how long is a piece of string? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long is a piece of string? how long is a piece of string?

Unread 03-30-2002, 11:08 AM
how long is a piece of string?

Hi,
Could anyone give me an idea as to how long it will be before I will be able to drive myself about? Will I be able to do simple tasks for myself in my home? They seem silly questions but they are now really worring me. My DH is self employed and will not be around to help. NO work, no money and my wage will drop by half, so I will be on my own, I am scared of being unable to do things.
I usually work full time and run my home myself, and being unable to do the everyday things is worring me. Just what will I be able to do in the first few weeks?
I so want to have the Hyst(TAH or TVH, wont know for sure until week before op.) But It seems to cause so many problems and I feel that not being able to bring in a full paycheck or doing what I usually do at home for my family is causing my family to suffer as well. I feel so guilty and so stressed and so pathetic.
Any answers and any advice will be gladly accepted.

:confuse:
JuneT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 11:37 AM

Hi, JuneT,

Only your doctor can answer your question about driving. Most doctors want women to wait at least two weeks after a hyst, before they drive. For me, even riding in a car was painful, for several weeks after my hysterectomy. My doctor told me I could drive after two weeks, but I didn't feel ready yet. Here's a link, where driving is discussed:

When can I drive after my hysterectomy?

On the Hystersisters home page, under "Punctured Princesses" you'll find a pull-down menu, where you may find answers to some of your questions. Especially check out "I'm bored" and "light housework." These will give you some ideas, but your doctor should be the authority on this subject.

Initial recovery takes six to eight weeks after a hysterectomy, and it's important to allow yourself to heal during that time, so you won't run into problems in the future.

For your family, check out "How to care for a punctured princess" on the "Ladies-in-waiting" pull-down menus, and "FAQ." I'd encourage you not to feel guilty about needing this surgery. Take good care of yourself during the recovery period, and you'll be as good as new in six to eight weeks.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 03-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Hi JuneT

Welcome to HysterSisters.
Please try to relax a little and not be so hard on yourself.
This is a big decision and a big step. I am sure you have not come to the decision to have a hysterectomy easily. For most of us the reasons were already effecting our own health and functioning which of course ultimately effects the whole family.
Every woman is so different which you probably already know from reading the posts. The type of surgery and type of incision also seem to effect the recovery rate. It appears that for many the TVH can have a quicker recovery. But the type of surgery will have to be determined by you and your doctor.
However, let me stress that this is major surgery. And please give yourself adequate rest when you come home. You will be mobile in the hospital and when you come home. For most of us that means going to the bathroom, taking a shower, taking a little walk, going to the kitchen for juice or a snack. This is all you should do for the first few weeks. Even if you feel good which many of us do, it is TOO EASY to OVERDO and end up in pain or worse.
If you can line up friends, family, neighbors, to each help out a little bit hopefully it will not be too much of a burden for anyone.
For me one of the hardest things I had to learn through all this was how to ask for help.
There are wonderful pull down menus on the HOME page under
Punctured Princess that will give you some pointers on driving, housework etc. Here is one to get you started.
https://www.hystersisters.com/drive.php
I will that all goes well and that you will feel better than ever when all this is over. Your family will benefit along with you.
Keep reading and posting. And be good to yourself. You deserve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 02:24 PM

JuneT, I think of my hyst as an investment in my future. It's a short-term loss of time, money, and energy that will reap huge dividends starting in just 6-8 weeks.

Whatever you do for $$ now, you'll probably be better at it afterwards because you won't be suffering whatever is pushing you to have the hyst to begin with. I missed a *lot* of work due to cramps, and wasn't at my best some of the time I was there.

I think there's a time and place for being "selfish". This is it.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:42 PM

Hi.

I have a few posts under cosmocyndi. (3)Maybe you can read them to catch up on me and my experience. All under pre-hyst.

