What is dysplasia???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is dysplasia???? What is dysplasia????

Unread 03-25-2002, 08:22 PM
What is dysplasia????

I received a call from my doctor's office today with the preliminary results of the lab tests from my D&C last Wednesday & the diagnosis was dysplasia--but I can't find anything about that in any of my medical books. Does anyone know what that is, or what it means? Might this reduce the need for a hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 12:56 AM
What is dysplasia????

Hi, Jeandre! Dysplasia is cell growth that is abnormal, quite common in the uterus since the lining grows and is sloughed off every month. If that is your only diagnosis, it could mean that a hyst wouldn't be needed right away. There are probably other treatments that could be tried first, especially if you want to buy some time. This is the time when a second opinion from another Gyn is so valuable. A second dr may present other options to you that the first dr didn't. You can go to "search" at the top of the page and look for threads with "dysplasia" discussed. s and best wishes to you!
Ruthie
Unread 03-26-2002, 09:08 AM
Hi Jeandre

I just wanted to underscore what Ruthie has just said. Yes, it could mean that other medical treatments could be effective for you. But dysplasia also means you need to be careful and watch everything closely as I am sure your doctor's will. You may even want to get 2 or 3 more medical opinions if there is any disagreement about how you're doing and what the next step should be.
We're here for as you move through this.
Good luck.

Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Hi

I had dysplasia a 10 years back and they treated it with cryosurgery. They froze my cervix and had to repeat it 6 months later because they still found abnormal cells in my cervix. The doctor made me have a pap every 6 months to keep an eye on it. He told me it was a sort of pre-cancer. Be glad you caught it early! I had not had it for ten years. It was all gone! When I had my hyster.. I decided to remove cervix to be on safe side since they were going to be removing the uterous, figured might as well take that too! You shouldn't need to have a hyster... the cryo surgery was really not painful at all. The doctor did it right in his office with no pain killers. So good luck and ask your doctor what he or she is going to do. But don't leave it go.
Unread 03-26-2002, 06:58 PM
What is dysplasia????

Here's a link that may describe a little more about dysplasia.
http://www.baymoon.com/%7Ehpvinfo/li.../aa050101a.htm
You may also want to post a question about it on the cancer boards to see others experience of treatment with this. Good luck.
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:18 AM
Dysplasia

I have had dysplasia two times both bad that`s why i had my hyst.
Dysplasia is abnormal cells usually on your cervix. they are rated mild- moderate - severe and cancer. If left untreated it can develop into cancer That is why yearly paps are so important.
The treatment ranges depending on degree of dysplasia. Cryrosurgery( freezing of cells on cervix) is usually for mild - a LEEP (which is removal of the top layer of your cervix) usually for moderate. Conization ( when a cone sized piece of your cervix is removed) usually for severe.
I was told you had to have several cases of Mild or moderate before they do a hyst unless other problems are there also.
My doc told me it is caused by a virus but they can`t prevent it and don`t know why some women get it and some don`t.
I had carcinoma in situ- which means cancer in one spot and then severe dysplasia. My doc recommended the hyst because she was afraid it would be more cancer at a future point because the last time it progressed from one level to another so fast.
I think you need to ask your doc some more questions . If you have other problems that the hyst is needed for then dysplasia won`t change anything other than he might want to remove your cervix to be safe. Hope this helped answer your ?
Good luck Paula

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register