I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:02 PM
I am an R.N. now Im becoming the patient

Hi
I'm a RN also I active but I'm in hospice care. It is hard knowing what I see to go through the surgery I will go on the 3/19 I know that it will be hard because we know too much about the side effects. I know that I must be a patient and not act like a nurse. I will needed to liston to them and their wisdom and I also must liston to my inner voice if I don't think something is right I wish you the best of luck too. I do know per my husband that nurses don't make good patients.

Malia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2002, 01:57 PM

I'm an ER nurse. I am scheduled for my TAH / poss BSO in May. But I had my first taste of being a patient last August when I had a gall stone caught in my common bile duct and ended up with pancreatitis. I was a patient at the hosptial that I work in. I let the nurses know that I was very self sufficent and they let me do as much as I could, most of the time, unless I asked for help. I became very good at attaching and unattaching my IV for showers (my favorite thing when I don't feel good!!!) I tried my best not to tell them how to do things, but know that I did not succeed 100% of the time.

Changing from the care giver to the patient is tough. I will be a patient at a different hospital for this surgery and I think that will be easier. And hopefully this stay will be much shorter!

Caren
Unread 03-14-2002, 02:02 PM

I'm an ER nurse. I am scheduled for my TAH / poss BSO in May. But I had my first taste of being a patient last August when I had a gall stone caught in my common bile duct and ended up with pancreatitis. I was a patient at the hosptial that I work in. I let the nurses know that I was very self sufficent and they let me do as much as I could, most of the time, unless I asked for help. I became very good at attaching and unattaching my IV for showers (my favorite thing when I don't feel good!!!) I tried my best not to tell them how to do things, but know that I did not succeed 100% of the time.

Changing from the care giver to the patient is tough. I will be a patient at a different hospital for this surgery and I think that will be easier. And hopefully this stay will be much shorter!

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2002, 10:07 AM

I too am an RN. Just had my surgery Tuesday and came home thursday. Had TAH/BSO. It went perfectly. I was up that evening and self care by morning. Washed my hair in the sink the next day. I had a spinal. Would also talk with your dr. about toradol., I really think it made a big difference in my recovery. I was off my PCA pump 14 hours post op and on toradol. Then added p.o. lortabs at bedtime. Now am only on advil and a bedtime lortab. I feel great, if you want any more info. please feel free to write me. Good luck, it will go great, you will be suprised!
Unread 03-16-2002, 05:13 PM
Welcome!

Hi, Jackie (foleyjackie)! Just noticed this was your first post here, so wanted to welcome you to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! Hope you will benefit from everything here as much as I did. It really helped prepare me for accepting and getting through a hyst and the recovery. Best wishes
Ruthie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register