Post Op- Did Your Hubby Surprise You ?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op- Did Your Hubby Surprise You ?! Post Op- Did Your Hubby Surprise You ?!

Unread 04-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Post Op- Did Your Hubby Surprise You ?!

Post op did your DH surprise you with anything he did, you didn't expect ? I read one lady's husband shaved her legs for her, hhmm don't think that would happen at my house and it got me to thinking on this.............

I was surprised when he brought me breakfast right after coming home. And when he poured the juice into quart jars so I could handle not lifting the full gallon, that was sweet............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Re: Post Op- Did Your Hubby Surprise You ?

I wish. But I do think my husband now realizes what I do around the house as well as work. Unfortunately my husband suffers from depression and hasn't always been helpful or supportive. Actually a few things that have been said and done are unforgivable and I will never forget. I envy the ladies that have so much support. My mum hasn't even bothered to come see me and I feel like I'm just a massive pain to my husband and at times I think my kids are frustrated with me not being able to do much. The weather is changing here in Aus so I'm wearing leggings (it's hard work bending down shaving the legs).. Hope you all have a nice supportive network of people. I have certainly learnt that I don't have too many friends!!
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:34 PM

So sorry to hear that, I know we often wished at least our female relatives would offer some help. It would have been appreciated, but I think people think because we just stay 1 night, it's like a day surg. ;(

I'm so sorry about your DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2014, 07:39 PM

Oh well. It could be worse at the end of the day! It just makes us stronger!
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:44 PM

My husband has been a great homemaker. He has been good health wise too but he is a super achiever and really rides me to "do a bit more today than yesterday". That is good but I have to remind him that it's my recovery and I know my body!

He came with me to 1st post op with doc today and insisted on coming in room so he could hear everything. It was kind of funny. I have a vertical incision and in my hypercondriach way kept telling my husband it was going to split open. Of course he tells doc that and they got to have a big chuckle together. Ha ha.

Oh well...he has been great overall. Dishes, laundry, dog duty and even walking me! Thankfully he works from home!!
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:53 PM

I wouldn't let DH shave my legs because I use a razor. However, prior to surgery he shaved my bikini area - all of it - with a trimmer. He does this for me sometimes when I don't want to get a wax.

He has taken care of me so well. Cleans, shops, takes care of DD, cats, laundry - everything.

I can't really say I am surprised because he has always been higher energy than me and is pickier about the house. But I do see him in a new light and have never been more appreciative. When he went back to work after 11 days I cried and cried LOL. I owe him a lot.

I mean, after 11 years, I have done plenty for him too...but still. I am very Very grateful.
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:56 PM

My husband has been completely awesome. I was hospitalized quickly after being release due to losing a few cuff stitches. I ended up two more nights in hospital and two blood transfusions. That first week I was so weak and so drained. He showered me in the hospital, helped change yucky pads and underwear/pants (I couldn't bend over with my internal repairs my doc did that first wk), was an awesome house husband, great with the kids....I knew he would be helpful. But not as amazing as he was. Tomorrow is wk 11 and I'm still not "allowed" (according to hubby) to vacuum, carry laundry, and lift anything heavy. Even the other day he snuck into the laundry room to switch loads. He knows bending over can sometimes be tender. I'm very lucky. And he is so happy to have his wife back and starting to feel awesome. My prolapse happened a year ago this month. It's been rough....also with having a 4 and 6 year old. But now life is great : )
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM

I too am very lucky but do realize that many many women go through this alone and it saddens me.
Please take care of yourself Kerrie16 both physically and emotionally..You need to take the time to heal properly. The chores and housework can wait. Your right, it's times like these when we realize who our true friends are. I agree with Georgiarose, just because we are only allowed an overnight stay, this surgery is dismissed by many as "day surgery"..sending prayers and hugs your way... Take care....
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Well said Bmo. It is difficult for friends and family to understand just how major this surgery is. The only people who have truly appreciated the ordeal are the women who have had this procedure.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM

My husband showed up the next morning at the hospital with roses! When we got home, he seemed more organized with what I needed the I did! He was just awesome through it all . In fact he still does a lot of the stuff around the house for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register