Granulation Tissue Surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Granulation Tissue Surgery?? Granulation Tissue Surgery??

Unread 04-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Granulation Tissue Surgery??

Hello!! I had a LAVH on 9/17 and started bleeding in Oct., which finally stopped in November - but it started up again in January and February of this year. I have dull cramping in my lower abdomen 99% of the time - sometimes more painful than others. I still have some light bleeding from time to time - but not as bad as it was in Feb (bright red, lots of it).

My doc is frustrated b/c he has never had a patient who had granulation tissue this long. He is taking me back to the OR next Friday (4/19) to cauterize it more "aggressively". Has anyone had this done???? Now that I am not bleeding as much (mostly light pink stuff after sex) - though I am pretty uncomfortable due to the cramping - I wonder if this is going to help????

BTW, he did an ultrasound and there was nothing unusual. Upon a pelvic exam, he just sighed and said "it's granulation tissue".

Sigh. Any thoughts???

Thanks ever so much!!!
mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 02:50 PM

{{Mouse}},
I can imagine how frustrating this is for you and your Dr I havent experienced Granulation but did want send some s and well wishes for your upcoming surgery. Please let us know how it goes....
Unread 04-12-2002, 02:52 AM

Hello,
I also had granulation tissue that had to be removed surgically. There was too much of it, it was constantly bleeding & oozing a nasty discharge (sorry!) and my doc was unsuccessful treating it in his office. I'm happy to report that all went well and I no longer have a discharge! Good luck with your surgery!
MB5
TAH 8-16-00
Vaginal cuff repair & adhesion removl 8-29-01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 06:36 PM

I copied this reply of mine from another thread. Thought you might like to hear from someone in a similiar situation. I know I do!

I saw my regular Gyn again today. An update first. Since the last time I saw my surgeon, (who I have an another appointment with next week) was about one month ago. He used the second nitrate treatment for granulation tissue. He removed the tissue in two places. Both places were where he felt stitches were still there. So he removed the granulation tissue in both places. He saw one stitch and removed that. The other spot he could remove the tissue but could not reach the stitch and felt another procedure might be in order.

At my Gyn today, where he had removed the stitch, it had completely healed- the other side still had more granulation tissue. Man, does that stuff regenerate and grow quickly. That's why I now am making appointment as soon as I see the discharge.

I knew it was granulation tissue again, because of the Yellow discharge. Get it checked ASAP, because it doesn't appear to go away.

I called my surgeon today (I wanted him to remove the stitch/tissue, since he did my original surgery---ahhh 4/09/01!! ) I am suggesting he not just remove the granulation tissue my Gyn still sees, but the stitch.

I will let you know what my surgeon says.

It's odd, I can almost feel it internally---not a hurt, but a sensation.

One year later though I can say, I am disgusted with this, but feel fortunate to have not had any serious complications.
This is just annoying and we all get sic of DOCS.

Update:Still playing telephone tag with my doctor. Of course it is not really his fault, that I left my cell phone in the trunk of my car when he called...brain fog!

PS Maybe you have a stitch left in as well???
Unread 04-29-2002, 05:32 AM

could you tell me what granulation is and what it feels like?
Unread 04-29-2002, 07:07 AM
Cynthia

Hello. I actually had wanted to answer this earlier when it was asked, but I didn't have a chance to look up the official, definition. So I am just giving you my description/understanding. Granulation tissue-in this case is actually scar tissue. It apparently indicates that you are healing...the problem is that if you heal quickly, and form granulation tissue then the area does not have an opportunity to heal/form smooth healthy new tissue. So, the tissue around my stitches healed quickly, but the stitch was a constant irritant and granulation tissue formed.

How I knew was that I had a constant (not heavy) yellowish discharge, and one side where the granulation tissue had formed in the place where a stitch had not disolved or fallen out, was causing me to stain a very light pink (blood).

The first time I waited longer than necessary (2 months).Then after I was told I had granulation tissue I had it removed when the discharge showed up again immediately (about 3 weeks after a silver nitrate treatment).

In my case, it was the stitch that was causing the granulation tissue to form, and it is my hope that after removal of both stitches, I will heal properly and stop forming granulation tissue.

So far it has been a week and half since my procedure and things look good. I will not believe it till it's been a month and I have had sex. I was instructed to wait about 2 weeks for intercourse, so we will see.

I hope this helps. It's just my description. I suggest if you even suspect granulation tissue, get it checked out. From following this topic on HS message boards for the last 4 months, I can say 99% of the women that questioned granulation tissue did have some and were treated.

JOY
Unread 05-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Granulation removal

Hi, everyone.
I had an appt with my gyn today. Hadn't seen her since September at my 8 weeks check up after TAH/BSO. She said there was some granulation (at vaginal cuff) and she was going to remove it. That, yes, it could possibly cause discomfort during intercourse.
She said I would feel some "cramping and discomfort." What an understatement! Man, did it hurt! I felt myself fading almost to fainting. Felt sick to my stomach and sweated so much I had to mop myself up before getting dressed again. I layed there quite awhile before slowly getting up, etc. I took 3 ibuprofen and a nap when I got home. 5 hrs later I've taken 3 more ibuprofen.
No discharge though - before or after - like I have read in other messages.
Anyone else have a problem with granulation with no symptoms of it?
Thanks,
Nancy
Unread 05-09-2002, 07:39 AM
Granulation Tissue-NaninAz

Oh-Nan, I just typed you name...Got It. Nan in Arizonia. How clever. Anyway, down to my not so favorite topic. Granulation tissue. I am pleased (and a little scared to say...don't want to jink myself), that after two weeks, I had the last stitch removed and have had not discharge since. (I have had this since about 8/01). My hyst was 4/01. Initially when I went in for my 8 week check. I was fine...no granulation, then almost right after that had discharge and pink staining with sex. I think I had granulation tissue develop shorly after that 2 month check up appointment. I waited a bit to go to the doctor and had granulation tissue removed, however, after waiting probably to long -I would schedule an appointment immediately if I had discharge. The doctor discovered the stitches were keeping me from healing properly and causing the granulation tissue. Hopefully, by removing each one the problem--in my case--is solved.

JOy
PS The removal of the stitches was uncomfortable, but I think I was so relieved not to have to go in for day surgery, I was willing to put up with anything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register