Help Found | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > B.E.S.T.-(Better Eaters Support Team)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Smile - Help Found Help Found

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I've been trying for 5 years to find the motivation to stop eating - bags of candy, huge meals, etc. And with menopause right around the corner (dodged that bullet on 3/1 and kept my ovaries), I've got to actually do something now. Well, I found an answer for now - at least a start.

Found a book that is PERFECT for our situation - sitting around unable to run or spin, thinking about our tummy all day. I read this thing a couple of years ago and must have read it too fast, because what I got out of it then was eat whatever you want and your body will adjust!! Right -- right into a size 24X!

Well, I just read it again, a little slower. The message is loud and clear; how did I miss it before. The answer is that we need to feel how our tummy feels when we are ready to feed it, when we do feed it, and when we overfeed it. Tummy will tell you when it has had enough (before you get stuffed) if you are paying attention. And it gives you all kinds of thoughts on what happens when you overfeed it. My tummy is so sensitive right now with swelly belly and those occasional "stitches melting" zingers, that it is the perfect time to tune into tummy and learn how to identify what it can tell me.

WOW! The Seven Secrets of SLIM People by Hansen and Goodman is about 200 pages of bullets, one-liners, and food exercises to learn how to identify the difference between I'm hungry and I want a bag of gummy bears because I'm lonely. And if the gummy bears is the answer for this moment, eat them. If the 'how-to-eat' concept and the food exercises don't get to you, some of the one-liners are priceless.

I've been fighting food my whole life; even cried while eating a giant Snickers bar because I couldn't stop. I've done Richard Simmons, WW (at least 5 times), Diet Work Shop, Adkins, and low carhobydrate diets for many years only to find myself 30 pounds too heavy. Maybe the dozens of ideas in this book won't work for me as a permanent life style, but what if it does? What if just writing this post is enough of a motivator to keep doing the food exercises until I'VE GOT IT? Wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Thumbs up - Help Found Help Found

Linda, this sounds like a terrific idea and might just be the thing that will set you off in the right direction.

Go for it, girl!!! We're a 100% behind you, you on!!!
Unread 04-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Help Found

Thanks for sharing that book tip!! I am going to start searching for it right now. My philosophy is: even if I only gain one helpful insight that helps me look at food differently, it is well worth it!

My best friend was doing a program that I never tried simply because one of the corner-stones of the program was the idea that you should only eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you felt full. I found myself sobbing uncontrollaby trying to explain to my friend that I had always felt hungry my whole life. It just seemed like food never satisfied me. I very rarely felt stuffed and that feeling would pass quickly leaving me feeling even more famished.

I started a weight-loss program Feb. 15th, and for the 1st time in my life feel satisfied when I am done eating! A big break-through for me personally. I'm excited about the book you suggested. It sounds like it will provide me w/ some helpful clues to understanding what hunger feels like and generally how to listen to my body better.

Thanks for sharing LadyBB! We are all here pulling for you!!

Isabelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 06:20 AM
Help Found

Linda~~ Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!!!!

Best of Luck, it sounds like a really great "tool" to have!!!!!

Take Care, Dawn

TAH/BSO 6-29-01

203/187/135 ~~ 16 lbs gone forever ~~
Unread 04-13-2002, 09:36 AM
Wink - Help Found Thanks for the Encouragement

Dany and Dawn, thanks for the encouragement. I need all of it I can get.

Isabelle, I can identify with everything you said, and that's why I didn't GET this book the first time around. In fact, I'm surprised that I didnt burn it as trash written by one of those mutant types who eat boxes of donuts to keep from losing weight. From the day I was born every waking moment has included biting my fingernails until I discovered cigarettes. Smoking like a chimney until I quit. Then substituting something to eat for every missed cigarette. The only time I wasn't eating, I was exercising in some manner trying to lose the weight. Talk about a rat on a wheel!

But, right now due to a 7" cut across my belly, my thinking processes are a little different. I discovered the first few weeks after coming home from the castle that I was uncomfortable often from eating too much and/or gas. While reading this book, it occurred to me that I was doing that TO MYSELF! How sick is that? I've become a masochist. Right now my tummy is in an uproar, so I'm going back to the book to reread the chapter on when you ate right and still don't feel good, how do you figure out what went wrong.

Good luck. Keep in touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register