very, very scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

very, very scared very, very scared

Unread 03-26-2002, 12:07 PM
very, very scared

Brand new here, though I've visited this site several times recently, reading and learning from some very strong women. All I can say is that I hope I can help others out as much as you all have already helped me.
I'm scheduled tomorrow for a cold-knife cone biopsy. I have abnormal glandular cells and abnormal squamous cells. A year ago I had LEEP procedure done for moderate dysplasia. This time it is severe, and they also mentioned carcinoma in situ. I am 21 years old and desperately want children in the future. They told me that there will most likely be problems for me during pregnancy, and that I may not be able to have children at all because I have already had the LEEP done and now this cone biopsy. I was wondering if anyone has had the same circumstances and what the outcome was. Also any tips about the cone biopsy would be great because it really scares me. Thank you for your time and help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 12:38 PM
very, very scared

I am so sorry you are going through this at such a young age!! I had a cold knife cone last April. I was so scared, didn't know anyone who had had one!! I was under general anesthetic, but was able to go home that day. For me it wasn't very painful. My imagination was my worst enemy. I had it on a Fri and by Sat. night was feeling OK. It took a couple of groggy days for the anesthesia to wear off. I had a very light discharge for about 3 weeks.

I hope everything goes well for you!! Come here with all your questions! We all have experiences to share!
Unread 03-26-2002, 01:08 PM
very, very scared

Hi Tara, welcome to cancer concerns
I am so sorry of your diagnosis at such a young age.
I havent had a cone biopsy done but I did have a friend who had one and eventually went on to have a child a few years later. By caesarean section though with a stitch in the cervix to support the pregnancy .

If your Dr hasnt mentioned a hysterectomy as yet well that is good If you arent happy with any of the treatments offered then I would suggest getting a second opinion.

There is another good forum here on the site that you may be interested in ACHING HEARTS where many girls support each other with any sorrows they may have. please let us know how it all goes. love always xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2002, 01:36 PM
very, very scared

Hi Tara,

Sorry to hear you have to go through this. I just had my one and only cone biopsy four weeks ago. I had severe dysplasia diagnosed by pap smear, then coloposcopy biopsies. I am having a radical hysterectomy next week. I'm 43 years old.

For the cone biopsy, I was given Versed (great medication) to relax me prior to being given anesthesia. My doctor performed a cold knife cone biopsy. I stayed in Recovery (now called PACU) for about an hour or so and was able to go home. I slept the rest of the day, and was pretty groggy the next day and TIRED. I drank lots of water. I had a discharage for about three weeks (and had my period two days after the cone biopsy). Oh yeah, I took Motrin 600 mg the first night, but nothing for pain after that...only had some cramping that first afternoon/evening.

I read that people that have had cone biopsies and get pregnant are considered high risk pregnancy because of tissue taken from the cervix, but there are many OB/GYN doctors that specialize in this field.

Take it one step at a time. Hope your procedure goes well tomorrow and you are able to rest at home later. When you feel up to it, let us know how you are doing.
Unread 03-26-2002, 03:38 PM
very, very scared

Tara,
I am just adding some hugs. I am so sorry that at such a young age you need to go through this. Try not to get ahead of yourself, just take it one day at a time.
Remember we will all be here for you to listen, give hugs, an pray.
Valentina
Unread 03-26-2002, 08:28 PM
very, very scared

Tara:

I have been posting here due to ovarian cancer, but when I read your message I wanted to share my cone biopsy experience which I have pretty much forgotten about since it has been so long ago.

I am 48 now, but when I was 21 just like you, I had a cone biopsy (don't know if cold knife or ?). I had a general anesthesia and spent 2 days in the hospital (remember this was 27 years ago). I had carcinoma in situ and severe dysplasia. I was married at the time and following the cone, the doctors told me that if I wanted to have children to try immediately as I was going to have to have a hyster as it was getting worse. They also told me it was going to be harder to get pregnant and that the odds were against it.

Well, I got pregnant and delivered a healthy baby boy who is now older than you are! I had no big complications other than he was born 4 weeks early, but had no problems. Following his birth, they monitored me closely and said that things looked okay for me to try again before the hyster. 22 months later I had another boy, no complications,no nothing (and I mean no nothing - this was when natural childbirth was fashionable).

After his birth, the dysplasia was holding off. They said this was due to the hormones during pregnancy and delivery. I never had to have the hyster (that is until last month!) and in fact had a tubal ligation (tubes tied) a year later. How's that for ironic?

Anyway, the point is that it was possible for me to have 2 successful pregnancies following a cone biopsy.

Keep on top of this and take care. My thoughts are with you. This is scary but keep writing to let us know how you are.
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:41 PM
very, very scared

{{Tara}}

I'm so glad you found our site and I'm very sorry you are having to go through this. Please know I'll be keeping you in my prayers and hope that the cone will take care of everything.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:31 PM
very, very scared

Hi
I had a hysterectomy 4 months ago for what was thought to be carcinoma in situ both gladular and squamous. I have two children and did want a third but did not want to take the chance.

If I had not had children yet, I would have done what you are doing. I do know several women who have both Leep procedures and Cones and were able to conceive and have full term pregnancies.

After your cone, please make sure to take high doses of folic acid. It is supposed to prevent dysplasia. I wish that I had done that.

Good Luck. I am sorry that you have to go through this so young. I was 35 when I was diagnosed and I felt young.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Denise
Unread 04-01-2002, 06:52 PM
very, very scared

Hi, {{{Tara}}}

Just wanted to add some more 's for you. I hope your cone went well. Let us know how you're getting along when you're feeling up to it.
Unread 04-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Hi Tara

Hi Tara- I am 29 and I am feeling for you now. When I had my leep, I was concerned about the future, when I had to have a cone, I really was under the impression that it meant I could not have a successful pregnancy. As many women have told you before my post, YOU CAN! You can have a cervical circlauge (stitch) in case your cervix weakens as your baby grows, if you choose to have children. The great thing is you are young, and your body CAN handle this. Moderate dysplasia is treatable and do not let anyone do anything else after the cone without a second opinion!!! Do you have HPV? I am here for you, and please write to me because I understand!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register