taxol dilemma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

taxol dilemma taxol dilemma

Unread 03-28-2002, 06:46 AM
taxol dilemma

I've been reading about some of the discussions that took place at the recent ovarian cancer conference in Miami. Apparently studies have been done that show receiving extra doses of taxol (three to twelve) after completing the standard treatment protocol are showing to prolong that first remission. I am interested in perhaps doing this. I realize no one knows the long term effect of taxol on our bodies. However, I did tolerate the drug pretty well. Never had to delay treatments due to low blood counts etc. The baldness is not a strong issue for me. I will be going with my sister to her post op visit with the gyn onc who did her surgery. I am thinking of getting his take on the additional taxol dilemma so I can be armed with his opinion as well when I approach my own onc. This could certainly lessen the quality of my summer, (and last summer is a blur) but if it prolongs my life? Any thoughts from you all? If so, please share them.
karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 12:14 PM
taxol dilemma

Hi Karen,
This is certainly interesting, and since I didn't have taxol, I really can't say alot here, but I will share something with you that I found out about some types of chemo.
I was researching the 3 drugs I was on, and chemo in general, and I read where it stated that althought chemo is wonderful and works very well, there is a down side to it sometimes...and I stress the word sometimes here.
I can't remember if it was one of the drugs I was on, or if it was just in the general chemo info, but it stated that in some cases a person who has received chemo, can develop lukemia many years later as a result of it.
I spoke to my oncologist about it. I asked if it was true, and he said, yes it is possible, but it would take 20 years or so to show up. I remember at the time thinking gosh I will only be 62 in 20 years....but then I thought well I can't very well quit the treatments and of course continued.
So...I am just saying this because it may be something you would want to check into as well, as I am sure the amount given over the course of a lifetime, may play a part in whether one would be more prone to develop the lukemia later in life. I remember it really amazed me to think that this was possible, but we all know chemo is a very strong chemical solution.

I will be anxious to hear what your doctor thinks of the idea.
Have a great Easter Karen!!
Hugs
Maria xoxo
Unread 03-28-2002, 12:28 PM
taxol dilemma

Hi Maria
Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. Yes, I am fully aware of the potential for other diseases down the rode as a consequence of having chemotherapy. Leukemia and lymphomas probably being the most frequent. However, being a stage III c ovarian cancer survivor, I am fully aware of how recurrent this disease is and what the five year survival rate is. If this increases my chance of being around for the cure, I kinda feel like I need to do all I can with what'a available to me now. I sound like I am practicing what I am planning to say to my oncologist. Thanks for being my sounding board yet again. s karenann
And Happy Easter to you as well!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2002, 04:24 PM
taxol dilemma

Karenann,
Of course I do not have any answers as far as the chemo, my form of torture was radiation. I just wanted to tell you that in reading your posts I find such encouragement for my self. You are such a great inspiration t us all! Thankyou!
Sending thoughts and prayers,
Valentina
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:57 AM
taxol dilemma

Hi Karen!

I'm interested in hearing what your Onc's opinion is on this. I don't remember if I've heard about this, could be the

So, now you've got me curious, I'll have to bring this up to mine at my appointment next week.

You know, while I also have read the "stats" on ovarian, over and over. I still fully believe this information to be horribly outdated and very disheartening to many of us. I absolutely refuse to believe that with all the new treatment options available that we can't beat this and prove those darn "statistics" WRONG!!!

Sorry, went off on a tangent there, must be gearing up for my visit and putting my battle armor on.

Keep me posted on what your Dr says, I'll let you also know what mine says.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 03-30-2002, 07:13 AM
fyi

I just thought I would let you ladies know....I just read an article that there is a whole slew of new drugs to combat cancer coming on the market soon...and that a cure is just around the corner.
Every time I get nervous, that is what I think about, that if there is to be a recurrence or if it shows up somewhere else, by that time......there will be so many other developments.

I also saw a special on TV the other night, that mentions as did Vicki....that cancer will soon be considered a chronic illness that can be treated.
Hugs.....
Valentina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register