managing chronic pain unrelated to hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

managing chronic pain unrelated to hysterectomy managing chronic pain unrelated to hysterectomy

Unread 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
managing chronic pain unrelated to hysterectomy

Hi everyone,

I had a LAVH+BSO twelve days ago, and aside from some complications from the anaesthetic immediately after the procedure I've been doing very well. The most difficult part so far has been dealing with longstanding joint and muscle pain. I have hypermobile joints, which means they pop out of place quite easily and cause the surrounding muscles to seize up. This is a particular problem with my sacroiliac joints in my pelvis, which results in my hips becoming misaligned.

Usually, I manage this condition by doing a variety of physiotherapy and Pilates exercises, as well as by doing mobilization techniques with accupressure balls and a foam roller. With these interventions I can usually move the joint back into place. However, I haven't done any of this since the surgery for the obvious reason that I don't want to hurt myself, and as a result I'm in a fair bit of discomfort. In particular, right now my hip flexors and glutes are extremely tight, and I'm worried that the pulling sensation I feel around one of the lower incisions indicates that the muscle tightness is interfering with healing.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can share any personal experiences concerning the following questions:

1. Has anyone has similar issues trying to manage chronic pain issues post-operatively? How did you cope?

2. Has anyone used muscle relaxers after surgery? I've only been taking extra strength Tylenol and ibuprofen this far, and the only pain I'm in is that tightness I mentioned. I think Robaxacet might help (it usually does), and I will call my pharmacist, but am curious of others have used it for similar reasons.

3. What about self-massage? I've read that massage is a contraindication for hysterectomies for six weeks but have already had some relief from hitting trigger points in my hip flexors/IT bands. However, I'm scared to try this on my glutes/butt given how close that is to the surgical site. What about the gentle use of a foam roller? Has anyone used that relatively early post-op, and if so, how did it go?

This was a much longer post than I anticipated but thank you to everyone who reads and anyone who replies!

-E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Re: managing chronic pain unrelated to hysterectomy

Though not a similar condition, I do have a chronic pain condition, fibromyalgia. The pain did flare up immensely post op.

Besides my regular Cymbalta, my regular doctor did put me on muscle relaxer, Flexeril, for a couple of months. This did help.

Massage was difficult since my trigger points were so inflamed. A heating pad helped to relief some of the pain.

I am now doing Pilates (doctor has to clear you) and this helps with stretching.

Perhaps you can give the doctor that treats you a call for suggestions. I hope you get relief.
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Re: managing chronic pain unrelated to hysterectomy

I also have similar muscle pain issues. I went for a massge at 1 1/2 weeks post-op and have gone every week. I didn't realize it was contraindicated for 6 weeks, which is weird, because I've been to massge school and don't remember that, also think my massage therapist would have mentioned it. I only laid on my back and she mostly just worked my legs. I have some serious hip and sacro-iliac issues as well and she's working those areas tomorrow. I know I need to have the iliocostalis muscle worked, but have been holding off on that because of where it is.

I started light stretching/yoga during week 2, I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow, and was able to take one walk during week 2, but haven't been able to again due to weather. I broke out the foam roller today because my hip hurt so bad it wouldn't support my leg. I only had one incision in my belly button, so I think that gives me a little more flexibility in what I can do. At my one week appt my doctor told me to do what my body felt like it needed. I have been very careful when stretcing my abdomen, so as not to tear internal stitches. At this point I think it is a risk I need to take as I have to be able to move. It is kind of a catch-22, but I'm feeling like I'm doing ok.

I take both baclofen and flexeril.

I hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register