My dr. said no driving for 3 weeks and I will tell you that a trip in the car isn't easy like one of the others mentioned. Today I am at day 12 and there is an improvement from week one, but it is a slow process, at least for me. You can't pick up anything off the floor, put on your socks by yourself, or worse yet, those white hose for your legs to prevent blood clots the first week. The cough you will have will be hard on the belly. It is hard to go from sitting to standing so just know you are very limited and so you might want to have a friend or family member day sit you. You will really need them to get you food and warm it up and drinks and so forth. My hubby is also self employed and we are without insurance and I know your pain there. I am off work without pay for the recovery too. Just remember that you will get by and our health is the most important thing right now. You won't be able to shop so you'll be suprised what little you will need. The bills don't stop, but there is less eating out for the family that adds up and the extra goodies we pick up at the department store....so you'll need less as you are home. Surely someone will bring a bit of food from time to time and that will feed the family and leave some left overs. Just trust in God that all will work out.

Think positive!
cosmocyndi
Unread 03-30-2002, 08:04 PM

Hi, June -

A couple of things to add to Helen's info.

Your inability to bring in a paycheck and do everything you usually do around the house is temporary. Your family WILL survive. You may need to let a few things go (like housework)..my floors haven't been washed for weeks, and amazingly, the world has not collapsed :-).

Everyone is different so I can't say what you will be able to do, but I was absolutely able to do simple tasks for myself...I just severly limited those tasks initially. I concentrated on resting, walking, and drinking lots of fluids. All I really needed was to walk to the fridge and sink to get simple food and drinks. I found it helpful initially to put everything I thought I'd need at waist level (like almost everything I did, I read that here). You may want to take showers only when someone's home for the first few days. I had no problems with that, but some women find they're a bit unsteady initially. Find yourself a spot (or several) not too far from a bathroom, on a bed or couch or recliner mostly, and take things slow. See if any friends or neigbors could check in with you or help out if you need some assistance. Most of them will probably feel wonderful to be able to help.

As for driving, as Helen said, talk to your doctor - I was officially released to drive (I think) at 2 weeks, but have not really needed to yet. If I had to, I could, though.

As for the guilt - your family needs you to get healthy - that's way more important long term than a few weeks of things not being normal. Keep in mind that this is all temporary.
Unread 03-30-2002, 08:28 PM
regarding driving

With a TAH/BSO, the driving restriction is usually 6 weeks. At least it was for me, and I've seen a lot of other posts here that have that same restricted length of time.

And it is only this week (week four post op) that I've thought that driving would NOT be a major effort on my part.
Of course that feeling is only a feeling - I haven't done any experimenting. By evening time, I don't want to make that sort of effort, and resign myself to another couple of weeks of waiting.

Whatever your restricted time turns out to be, go slowly.
I feel WONDERFUL when I get up in the morning, all set to take on daily battles. But by evening - without having done ANYTHING - I feel like I have been run over by a truck.

Take care, and heal well,
(only 2 weeks to go) H. Jane

Whatever I say is not medically grounded. Check with your doctor to be sure.
Unread 03-30-2002, 11:55 PM
Thank you

Hi to Helen, Shelley,Mellisa,Cosmocyndi,Alisa and H Jane,

I would like to thank you all for all your kindness and replies. You have all helped me feel a little better, its good to be able to comunicate with other ladies who can understand my feelings and help to put them into some kind of prospective. (Mines an all male family!)
I will try to follow your advice, and I know at the back of my mind I am blowing things out of proportion, so all yor replys have helped to calm me down a bit, and now I feel more able to carry on. I guess The sooner 24th April comes along it will be better, because then things will improve daily. Thanks again for all your prayers and your help, I hope in turn all of you are well, and your futures will be all sunny. You all deserve it

From
JuneT
Unread 03-31-2002, 10:31 AM

Glad you're feeling a bit better, June - that's what all these great women are here for! It really is helpful to talk to people who understand, because we've all been there. A lot of us tend to imagine the worst possible outcome and stress a bit (or a lot...hee hee) about all of that unknown stuff! I know for me, imagining the worst and figuring out that I can somehow deal with that makes it easier, and then hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised if the reality is better than my imaginings.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register