Bladder Problems after TAH, and Bladder Repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Problems after TAH, and Bladder Repair Bladder Problems after TAH, and Bladder Repair

Unread 04-11-2002, 05:32 AM
Bladder Problems after TAH, and Bladder Repair

Hi, I had to see a urologist yesterday due to an increase in incontinence since my surgery. I had a Marshall Marchetti (Bladder Reapair) done along with my hyster. Ever since Surgery I am leaking urine when I cough, sneeze, blow my nose, laugh, even stretching will cause it. I was not this bad before surgery. Anyway the urologist did a uroscope, and says the incontinence is caused from the surgery itself, changing my bladder anatomy, and it cannot be undone. I have the option of having major surgery again, (to put a sling in), or get collagen injections put into my urethra. These injections are not foolproof, and only last approx. 2 yrs., and then are reasorbed by the body, and it has to be done again. I am freaking out at this point, and don't know what to do. Just hoping someone out there may have been through this, or has heard of this, and can offer some advice. Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 02:45 PM

{{Melgarcha}},
I dont have any experience with bladder repair but I do know there are several women here who have had similiar procedures done. Hopefully they will come along shortly and be able to share their experience. Good Luck with your decision and please let us know how your doing....
Unread 04-11-2002, 03:25 PM

Thank you. I hope I hear from others who have been through this. I need some help. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 03:45 AM

Melgarcha,

I am so sorry to hear that you are having these troubles. I didn't have any bladder surgery at the time of my hysterectomy, but I did end up with incontinence afterwards. I know how horrible that is to live with. My problem was the dropped bladder neck that was causing my incontinence. I ended up having a procedure called TVT - Tension-Free Vaginal Tape to pull the bladder neck back up to it's correct position. It was a fairly simple procedure, it is done vaginally and done as an outpatient and the recovery period was only about 2 weeks. I don't know if this would help you or not, but it could be something worth looking into. I am extremely happy that I had it done, as I have NO problems with incontinence at all anymore.

You can read more about the procedure by clicking here
Unread 04-12-2002, 04:58 AM
bladder surgery

Hi Melgarcha
I have had bladder problems and can answer some of your questions. I have had more constant leakage rather than the type that "gushes" when you sneeze, etc. although I also had that occasionally.
About 5 years ago I had the collagen injection procedure. It didn't work at all. My Dr said he could do it again, but there were no guarantees. I said no thanks - I would just live with it.
A couple of years ago leakage started to get a little worse, and the leakage got pretty annoying about a year ago. I was just about to go to the urologist to discuss this when -----my uterus prolapsed! So there was surely a connection!
My Gyn told me that both (and also a mild prolapsed rectum) could be fixed with surgery. So the Gyn did the vaginal hyst and rectal repairs, and the urologist did the TVT repair on my bladder. He said that the main problem with my bladder was the neck was tilted, and of course with the prolapses and everything pushing that was making it worse.
My surgery was 5+ months ago. I still am having some slight leakage, but it is getting better and I feel that now I can call the surgery a success. The Dr said that some people have their leakage stop almost immediately after surgery and others take up to 6+ months - and knowing my silly history with medical stuff I knew I would probably be the 6 months kind!
Now the leakage occurs mostly at two times - when I wake up in the middle of the night (yes I still do that once or twice - down from 4 or 5 times though) and I REALLY have to go - I must have leaked, as I am "moist". And I am still having trouble completely emptying my bladder sometimes and if I don't get it empty enough, then I leak a little shortly after urinating. Other than that I do not have the constant leakage that I had. And the other times of leakage are getting better all the time, so I feel that within a few months I will have NO MORE LEAKING!
Sorry for the sort of "graphic" details, but it is hard to discuss this subject without them.
I can't answer to the recovery period for just the TVT as I had it with the hyst, but my urologist said if he was doing just the TVT it was outpatient surgery and fairly easy recovery - mostly lifting type restrictions and not too much post op pain.
I personally would go straight for the TVT as - according to my urologist - the "success rate" for TVT is much higher and the collagen is now "old technology" since they mostly do the TVT now.
Please feel free to email me [email protected] if you have any more specific questions.
I will be going out of town around noon today for the weekend so if I don't answer you right away it is because I am not here!
Hope this helped
Unread 04-12-2002, 10:12 AM

Thanks to both of you for the info on the TVT. I will definately talk to my Dr. about this. This sounds much better than the sling procedure, or the collagen injections, but wasn't mentioned to me by my urologist or gynecologist. Maybe it won't work for my problem, but I wil certainly ask about it. Thanks again. I am planning on seeing another urologist for a second opinion, since my OBGYN, and urologist seem to disagree on what exactly has caused this problem. I figured the best thing might be to see another Dr. and see what he thinks.
Unread 04-13-2002, 07:41 PM

What are the collagen injections for? Never heard of them in the urethra....

is it for burning, incontinence, or urgency? bj
Unread 04-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Hi. I go to my dr. tomorrow to discuss surgery

I can totally relate to what you are going through. I had a TAV/LSO in feb. 2001. I had some of the incontinenece problems then, but my dr. told me the hyster might be all that was needed and that the bladder might "fall into place" after. Well, no such luck. I can't sneeze, laugh, cough, run, jump etc.. without having a "wee" accident. So, here's my problem: Do I go ahead with the surgery to lift the old droopy bladder or just continue to put up with this daily problem ? It would be an easy decision if this caused pain. My urologist said it would be about the same hospital stay and recovery period as my hyster was. I need to make a decision soon. I am a teacher and would like to plan my summer vacation around the pending surgery, if I go through with it. I'ts becoming a more difficult decision as the days go by.

I wish I could help you. I'm here to listen and hold your cyber hand.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register