 03-12-2002, 05:18 PM
surgery with a cough

Hi all. I am scheduled for Friday but have not been able to get rid of my cough. Any thoughts, suggestions? How bad is it going to hurt if the doc lets me go through with the surgery and I still have the cough? It wakes me at night and I have to get up, get water, take more cough medicine(prescription)... I think it is mostly caused from the drainage from the sinuses. I finished up my prescription of Zythromax on Sunday. I know the package says it keeps working but I am so nervous that Dr. will cancel the surgery because of it. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 05:59 PM
surgery with a cough

Dear Bleujean,

Please be sure to call your doctor's office in the morning to let them know that you have been sick, still have your cough, and have been on medication. Unless he's the doctor who prescribed it, he should be made aware that you have been taking it.

I know you don't want your surgery to be postponed, but you also want it to be successful, and depending on how severe your cough is, you might tear or pull the stitches, and that could cause complications or at the least, more discomfort.

I hope you'll be feeling better in the morning, but please call anyway, just to be on the safe side.

's

Karen
Unread 03-12-2002, 06:53 PM
surgery with a cough

Rest assured, I have been in close contact with my doctor through his nurse since I first got sick. They know what meds I am on for how long and who prescribed it for me. They have been every step of the way with me on this. The nurse says "just keep taking that cough medicine!" She is so sweet, kind of like a mother hen and she keeps the Doctor on track. Sometimes I wonder who is running the show!
Just took a hot bath in hopes of steaming the crud out of me. Off to bed soon, need all the rest I can get!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2002, 07:28 PM
surgery with a cough

I agree with Karen...I know it's the last thing you want to hear right now, but if you have a lot of mucus and phlegm, it may be best to postpone. Aside from the difficulties with anesthesia, you don't want to be coughing with an incision!!! :eyes:

This has unfortunately happened to many of our sisters, and most of them have said that it was for the best that they were postponed. Keep in touch with your dr. as you have been doing, and try to "go with the flow". As we say, if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be...

That said, I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!!!

Karen
Unread 03-12-2002, 07:49 PM
surgery with a cough

but I have waited so longgggggggggg! I just want to have it done and over with! No incision so does that matter? I know I am whining but I cant help myself!
Unread 03-12-2002, 07:59 PM
surgery with a cough

I don't blame you one bit!! I'd likely be pulling my hair out, too. :hair:

Just let your doctor make the right decision for you. Worst case and they do postpone, I'm sure it won't be for long. Let's think postive...

NO COUGH--NO COUGH--NO COUGH (everybody!!!)

Hang in there, drink lots of juice and get some chicken soup into you, girl!!!!

Let us know what happens.

Karen
Unread 03-12-2002, 09:50 PM
surgery with a cough

I'm just curious. . .

When my Mom had a different surgery years ago they made her cough to keep her from getting pneumonia.
Do they do that nowadays and with hysterectomies?

I remember her saying how painful it was but they said you had to do it.

My surgery is next month and I have a lot of
drainage and it makes my throat irrated and causes me to cough. I also have asthma so coughing seems to be a part of my life.

I use those Ricola cough drops (yellow bag) and they work really good. But do I need to tell the doctor about these since they are herbal?
Unread 03-13-2002, 03:06 AM
surgery with a cough

Dear Bleujean,

Yes, you will have stitches, but they will all be internal, and that's why coughing hard might be dangerous.

Fix some soup, get lots of rest, and I'll be thinking positive thoughts (NO COUGH - NO COUGH- NO COUGH) , too.

Karen
Unread 03-13-2002, 03:30 AM
kmarie61.....

Yes, tell your doctor that you take herbal cough drops. He'll be able to tell you how long before surgery you should stop taking them. Some herbs can interfere with blood clotting, so it's important that your doctor be made aware of it.

Best wishes,
Unread 03-14-2002, 02:54 PM
surgery with a cough

Just wanted to thank all of you for your good thoughts - the surgery is a go! Tomorrow at 7:30 am! Yea!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register