Did your doctor remove your ovaries against your wishes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did your doctor remove your ovaries against your wishes? Did your doctor remove your ovaries against your wishes?

Unread 09-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Did your doctor remove your ovaries against your wishes?

My doctor promised me she would not remove my ovaries when I had my hysterectomy. But she lied; she removed them anyway. I was extremely upset, and when I asked her why she did this, she didn't say a word, just stared at me and changed the subject - she had no reason.

I had early stage IA, endometrium cancer which had grown less than halfway into the myometrium, and it was completely removed, cancer free. This does not necessitate removal of the ovaries.

So here I am now, worried sick about this "all cause mortality thing." due to oophorectomy. In researching, It's everywhere I've looked, and it really has me down....I couldn't be more depressed.

If you read the literature it will tell you that no one really understands ovarian function completely, except that it's an integral part of the endocrine system and that in accordance with all the studies a woman will die through "ALL CAUSE MORTALITY" much sooner than she would have if her ovaries had been left intact; and the percentages of the increase in risk of death from this 'all cause mortality' are astronomical.

Longevity runs in my family, and I had hoped to live a long life as well. That hope was dashed merely on the vague whim of an incompetent doctor.

It was, and "should" have been, MY choice to keep my healthy ovaries. (Perhaps I should feel lucky that while she was at it she didn't remove my breast as well - it makes about as much sense.)

I'm desperately looking for some support on this topic. Surely there is someone out there whose doctor has been unethical in this regard, removing ovaries against a patient's wishes.

Please chime in if anything like this has happened to you and you're now suffering the myriad problems caused by having those very important organs removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Re: Did your doctor remove your ovaries against your wishes?

I am so sorry that you are going through this. First of all, did you sign a consent to have your ovaries removed? They have no right to do that. I was in a similar situation. I was basically scared into having everything removed. A few weeks before I thought I had a UTI as I had pressure on my bladder. I called my IM doc and he wrote a script for an antiobiotic. Didn't work so I went to see him. He felt a mass on my right ovary. Had a transvaginal ultrasound and the radiologist could not tell if it was cystic or solid. Said to get to my gyn asap. The next day I went over to the hospital where I worked as an RN. They did more ultrasounds and could not figure it out. My Dr said I probably had cancer. I was in shock! He told me they were going to do an exploratory lap and hysterectomy. He told me that I would feel better anyway after the surgery? A man telling me this? Again, I was so shocked and scared that I consented. I woke up with everything gone and it was just a corpus luteum cyst. My whole life changed. I eneded up in the hospital after a reaction to the hormone patch. I went through years of hell trying to get balanced. I had fibromyalgia, infections, depression, anxiety just to name a few. Before the surgery I was fine. I was always upbeat, active with no pain. I finally found my wonderful Dr that I have today 3 years after this mess. I wish I had had him because this would have never happened. I was so angry when I first saw him and told me that I was done wrong and I had to let go. He worked at the same hospital and left 12 years earlier because they were in the dark ages when it came to gyn matters. He finally got me back to balance and living again. I was 44 when I had the surgery and I am now almost 60 and other than getting balanced again, I am doing really well. I am a cyclist and rode 100 miles 6 years ago. I ride every week and I stay active. I have my ups and downs but that is to be expected. I think as long as you take estradiol and some testosterone if you need that you will be fine and live just as long as anyone else who never had their ovaries removed. I know it is a big shock but I pray you don't fear rule you. Again, Estradiol is key in staying healthy. We need more than someone who is going through natural menopause. I encourage you to read Dr Elizabeth Vliet's book, Screaming To Be Heard. It is excellent and will give you a wealth of knowledge. It has done wonders for me and she is on the mark when it comes to all of these issues. You will be fine. Are you on an estrogen? You will have to find the right balance and that takes time but it will happen.<> I was so sick for years that I could not even think about it and then it got to be too late. I did sign a consent but was scared into it like a lot of women. Just know that you are not alone.
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:52 PM

I am sorry that happened. You might want to talk to a therapist because if this were me I would feel very violated.

As for the all cause thing, don't let that get you worked up. It's a risk, it doesn't mean it WILL happen. Many women have their ovaries remove and live long healthy lives. Statistically there are so many things that could kill you that you aren't even thinking about or even know about. Focus on what you have control over, your life style choices. Having your ovaries removed is not a death sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM

Hi, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I had my ovaries removed as well and read afterwards the mortality thing and it scared me too! I had a rapidly enlarged cyst on the right side and my gyno referred me to an oncologist and he couldn't tell what it was either but suggested laparoscopic to see what it was but if it was cancer everything would go. I had fibroids as well. The cyst got too big to do lap so he said full incision. He suggested to take the uterus since I would probably need to anyway from the fibroids. We didn't discuss ovaries although he was pretty sure he would need to remove the infected one. Turned out no cancer but endo on the right one. He removed everything. I was so afraid that it was ovarian cancer that I was glad he took both so I don't have to worry about ovarian cancer. Although I sometime wonder why he didn't leave the left but from what I read here, some women have to eventually get the remaining ovary removed too, and sometimes they don't work we'll from the surgery anyway. So I believe it was all done for the best. I started on bio identical hormone pellets which stopped my hot flashes, insomnia and night sweats. I'm praying for you and your quick recovery. You are not alone, your sisters are here for you! Hugs!
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Waverider 75,
Your post was truly inspirational. Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I have been struggling to feel good again after BSO two years ago (and a hysterectomy just a few months ago). I am sorry for your suffering, so glad that you are active again and feeling well, and grateful that you shared your story with us. It gives me hope.
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:29 PM

You are so welcome. I don't want to discourage any women. It does take time to get balanced and feel better. For some of us it is sooner. At the time of my hysterectomy, I did not have a computer and access to the knowledge that I needed. I thought at times I would never ever feel better again. I will say that the 50's were some of the best years of my life! I did get my life back even though I am going through the balancing act again. That is alright because I know more and have been through enough to basically listen to my body and really communicate with my Dr. I get my labs done often now and really keep a journal of my symptoms. That helps him to get the dosage more in tune with my body. This past year has been quite a ride but this too will pass. Never give up hope!
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Wow, do I understand. I was 26 and had been having bladder problems while I was pregnant with my third child. Was put on a daily antibiotic until scheduled c-section. I was told pain would go away after delivery..... Not the case. I underwent a tubal ligation so they could have a reason to do surgery. Removed large endometrioma off left ovary and diagnosed with stage III endometriosis.... Still pain. My doctor was out on maternity leave during my post op appt. the assistant surgeon seen me at my post op, ordered ultrasound. I was told nothing was wrong with me. I cried and said there is a reason my bladder feels like its ripping everytime I urinate. She said I was too young for all this and needed a hysterectomy, I agreed but only if I got to keep my ovaries " I needed my hormones". She said she would save them both if she could. I awoke from surgery with the news that they had not only taken my uterus but my healthy cervix and my left ovary;( but not to worry that my right ovary looked great and should last me as long as I needed it. I was breathless, confused and scared. Breathless because she caught me off guard. I did not expect to hear the words she just let fill the room. Confused because I did not know what this meant for me and scared because I still had the ever so present bladder pain... November 1st 2012 I had my right ovary remove it had reoccurrent hemmorhagic corpus lutetium cysts that had wrapped themselves around my right uretur. I tried very thing to save my only ovary. Six months of lupron, 2 lap surgeries for cysts and six months of birth control. Sometimes it's all so much to wrap ones head around, but I have to believe this is my cross I must bear. It's horrible how in a couple of hours a surgeon can change our lives forever and they truly have no idea that medicine is not only body but also spirit and mind.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register