2 week post op pain - pain meds don't work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 week post op pain - pain meds don't work 2 week post op pain - pain meds don't work

Unread 04-13-2002, 04:15 AM
2 week post op pain - HELP!

To anyone who might be awake :alarm:,

It's been 2 weeks since my TAH/BSO for Stage Ia cancer of the uterus. So far, since coming home from the hospital on 3/31, I have been on Vicodin (made me VERY nauseous), Percocet (worked well but the doctor did not want to write another prescription for it), and now Fioricet. I had been taking 1 Fioricet every 4 hours, but it just wasn't working. Late last night, we called my OB/GYN and he said to double the dose. That worked for last night and today. Then I fell asleep tonight and went 6 hrs. between doses. 2 hrs. ago I took 2 more Fioricet but I am in a LOT of pain.

I spoke to my OB/GYN today and told him the 2 pills every 4 hrs. seemed to be working. I have a follow-up appt. with him on Monday morning. He said that, since the 2 pills every 4 hrs. was relieving my pain, he didn't think he needed to see me today, but said to call if anything changed.

Now I am in pain and can't sleep. Do you think I should wait another 2 hrs. until I can take 2 more Fioricet or call the doc? :confuse:

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 04:39 AM
2 week post op pain - pain meds don't work

Hi Mary Berry

Just to give you my

If you are still in pain after increasing the dose to 2 pills every 4 hrs, if it were me, I would call the DR again...unless you think you can manage until Monday...being in constant pain is NOT FUN! If the percocet was working for you I would push him to give you another perscription! What was his reason for not wanting to? {aren't I a nosey cow!)
Unread 04-13-2002, 04:48 AM

Hi Kathy,

You are NOT a nosey cow! (Although it did give me chuckle.) The doc said that "most women are not in as much pain 2 weeks post op ... if I'm on such heavy narcotic pain med, then something might be wrong." Don't get me wrong; he's a good doc. I just am sitting on this see-saw wondering if I should wake him up at 3:50 a.m. (at least that's what it is where I am!) or wait another 1.5 hrs. to try another 2 pills.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 05:17 AM

Me again

You must be in the USA...the way our system is, we don't have the DR's phone number to call him at home...in a situation like yours they would expect us to go to the ER...Anyhow, if you can stand the pain for another couple of hours...call him then...if not, call him now! Best to make sure that there is nothing wrong! BUT, if after seeing him, there is nothing wrong and you are still in pain, I would still push for the percocet! Each person has different pain levels and different pain tolerence...Yes, percoset is a narcotic and yes, people can become dependant, But not after only 2-3 weeks! My humble opinion! Yeah, I think I am a" Gobby", opinionated cow! ("gobby" is a British term for "talks too much" and "cow" just means "a woman" ... not meant to be nasty! Well, that depends how you say it!) My DH is British...hence, I've picked up some terminology! Not the way most people talk around here! SEE...I am gobby! Rambling on and on! Let me know what you decide...I am enjoying this little chit chat! Darn chickens aren't even up at this time!!
Unread 04-13-2002, 06:47 AM

Hi Kathy,

Well, I just took 2 more Fioricet. If the pain is not substantially better in the a.m., I will definitely call the dr.

Thanks for cheering me up in the middle of the night!

Mary Berry
Unread 04-14-2002, 08:43 PM

Did your doc discuss taking ibuprofen along with your pain prescription??? Many of us were put on it immediately in the hospital to help reduce the inflammation of our various repairs. You might ask him about it. I had 6 different procedures done and have incisions inside and out but was off pain prescriptions by 12 days, however continued taking the ibuprofen longer. (still take it some). I am now 5 weeks post op and still self cathing but otherwise fatigue is my worst complaint. I feel good and am working from home a little bit.

By the way--you and I are almost twins!!! My name is Merry Perry--do you love it? Give me a private buzz if you feel like it.

3/11/02-Laparoscopy, TVH, BSO, MMK, cystourethrocele/rectocele repairs for dysplasia, fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, prolapsed everything
Unread 04-14-2002, 09:18 PM

Thanks, Mikie, for your response. No, my doc didn't discuss taking ibuprofen or, if he did, I was in a narcotics-induced fog. I ended up spending 8 hours in the ER yesterday. I got a thorough workup, including blood work, urinalysis, and x-ray and ultrasound of the abdomen. The ultrasound showed that my colon was impacted with stool (yuk! but VERY painful!), despite the fact that I had been having regular bowel movements. The doc in the ER said it was from all the narcotics I had been taking. They gave me an enema (double-yuk! but VERY effective!) and told me to take Milk of Magnesia. He also told me to take one Aleve with each meal and I did that today .... seems to have helped. He told me I can still take an occasional Fioricet for "breakthrough pain" which I've also done today (although I only took 2 Fioricet today, compared to the MUCH greater quantity I had been taking.) So, I plan on staying on the Aleve. I am feeling MUCH better today and will see my GYN tomorrow. Thanks again for the smart suggestin!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register