6 1/2 wks post-op, stitches falling out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 1/2 wks post-op, stitches falling out? 6 1/2 wks post-op, stitches falling out?

Unread 03-20-2002, 02:27 PM
6 1/2 wks post-op, stitches falling out?

I've noticed a stitch here and there after going to the bathroom. Is this normal? I'm glad they're coming out, but I also have some slight irritation and swelling and I'm wondering if something might be wrong. My dr. is out-of-town until the end of the week and my appointment with her is on Monday, anyway, so at least I'll be seeing her soon.

VickiR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-20-2002, 02:46 PM
stitches

I had a LAVH on 2/8/02. I too have noticed stitches coming out occasionally when I go to the bathroom. I saw my doctor this Monday and he said that is normal. If you continue to have irritation though, you should mention it to you doctor.
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:51 AM

Thank you, Lynn. It makes me feel so much better to know that it is normal. I was really starting to panic there. As far as irritation, I took a long hot bath last night and feel much better today.

Just wanted to say thanks.

VickiR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2002, 07:19 PM
stitches? what stitches?

Hi Ladies,
This thread is the first I've come across regarding stitches literally coming OUT. My doc said my internal stitches would dissolve in a few weeks--I didn't give it much thought. Now, I'll be paying more attention when nature calls. Are these stitches "off the cuff" (so to speak) or from elsewhere?
Unread 03-21-2002, 07:28 PM

The stitches are internal stitches--mostly the vaginal cuff. Sometimes, in some people, the stitches do not dissolve all the way and fall out. My doctor ws not concerned and siad it just happens sometimes.
Unread 03-22-2002, 04:42 AM
Not meant to scare anyone

Just thought I would add another scenario that happened to me. I had bikini cut. At 7 weeks I had internal stitches break through my skin. They came through with abcesses. Panic set in, so off to the dr I went. Onto antibiotics (Kepflex). Then when I saw gyn I mentioned it to him, he had a look and said "yes, you are right, that can continue to happen for months". Just what I needed to hear. In total I have now had 8 internal stitches pop through my skin. It doesn't hurt, I am just aware that it has happened.

Remedy - don't touch, pull or cut the thread sticking out, leave it alone, it will eventually fall off.

I am now 14 weeks post and the last stitch to come through was 2 weeks ago, so hopefully that is the end of that.

The strange thing is I never had any appear in the toilet bowl. Hmmmmm.

Regards
Gail
aka buckkieofoz
aka HSChat Gail
Unread 03-22-2002, 05:04 AM

Buckkie,

Just wondering; did you cut the little thread? If not, how long did it take to fall off? I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op and the thread is still holding tight.

Thanks,
janet
Unread 03-22-2002, 05:42 AM
stitches

hi there VickiR

I posted about this very same thing when I was 7 weeks post op. how embarrasing but my DBF found one "not going into details " After that I found a few more. It was so wierd. I called my Dr asking if this was all normal??? He giggled and said "I guess I should warn women about that"

I just told my DBF that he excited me so much I was falling apart at the "stitches" LOL

's all

Michele
Unread 03-22-2002, 06:30 AM

I have a situation more like Gail's. At one week post-op I had a stitch poking through incision. I just kept the incision very clean with antibacterial soap in shower, lots of rinsing, nothing else on incision, and the stitch dropped off at about 2-3 wks. post-op.

Now, this week I have new tenderness in incision but I also see a few stitches just below the surface so I presume they will either dissolve and be absorbed or will work their way out, much like a sliver sometimes does. The doc saw my incision like this at my 6-wk. post-op this week but his only comment was it looks great so either he didn't look very closely or didn't think it was a big deal. I'll just keep an eye on it in case of infection and see what happens.

Take care,
Helen
Unread 03-22-2002, 08:07 AM

Hi all,

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here

I haven't seen any stitches yet, but though the brain fog, I remember my Dr. telling me not to freak out if I see these stitches.

This is so comical, someone must have called her and said they had worms. Because she was very assuring to me, that they are not worms.

Chris

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register