Curls, on me?????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Curls, on me?????? Curls, on me??????

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:01 AM
Curls, on me??????

It is true what they say about your hair after chemo. It can come back entirely different than it was before. I am living proof. I had poker straight hair my entire life. Wore it in a straight bob for the past fifteen years.
Now it is about one and one half inches long. Here is the problem. The back of my head and left side are getting curlier and curlier day by day. And I mean tight curls. The top and right side are poker straight! I wouldn't mind having one or the other, but both?????!!!!! Give me a break. You gotta laugh. Maybe being bald wasn't so bad.
oxoxoxoxkarenann
:hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Curls, on me??????

Wow!! Karen I haven't heard of that happening. Coming in different on the left and right. I have heard of it coming back curlier all over, but mine was already very curly, so I really didn't see any difference in mine when it came back. I wonder if it will curl up on the other side eventually??? I will be interested to see what others say about the way theirs came back. It could be once you get more length there, it will even out.
On the upside Karen.....if you go for a perm....it should be half price I would think.
Love and Hugs!!
PS: How is sister doing now that she is home?!! Taking it easy I hope!!
M. xoxo
Unread 03-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Curls, on me??????

Maria: You should see my hair. Half curly and half straight. I swear. My youngest son's girlfriend just laughs at me. I forget how it looks and then my hands touch my head and it's like WOW! Who's hair am I touching?
Little sis is doing great. Lying low on the couch and keeping her eyes open at all times for a quick attack from her two year old. Still waiting for her bowels to move however. I gave her my leftover senokot and colace. I was not allowed to leave the castle until my bowels moved. All castles are different. I have them all coming for dinner tonight. Just a quick walk next door, and then she can camp on my couch. Her hubby and I will rotate days this coming work week, so that someone is there at all times. She is a trooper.
It's been fun to be the caretaker for a change. oxooxkarenann s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Curls, on me??????

Hi Karen, as you know I didnt have chemo but know quite a few who have and their hair did come back differently. One poor girl had red hair and hers grew back completely stark white Like you say you gotta laugh, otherwise you would cry. Just keep letting it grow and see what happens. lots of love coming your way x x x
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Curls, on me??????

Karen glad to hear Judy is doing well. Yes she would have to watch for the litte one jumping up on her for sure. They don't understand at that age do they but I am sure she is able to cuddle beside her mom just fine. I hope her bowels get working soon. They let me come home before they got back to normal as well, but put me on the senokot and colace as well.

You know I was thinking about your hair...and this is probably way off base, but just out of curiousity did you by chance have all your treatments in the same hand? Just thinking I wonder if its got something to do with the side the IV was on. Where my treatments were 5 days each, they would start on one hand on Monday, and maybe on Wed. or Thursday would switch to the other, and some weeks it was all on the same hand. Or did you have a port? The only reason I say this is because the numbness I experienced and still do in my hands and feet seems worse on my left side than my right, and that was the side I had more of my IVs as its not my dominant hand.

I do remember my hair was alot straighter and greyer when it first came in, but when I got some length it went all back to curly and dark as it had been. I just can't see it staying that way Karen and I hope it does change in the months to come for ya.!! I remember well having an inch and a half in length, and it was so exciting. We sure don't realize how much we missed it till its back eh?!! Have a great dinner with your family tonight!!
M. xoxo
Unread 03-17-2002, 12:54 PM
Curls, on me??????

Hi Karenann,
So glad your hair is coming back in. I did not have chemo, butmy dad did. I did remember his hair coming in curlier and whiter at first. It did settle into its own, after a bit. I believe it is a temporary situation. At least now you get to checkout both styles so you can then decide which you like best.

Sending hugs to you and your sis,
Valentina
Unread 03-17-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm Worse Than You Are, Guaranteed

Went to a woman at our largest salon here who is one of three who do post-chemo hair (also during) and she said mine was the worst she's seen as far as totally unmanageability--it is so curly I can't stand it. It's about 3" I think if straightened out--looks 1/2 inch as it's so tight. I still cry sometimes because it looks awful so except when I go to my part-time job (retired from full time) where they see EVERYTHING (police) I still use a wig--got a new one that matches the black/white mix because I feel so bad. Why the heck (putting it mildly) don't they get some drug that would let us keep hair--heck (mildly) even if insurance wouldn't pay--I would.
Unread 03-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Curls, on me??????

Hiya Karen!

I don't think I've ever heard of that happening either, the different on each side. I have heard alot of peoples hair coming in differently than it left, alot of curly hair although most say it did calm down after a while.

I had always had very thick, somewhat wavy hair (when it was shorter) but it came back baby fine and sooooooo silver. Because it was so fine, my hairdresser didn't want me to dye it right away and when he finally did let me it was only with a non amonia based hair dye.

It did take a while, but its finally back where it started. Just as thick as it was before it left with lots of body since its shorter than before. I don't think I'm going to let it grow out as long as it was before, I've already noticed a dramatic increase in the hot flashes on the nicer days. Ack!

I'm so glad to hear your sis is doing so well, I sure hope the little one doesn't succeed in any sneak attacks.

I hope your hair will soon even out, one or the other. I'm curious, have you asked your Dr about it? Have they ever seen this before?

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 03-18-2002, 05:15 AM
Curls, on me??????

Hi Karen--

When my hair came in after chemo, it was totally gray -- now it is almost black (used to be light brown). Also, the sides and top are straight and the back is very curly (which is the way I used to get it permed as a teenager -- very funny...). It used to be straight as a stick. It kind of drives me crazy -- sort of flyaway, but it is nice to have hair.

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 03-19-2002, 06:57 PM
{{{Karenann}}}

I am sure it's not funny to you, but your sense of humor in your post had me chuckling. I am a bit eccentric I guess because I found myself imagining you and how cute you must look.

I like eclectic things, and your description has my mind whirling at the possiblities. You are truely unique and unforgettable to anyone you encounter now. This would be some people's dream come true...sort of like the 15 minutes of fame saying, except yours is lasting longer. Someday someone may say...'Oh I remember you. You are the lady with the interesting hair.' I wish you could post a pic here. I bet it really is cute. And it can be fun.

As long as you can't do anything about it for the moment, maybe you can have some fun with it. Just look in the mirror and say to yourself...'God made me very special because He loves me so.'. You never know...maybe someone who needs you to talk to them about cancer and what you have endured will notice you and start a converstion with you just because of your unique hair.

What an interesting journey God must have planned for you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register