Scheduled LAVH One week to go until my hysterectomy, and so much on my mind with preparing for both before and after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week to go until my hysterectomy, and so much on my mind with preparing for both before and after surgery One week to go until my hysterectomy, and so much on my mind with preparing for both before and after surgery

Unread 03-26-2014, 07:18 AM
One week to go until my hysterectomy, and so much on my mind with preparing for both before and after surgery

This time next week, they will be getting ready wheel me into the OR. I still have so much to do and so much on my mind.

First of all, I feel like my dh has unrealistic expectations for my recovery. The doc is planning LAVH, removing uterus, tubes, and cervix, but has warned several times that he may have to convert to TAH because of scar tissue and the location of my fibroid. Either way, I'm looking at a minimum of 2-4 weeks of recovery. DH seems to think I'll be resuming my normal daily routine almost right away. I even sent him the link to the Mister Hyster FAQ's, so he could see I wasn't exaggerating, but he just rolled his eyes and told me about his boss' wife that was back to work within a few days. OMG. I was going to make a month's worth of freezer dinners and he acted like that was too much. He said he's able to cook for a few days. Um, really? What are we having for dinner? Hot dogs and mac & cheese? lol. It makes me want to NOT prep meals for him and let him get a better idea of what I do around here.

Second, I don't have to do bowel prep (yay!) but I want to be as empty as possible before my surgery. I've had 2 c-sections & I know how hard it is to go to the bathroom afterward. I've thought about taking a stool softener for a few days before and a few days after surgery. Does anyone think that would be okay?

Thirdly, I'm on 800mg Ibuprofen for chronic pain. I know that this type of medicine is a mild blood thinner, but he didn't tell me not to take it. I know I should err on the side of caution, but Tylenol just doesn't help much. ugh.

Finally (well, not really, but for now I guess lol), from about 5 days after my surgery, I'll be at home alone with my 2 year old during the day. I know I'll have a lift restriction, so I won't be able to pick her up. I'm worried about helping her on and off the toilet. Someone suggested a "squatty potty" which would make it easier for me, but I'm worried it will mess up her potty training. Kinda like going backwards, I think. Plus, she won't be able to nap in her bed because I can't get her in & out of it. That means she won't be napping much because she's very set in her ways about sleeping only in her bed. She doesn't even sleep with me - too stimulating for her I guess. If she doesn't get her usual 2+ hour nap, it's going to be rough on both of us, lol. I don't really have a lot of support through all of this. My mother has proved to be very flippant about what my needs may or may not be, my sister works full time, but is planning to stop by on her only day off. She happens to be a very flighty person though, so even though she has the best of intentions, I'll believe it when I see it. My only other person is my cousin, to whom I'm very close. She's already staying with my youngest and getting the older two on and off their school buses on the day of the surgery. She has also offered to come on her day off the during that first week I'm alone, but she works 45+ hours a week and has a 3 year old of her own. I hate asking her for so much...

Help me get through this, sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Re: One week to go, and so much on my mind.

WOW! I'm exhausted just reading your email. I had tah 3/11. I took stool softeners for about a week before hand, and still take them now. I also took my 800's right up to the night before surgery. I'd check with my dr if I were you.

As for Mr. DH........is he taking any time off to help? I couldn't lift a gallon of milk out of the fridge so I can't imagine trying to lift a little 2 year old. And I certainly wouldn't kill myself stocking up the freezer. If he moans about food then tell him to call his boss's wife - she sounds like Superwoman. Sending you positive thoughts for a comfortable recovery, Lisa xxx
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Wow sounds like you are going to be busy during your recovery. I have my surgery in two days and there is no bowel preperation. I plan on eating a little lighter and getting some extra fluids. I wonder if your two year old would be open to using a step stool? Might be useful to be able hold their hand as they use the step stool to get to potty or bed. Just a thought. Remember to get the help where you can and try not to overdue things. Wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa404 View Post
WOW! I'm exhausted just reading your email. I had tah 3/11. I took stool softeners for about a week before hand, and still take them now. I also took my 800's right up to the night before surgery. I'd check with my dr if I were you.

As for Mr. DH........is he taking any time off to help? I couldn't lift a gallon of milk out of the fridge so I can't imagine trying to lift a little 2 year old. And I certainly wouldn't kill myself stocking up the freezer. If he moans about food then tell him to call his boss's wife - she sounds like Superwoman. Sending you positive thoughts for a comfortable recovery, Lisa xxx
I think you're my new bff! The boss's wife comment had me cracking up! LOL.

As for the food, I've decided to do it anyway, but scaled way back. I guess what ticked me off about that was that he didn't seem to realize it was to help HIM. In his defense, he's the love of my life, soul mate, etc. He's just kinda dumb when it comes to this type of thing. But heaven forbid he have a minor cold or something like that, lol. He is taking off the day of my surgery, plus the next day or two, depending on when I am released from the hospital. Surgery is Wednesday, so he will definitely be back to work on Monday.

Thanks for the good vibes for my recovery
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ealasaid View Post
Wow sounds like you are going to be busy during your recovery. I have my surgery in two days and there is no bowel preperation. I plan on eating a little lighter and getting some extra fluids. I wonder if your two year old would be open to using a step stool? Might be useful to be able hold their hand as they use the step stool to get to potty or bed. Just a thought. Remember to get the help where you can and try not to overdue things. Wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery.
Those are great ideas

As for the step stool, we have just started using one, but she still needs a lot of help with her clothes. I'm trying to teach her to do that stuff herself, but I'm running out of time. I have found that even just pulling up her panties and pants still requires a lot of bending for me, so we'll see, I guess.

I see your surgery is tomorrow. I wish you the very best possible outcome with an easy recovery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register