If I can make it you can, Don't give up! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If I can make it you can, Don't give up! If I can make it you can, Don't give up!

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:05 AM
If I can make it you can, Don't give up!

I've found the and you can too.

Okay here's my story: I'm 51. In '94 I started Perimenopause and had all the classic symptoms but mainly depression/anxiety, fatigue etc. At the time no Dr knew much about Perimenopause so I was more or less told it's all in your head and sent to a Psychiatrist. She is a blessing. I started on Paxil and have been on it ever since. It was a lifesaver for me but didn't take away all of the depression/anxiety. I knew all along it was hormone related but no one would listen. So I quit my GYN of 17 yrs and forged on and it was from GYN to GYN. The estrogen would take some of the dep/anx away but not all. I just knew it just wasn't the right dose, kind etc.

In 2000 I found and excellent GYN who kind of got me straightened out but not all the way. DD found ovarian cysts, adhessions, endo, fibroids and a prolapsed bladder. So he recommended the LAVH/BSO. I was not hesitent in the least cause my mother had had ovarian cancer in '60. Her DD had left 1 ovary and in '93 she died of ovarian cancer. So when my DD recommended LAVH/BSO I said yes, yes, yes. I also thought OK no more fluctations, tinkering with HRT and the depression/anx would be gone. Not so.

I did good for about 1 month after surgery and then the bottom fell out. It was from one estrogen to the other. I've tried estrace, cenestin, Bi-est, Tri-est, Testosterone & Prog Gel, Vivelle, Climara, more or less you name it I've tried it. I wanted to stay with "natural" hrt but they just did not work. I consulted a Pharmacist and both him and the Dr's were just puzzeled with me. So I kept taking my good ole Paxil and by now I've gained 25 lbs, so here comes the HBP, Osteopenia etc. I have to admit, which I'm sure many of you ladies will also, I did tinker with my meds cause I knew I wasn't right.

I talked to nurse friends, I bill for mental health, so I talked to my clients, Ph.D's just anyone I could trying to find the right Dr.

Well over the years, in our local paper there was always one female GYN who taught Menopause classes at our local Hosp and Women's Wellness Center. I would read about it and just I guess file it away. So in Feb '02 I decided I had to do something So I called her office. I was so impressed. The receptionist answering the phone was so knowledgeable, I was sent a packet of info about the office, the Dr, their Philosphy, etc. etc. When I actually met my DD ( a God send ) I liked her immediately, she spent over an hr talking to me, was very straight forward, listened to me and said "Audrey, we need to separate out the HRT from the Psychiatrist. Keep seeing her and let me take care of your HRT and once we get you "balanced" we'll work on the Paxil. You see I've always wanted to be able to lower my dose or get off the Paxil. It's a thing with me I guess.

She was so funny, she said for you to be my patient you have to agree and commit to 1 full month --- with NO tinkering ----. I liked her so much I said yes and have and did what she said.

I started on Estratest FS on March 8th. What a difference - it's night and day for me. The 1st 5-7 days were symptoms of lacking estrogen. After that WOW, the : are out and it's I haven't felt this good since way before 1994 Perimenopause. I've determined that it's similar to when you start on Antidepressents, they take 4 days to notice but a good month to feel the effect. My system is very sensitive and I noticed in 1 week.

So I'm in my garden, planting, painting, going places, bowling, socializing and all without any depression/anxiety. It used to be just their in the back of my mind; but, now it's no where to be found.

I've had some early morning flashes and wake up between 3 & 4 am with some flashes so yesterday at my 1 month check-up we decided to add a low dose supplement estrogen that I take at night and keep taking the Estratest FS in the AM.

Even with the Estratest my libedo and the big "O" haden't been there even with trying to masterbate, yes ladies I tried it. So my DD recommended VIACREAM. She truly believes in it and said it works really well with ladies who've had a hysterectomy. So I'm planning to try it this weekend.

So the moral to this story is I'm getting out of this JUNGLE and you can too. Just hang in here and keep trying and don't give up. Do your homework and research. Stick to your guns, be direct and just keep trying and you too can find the right DD. I just know it.

I love each and everyone one of you. I have a friend JKAY who I met on this site and she has been wonderful and like she said, we all have so much in common and we need each other to help.

to all in your struggle to find the right estrogen and balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:55 AM

Audrey,
Thank you for sharing your story. It is so very helpful to know that there is in this place we call the

Do check in and keep us posted on how you're doing.
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Yippee--ki--yea

Dear audry, i know what a struggle you have been thru---very very lost in the vines of the jungle... And now you sound so positive and hopeful in your future. Its been a long battle but by golly if your not winning the war!! Glad for you and hubby--who has held your hand thru all of this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 07:21 AM

Thanks to all for your support, guidance and help. It's truly been a struggle but I've found the .

Oh by the way, DH and I tried the Viacream. If you've lost the big "O", you can find it again. My DD was right, it helps with lubrication, desire, climax and stimulation.

This is going to be a beautiful spring and I'm ready to get into the dirt, my garden and flowers.

to all. Please email me anytime.
[email protected]
Unread 04-06-2002, 06:23 PM

I'm so happy for you Audry, it wonderful to hear when someone finds there way out of the jungle. I also have gone from one hrt to another, never feeling well enough to quit tinkering, so I was wondering if you quit your progerterone and if you are able to sleep with out it? Lou
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:40 PM

Woo Hoo So glad you are doing so well. It's great to hear when a actually gets to leave the jungle. Here's to continued success
Unread 04-06-2002, 08:33 PM

BrendaLee and Kim - thank you for your support along this long treck through the thick vines. You are both very valuable to this site and offer such a great service to many women here.

Lou, I'm not using Progesterone right now. I only wanted to do one thing at a time and for right now I'm sticking with the Estratest because it's working good. What I've found that has helped me besides the right estrogen is magnesium. I take a supplement that has calcium, magnesium and zinc 3 x a day. It has helped to calm me, stop the heart palpations and at night it seems to make me sleepy. If you're not taking the supplments that Trish recommends you might want to consider them.

Thanks again to all.
Unread 04-07-2002, 06:19 AM

Hi Audrey!

Thanks so much for sharing your story.

One quick questions before you leave the jungle ....

Do you take any other vitamins/supplements (eg. multivitamin/extra calcium?) besides the calcium, magnesium, zinc supplement?

Thanks again.
Unread 04-07-2002, 07:31 AM

Audrey,

I am so happy for you!! I have been following your posts in the hormone jungle for some time. Your doctor sounds great. You sound so wonderful. Enjoy this beautiful spring and the rest of your life!
Unread 04-07-2002, 09:05 AM

Jmr,
You will find a good article about the necessary supplements post hyst here www.hormonejungle.com/supp.php

It is my understanding that estrogen depletes certain nutrients in our bodies so we really need to replace those nutrients.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register