LIW Smoker - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-12-2002, 01:25 PM
LIW Smoker

twinsister,
I am having a LAVH?BSO, so I am planning on only being there for no more than 2 days if all goes well...I am hoping I don't get that urge either!! I have tried to quit in the past, but the only time I successfully did that was when I was pregnant...quit the whole 9 months then lit up on the way home...I ask myself WHY every day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Using the Patch

Hi Ladies,
I am a former smoker and smoked for 32 years . I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on 4/22. Like everyone else, I have done alot of reading and was especially concerned about what I read about smoking. I guess the anesthesia puts our lungs at further risk, and some have lung collapse ager the surgery. So- I decided to quit and did on 3/16/02!!! I am still on the patch-have very very RARE urges that last only seconds, and do not plan to rush the patch at all. This weekend I will go to step 2. The patch is in 3 steps. 21mg. 15mg and 7mg. The mfrs tell you to take your time. The first stage, take 2-6 weeks. I am now at 4 weeks and will try to reduce tomorrow. I would hope that any of you who may be pre-op, would PLEASE give it a try. I am planning to pack some patches in my overnight bag just in case for the hosp stay. I still do not know how long I am staying- no one has told me yet!!
I wish ALL of you the VERY VERY Best with your surgery.
No More-:smokin: For Me!
Unread 04-12-2002, 03:42 PM
My smoking experience......ughhhhh

I too smoke and when I had my laprosocpy on the 18th of March as soon as I was out of the hospital I lit one up then BARFED....I guess the meds....don't go to well w/ the cigs !!!
When I got home for about 3 days....I didn't crave one at all !!!!!
I have had good results with the gum but I wasn't having any surgery I was using it to quit....but you may want to ask because it does cause heartburn and the patch I have heard makes you queezy.... it's one of those everbody is different kinda things....be sure and ask you Dr. before you spend money on the gum or patch.....
My surgery is Monday !!!!! I'm :smokin: like a freight train !!!!
Best of luck to you !
ss
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 03:46 PM
LIW Smoker

hi- i'm a smoker too- had my surgery on 3/18- was a wreck about not being able to - i brought the nicotine gum with me and it worked just great along with the pain killers i was a happy camper- i was unable to go outside because i ran a fever after the surgery but the gumwas ok - i had tried the patch in the past and didn't like it- when i got home i started to smoke again -just not ready to quit- hang in there- i had adenomyosis too- and even though i'm still healing i feel so much better!
Unread 04-12-2002, 05:06 PM
LIW Smoker

HI- my name is lynne- i am a smoker.....just kidding- Trying to act like we are all confessing or something-

I also smoke and have thought about this hospital stay and NO cig.....I guess i have been hoping they would keep me so drugged I wouldn't know the difference....lol

runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Smoke Free

I too was a smoker. I had lap in February and told myself that is when I would quit. I had a few after the surgery, but have become smoke-free. The urges were almost unbearable, but I made it. You have to WANT to quit.

Good luck to all of you, love and light.
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:12 PM
LIW Smoker

I have a question?

I too am a smoker had planned on quitting when I have my surgery done. But my concern is this: If they take out my ovaries and that puts me into instant menopause how do I know if it is my hormones im having problems with or is it from quitting, how will i know what is normal?

Or do I have to face the facts and realize that i will just become a lunatic!!!!! lol

Laura
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:52 PM
brandenfla

I quit smoking for approx 7 months and stupid me started back- My DH and I both quit at the same time thinking that was the only way to do it with the help of medication. It wasn't very hard quitting..the hard part was STAYING quit. I craved a cig. almost every day. Some days was worse than others. The hardest was during stressful times. I seen that aot of the problem was just the habit of having it in my hand. It was weird driving and after meals mostly. We did have days that we were on edge. My poor DS had to deal with two quitting at the same time...lol

I hope he and I put our minds to it and stop for good again one day...but we have to WANT to...my problem is I enjoy it.

Yea I also think if I told DH I was going to stop with him knowing I maybe having ovaries removed (along with hormone prob) HE WOULD probably leave...lol

runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-13-2002, 03:35 AM
Patches

I am also a smoker. I have given myself a quitting day..Sunday 28th April.That gives me (hopefully) 2 weeks smoke free prior to total hyster on 13th May :smokin:

I had a lap in Nov 01 to have a wedge rescection on my ovaries for PCOS. It wasnt until I was wheeled into theatre and had my pre op meds that I remembered i had a nicotine patch on.
I hope that I can give up on my chosen day...I may call on the sisters for nicotine support

Goodluck to all
Trina
Unread 04-13-2002, 04:48 AM
LIW Smoker

I've been a smoker for over 30 yrs...a pack a day. My doc offered me the patch during one of the pre-surg consults. I told him that I planned to quit while in the hospital...I figured I'd be on pain meds and "out of it" during my hospital stay that I wouldn't want to smoke. He wished me good luck and told me if I changed my mind in the hospital to let him know.

Well it's been 24 days for me.. smoke free!
It wasn't a big deal.. not smoking while in the hospital..as I was more interested in sleep and pain control. The real deal was when I got home.

Even though I am quite proud of my feat...I wouldn't suggest it as a good time to stop smoking.

Nicotine withdrawal...despite using the gum...was rough on my body...(like the surgery wasn't tough enough)!

Constipation..dizziness...moodiness...insomnia and gas galore!..all symptoms of post-op and nicotine withdrawal...both at the same time...were accentuated. I couldn't tell what was causing what!

I feel I'm just beginning to return to normal after 3 weeks. I was soooo tempted to go back to smoking..(and still have dreams about lighting up) but I felt like I had come this far that there's no turning back.

If I had to do it all over again...I would have picked another quit date.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register