Hysterectomy after breast cancer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy after breast cancer? Hysterectomy after breast cancer?

Unread 03-19-2002, 07:28 AM
Hysterectomy after breast cancer?

I am asking this question for a friend who had breast cancer last year. Her doctor is now suggesting she have a hysterectomy. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before. She was told she was cancer free after the mastectomy but is wondering why they are recommending a hysterectomy. Thanks for any feedback.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 11:58 AM

Hi Sue, I am not sure of the answer to this question.

Has your friend had any abnormal gyn. results?

A friend of mine had a biopsy/curette done a few weeks ago and she has had breast cancer about 9 years ago. The results of biopsy are atypical cells ( precancer) so the gyn. suggested that due to her history that she have a hysterectomy.

Best of luck
Unread 03-19-2002, 02:29 PM

Hi.........
I am just wondering if you friend is taking tamoxifen (something like that). It is my undestanding that it can cause uterine cancer.
That would be a reason....I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2002, 05:19 PM
I agree

It could be the tamoxifan issue but then a uterine biopsy should be done before the hysterectomy is performed. I was told by my primary care during a general conversation, that there does appear to be a correlation between ovarian and breast cancer. Perhaps a CA125 is in order? I hate to advocate tah/bso's but I would not have gotten to my cancer stage had I had it as a result of severe cramping, bleeding and length two years prior. Since my surgery I have not had post menopausal symptons only cancer
treatments
Unread 03-20-2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks

for your suggestions. I will find out if she has had any testing to see if that is why they suggested the hysterectomy. She may have had an abnormal pap. I do know she isn't taking any meds for the breast cancer so that wouldn't be a factor. Thanks again ladies.

Sue
Unread 03-21-2002, 04:40 PM

I suppose another possibility would be that some breast cancers are aggravated by estrogen. Perhaps the doc wants the ovaries out so that estrogen is not an issue? Although, if estrogen were a factor here, I would think she would already be taking tamoxifen. I don't know--just a thought.
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:52 PM

My first thought like Valentina and farmer is the tamoxifen. There have been a couple of women with cancer who've been through here who were on tamoxifen and it seemed really powerfully carcinogenic.

At least, if they're making it cause and effect, that's my first thought. Let us know what you find out. I know how much you can worry about a friend.
Unread 03-22-2002, 06:34 AM

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999 and it was the Tamoxifen which caused abnormal bleeding in my case, leading to a TVH in November 2001.

A hysterectomy is not a 'usual' remedy for breast cancer, although I know women who've had their ovaries removed instead of taking Tamoxifen (it appears some doctors prefer this).

I can't understand at all why a hysterectomy would be recommended if there's no symptoms. I think a return visit to the doctor with some very direct questions is called for!

Ann P
Unread 03-26-2002, 06:23 PM
breast cancer

In reply to your post, I was diagnosed with breast cancer last September and I had surgery and radiation. Now my doctor is suggesting a hysterectomy. I took Tamoxifen and it was very toxic to my system. The results of my first blood tests showed that my liver enzymes were elevated. The breast cancer I had was ER+ or Estrogen receptive. The tamoxifen acts as a blocker to breast tissue, however it has the opposite effect to uterine tissue. Since I'm premenopausal, the Tamoxifen increased the estrogenic effect. Although I took Tamoxifen for only 3-4 months,
the effects caused my uterine lining to thicken and the fibroid I
have increased in size. Based on these reasons, my Gyn felt it
was necessary to do a TAH/BSO, so that the threat of uterine or
ovarian cancer would be eliminated.
Since you don't think your friend was taking any medication, I would consider the risk of cancer being high on the doctor's priority list.
Hope this helps. My hyst is scheduled for April 19th and I won't be able to take HRT, so I'm real scared.
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:16 PM

Gigi'
I was diagnosed with breast ca ( DCIS and Paget's Disease) in Nov. 01 I am having a TAHBSO April 18. I have had conflicting responses about hrt. 2 oncologists have told me that since I had both breasts removed that there is not any breast tissue to protect so hrt is ok.....then I read something to the contrary...so I am confused...I think it all depends on type of breast ca ect. It can get all so confusing. I see my gyn on April 8 for my pre-op for the tahbso you can bet I will be asking him many questions about hrt. I am scared also to be without it, scared to take it. Looks like we have a lot in common.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register