Does ovary size mean anything? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does ovary size mean anything? Does ovary size mean anything?

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:29 PM
Does ovary size mean anything?

I'm really wordy, but I'm trying really hard to not be that way now. Honest

After reading a post in the Pre-op part (I think), it just occurred to me that the difference in size between my ovaries might not be a good thing. I'm trying real hard to be calm.

I've had two internal ultra sounds. One (done in '99) says "Follicular sized cysts are present in the right ovary. The left ovary is small, measuring only 1.5 cm." The other ultra sound (done '01) says "The right ovary measures 2.3 X 2.8 X 3.6 cm. The left ovary measures 1.9 X 1.7 X 1.9 cm."

Am having a hyst April 29th for heavy, prolonged bleeding, have bled to anemia 3 (or is it four times now?), fibroids, suspected adenomyosis (after D&C last year). I'm very fatigued now. I will have pain, but definitely not to the level so many of the ladies say. When I do have pain, it is on the right side, low.

I've always wondered after I got these reports, what difference does it make that the left ovary is small? Then after reading that post earlier tonight, it just made me think that maybe the right ovary is larger because something is wrong. I've read lots on this site, plus went to the cancer concerns different websites, trying to get a quick answer to the size question--no quick answer. The symptoms for ovarian cancer are so vague, I could answer yes to several. My Mom has had breast and uterine (I think) cancers.

See the direction my mind is going?

I am a decent patient, I think--I mean, asking questions, trying to help myself get better when I feel bad, etc., etc, and I just can't believe I didn't press for an answer--any kind of answer--after I saw these reports.

I know that I will need to get in contact w/the Dr's office, but I thought maybe in the meantime, someone here could answer my question--is it a bad thing that one ovary is smaller/larger than the other?

I did not take it lightly when I decided to post in Cancer Concerns. There are so many very serious issues in this forum. I don't want to take away from that.

Thank you very much for muddling through this post-------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:56 PM
Does ovary size mean anything?

Hi Jeannie!

Welcome to Hystersisters. I can understand how your thoughts might lead you in this direction, given your family history, that's certainly only natural.

I can't remember anything specific regarding difference of sizes but will share a few things my Gyn/Oncologist mentioned on how they determine that they "might" be dealing with a cancer outside of pathology anyway.

He said that one of the ways they tell is not only the size but shape, texture and density of it. A round, smooth evenly shaped "mass" that is not opaque is possibly not as likely to be cancerous as one that is misshapen, bumpy sort of texture and solid. Nothing is ever certain until pathology is performed however.

I don't know if this helps any but I hope all turns out well for you and nothing to worry about. I would call your Dr if this is something that will cause you to worry in the meantime.

Please keep us posted on how things go for you and know that you'll be in our prayers for your upcoming surgery.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register