I am freaked out about this whole "spinal thingie going in my back" - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am freaked out about this whole "spinal thingie going in my back" I am freaked out about this whole "spinal thingie going in my back"

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:58 AM
Feeling Better

Thanks for your post CM3. I know it's made me feel better, and much more informed, about a choice I am going to have to make soon. I hope it helped you too Julieroo.

GardenSheena
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 09:13 AM
I am freaked out about this whole "spinal thingie going in my back"

Julie I would check with my doctor, usually you are give a choice, but I quess it would depend on what is being done.

Archide
Unread 04-02-2002, 01:11 PM

I had a spinal with morphine for my TVH on ???(when was it? I can't remember the date! 2 weeks ago plus some days)

The anestesiologist (sp?!) asked if I wanted to be awake and I said no. He told me he would add something to my IV which would relax me, kind of like a couple of glasses of wine would. I walked into the operating room, hopped up on the table, was told to lean forward because it would be easier to do the spinal and that is the last thing I remember until the surgery was over. I actually started to come to right as the doc was finishing. I was waking myself with my snoring! I did that 3-4 times, the last time I decided I was embarrassing myself so lifted my head to see what was going on and the doctor was taking my legs down. I then went to the recovery room and asked for water, they gave me ice chips and was impressed that I was talking and telling them I was hungry. I didn't stay there long before being moved to my room.
It is wierd when it starts to wear off, it starts at your toes and works its way up. My butt was the last to get feeling back.

I had very little pain, had experienced cramps much worse than what I felt. The only side effect was the terrible itching I had from the morphine that was in with the spinal. Not everyone gets the itching, in fact, very few do. Guess I am just one of the unlucky ones. Most people are ok, with benadryl, not me! Needed something from the pharmacy to stop it.

I left the hospital the following morning. I gave up the Tylonal 3's three days after surgery and only now and then need Advil. Seems like I need them more now than in the early days.

All in all you could say my experience with a spinal was great! And I was terrified that it would hurt, have a headache, vomit....Nothing.

Talk more with your Doctor and good luck with what ever you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:14 PM

Like many of the others and you, I was definitely freaked out by some of the issues of a spinal...and equally freaked out by some of the issues of general anesthesia.

My doc prefers the spinal with sedation, because he said the morphine will allow you to wake with less pain and need less medication later (I had no additional pain med till the next morning). I also talked at length with the anesthesiologist, who told me that there are different risks with each type, but similar percentages (very very very low) of problems.

I opted for the spinal. I read on here that they often give you a "don't care" drug and a "don't remember" drug. I think I got both. Last thing I recall was the nurse talking to me and stroking my hand, the anesthesiologist telling me she was going to put the needle in and I wouldn't feel it (I didn't), and my funny doc telling me not to roll over 'cause he was taking away the table I'd been on, and he didn't want to have to pick the pieces of me up from the floor. I was apparently awake, cause the anesthesiologist swears she talked to me and I answered during surgery! And they do keep track of how you are. She says she kept asking how I was, and then at one point near the end I grimanced. She asked if I was hurting, I apparently said I was a little, and she immediately knocked me out all the way.

Next thing I knew, I was in recovery, wide awake, no pain. Spoke to a lot of friends and family on the phone within a few hours - they couldn't believe I was so alert and able to talk normally.

If you decide to go ahead with a spinal, call and talk to one of the anesthesiologists at the hospital. Tell them your concerns. Ask about the 'don't care" and "don't remember" drugs.

I do think the idea of listening to music with a headphone would be good in any case if you have a spinal.
Unread 04-02-2002, 10:30 PM
Had a Spinal

I had a spinal for my surgery on 3/26. I preferred being dead from the waste down to having a tube crammed down my throat to breathe for me. I had a happy drug - versed, I think. I was soooooo tired from the cleaning and shopping to prepare the house for surgery and from a week of tossing and turning that I slept through most of the surgery. I heard the doctors chatting, I heard my doctor say how well things were going at the point when she pulled the uterus out, and I heard them discussing my blood pressure, which runs low. The anesthesiologist assured them it was normal for me and I went back to sleep. I dozed through most of it. The anesthesiologist woke me up to tell me it was over and one of the nurses asked if I wanted to see "it". I said I did and she laughed. She said, "they always want to see it, they just never want to ask." I was glad for the opportunity to see the uterus because I won't have to spend the rest of my life second-guessing my decision to go the hysterectomy route. From what I've read, my uterus was at least double the size of a healthy uterus. (Even with post-operative swelly-belly, I'm not as swollen as I was before the surgery.) The nurse pointed out the largest of my two fibroids, which was helpful because I had never had a clear mental picture of where it was located, despite my doctor's attemps to explain it. If you're not visual, that might not be as important to you. The spinal wore off shortly after the surgery, and other than what was in my IV which was removed that evening, I've never had to take a stronger pain killer than over-the-counter Ibuprofin. (And Gas-X. Don't forget to stock up on Gas-X!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register