Atypical cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Atypical cells Atypical cells

Unread 04-01-2002, 06:09 PM
Atypical cells

I was directed to check out this message board following my appointment with my doctor today as a post-op from my D&C nearly 2 weeks ago.
He had originally told me I had large & numerous fibroids in my uterus (enlarging it to the point of a 4 month pregnancy), but today he also told me the lab reports came back as hyperplasia with atypical cells & that this means a 30%-40% chance of it developing into cancer, & given this high percentage, he is certainly recommending a hysterectomy.
I am stunned! My mind is spinning! Aside from this single gal having to come to terms with the loss of the dream of children of my own, this cancer thing scares me.
He wants to take the uterus & cervix (how common is that?) & hopes he can leave at least one of the ovaries & therefore I should not need hormones. What impact will this have on my sex life? How soon should I try to get this done? Can I wait a little bit in order to get my work & life in order first? (like wait until June due to work training, etc.) Since he's recommending abdominal surgery due to the size of the uterus, how long will I be off work?
They plan to biopsy the uterus, so what if there is cancer & what if it has already spread? If not, how soon might it turn into cancer &/or spread?
Any thoughts, concerns, etc., please let me know! Thanks!
Jeandre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Atypical cells

Hi Jeandre, welcome to cancer concerns sorry that you had to visit us but when facing a cancer scare it is really the best place to be. We all have been where you are now.

I cant help with the type of cancer that you are dealing with but there are a couple of women who can and I am sure they will be along very soon to help.

Another great forum that you may like to visit is aching hearts where there are quite a few women dealing with the emotions that come with not having children

You need to sit down and write all these questions out and make a visit to see the Gyn/onc and have him explain them.

I waited to have my hysterectomy due to a number of reasons and what was precancer eventually progressed to cancer . So waiting is probably not a good idea but that is my opionion. Once again your Dr can advise.

Taking the uterus and cervix is very common. As is leaving ovaries if they are healthy.

Please remember we are all here for you. take care and please do let us know how you are going . love always xx
Unread 04-01-2002, 07:34 PM
{{{Jeandre}}}

I had uterine cancer. It is very survivable even if they do find cancer. Many of us on the boards only needed a hyst to 'cure' us. I had an organ wash {a chemo solution} to kill any free floating cancer cells. They have caught this very early with you as it is still atypia hyperplasia that was found in your D and C.

As Robyn says, please write all these questions down and ask your Dr. I don't know how fast spreading your condition is. There are many different kinds of cells that appear in these conditions and only your Dr. will know what kind yours are.

Taking the uterus and cervix is quite common with pre cancerous and cancerous conditions. I was told my ovaries had to go, too, due to family history of ovarian cancer. I am not on HRT, but I am doing pretty well in the Desert Oasis {the forum for no HRT gals like myself}.

We will be here for you, Jeandre. We have lots of 's for you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Atypical cells

Jeandre.....whew....you sound like me, with the questions. Certainly we can help with some, but realize alot of the answers to your questions varies from person t person.
Please, first of all, take it one day at a time. If it is cancer, it is a cureable cancer, if it is endometrial.
I am really sorry about you being left childless, you may want to considr going for another opinion. You ask all the right questions. Bring your list with you, your gyn/oncologist should answer them for you. I have also heard of instances where they try to cure some cancers with hormones for women that are young and want to have children. I think you would want to explore all o your options, hece a recommend another opinion.
But most important remember take it one day at a time, and we here will be there to walk the walk, you will never be alone.
Hang in there, and keep us posted.
Valentina
Unread 04-02-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi Jeandre

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. We are here for you. We all know what a scary time this can be.
The good news is Endometrial Cancer (if that is what you have) is usually caught very early before it has spread. And most of us do not need any other treatment beyond the hysterectomy.
I don't mean to minimize the impact of the hysterectomy alone. That is alot to deal with especially when you are still hoping for children. We have lot's of support here for you including the Aching Hearts Forum that was already mentioned.
I agree with Valentina that another opinion might be in order. I wouldn't want you to wait if you need the hysterectomy now. But it is worth it to make sure and give you some peace of mind. I do know one woman with your diagnosis who is trying to conceive now and then will have the hysterectomy. Needless to say there is some risk here. She is working very, very closely with many doctor's.
I had a horizontal incision and am almost 6 weeks post op. I could definitely go back to work now if I needed to. Some doctors want to do the vertical incision with cancer. That can take a little longer to heal for some women. We are all different. 6-8 weeks is normal but it can take longer to really feel 100% again.
Most women get back a healthy sex life. It takes time for the body to heal and time to get things back in balance whether through HRT or other means. But this is not the end of that part of your life.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 04-02-2002, 09:54 AM
Atypical cells

Hi, Jeandre,

I received the same diagnosis the beginning of March. My surgery will be April 15th. From everything I have learned, this is a pre- cancerous condition. Even though I was told this, I still worried, so I asked my doctor point blank how much I should worry. (I was having anxiety attacks) He said that the D & C reported no cancer, and he did not see anything "nasty" in the hysteroscopy. But he also said there could still be something they missed. He was firm in his opinion that even if there was something there, it had to be very small, and the hysterectomy was usually the only "cure" needed. They will still look carefully. He said if there was any question, they would then do the lymph nodes and consider more treatments.

So I "probably" don't have cancer. Have I stopped worrying like he told me? Of course not. But I am anxious to get this done, so I can quit worrying or know the truth.

As young as you are, do get a second opinion. Good luck,

Debbie

Unread 04-03-2002, 02:19 AM
Atypical cells

Hi, Jeandre. I can definitely understand how you feel! I, too, have been diagnosed with CHA and 2 surgeons and an oncologist have recommended a hyster. However, I (with my family physician's blessing) have chosen to go the hormone route. Even though I am 55 and "don't need my uterus" any more (personally, I've become very attached to it LOL), I think surgery is too often given as the only option. I realize there is a 25-30% chance of developing cancer IF LEFT UNTREATED, but I am treating it with Megace which is a progestin used to treat recurrent and metatastic breast and uterine cancers. This treatment is usually only offered to women who wish to preserve their child-bearing capabilities, not an "old" woman like me. I have been on it for 6 months now and just had my first biopsy. My endometrium is still too thick (1.5 cm down from 2.5 cm originally). Dr. was hoping it would be less than 1.0. Have to go back in 6 months for another biopsy. But would rather go through a biopsy every 6 months than a hyster!!! Anyway, I just wanted you to know there is another option, that a hysterectomy isn't the only way to go. Please keep researching and asking questions!!!! What is right for someone else may not be right for you!. Wishing you well ~ Betty
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:09 AM
Atypical cells

Hi Jeandre:

My diagnosis is complex hyperplasia atypia -- I can't help you with the fibroids -- but it's my understanding that this stage of hyperplasia is not cancerous, but may become cancerous if not treated. My dr offered me hormone therapy in place of a hyst, but after hearing some of the side effects of the therapy -- I decided to go with the hyst. He was concerned about my ovaries as well and has decided to take them out too.

I really feel for you about the no children issues...I am 34 and only getting married next year. On the bright side, my mother had a hysterectomy at 29 and only had my brother at the time...they adopted me a few years later. I am not taking my inability to have children too hard because I am living proof of the options out there if you really desire a child.

Best of luck and love to you!!

Deb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register