new here , worried ,with questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new here , worried ,with questions new here , worried ,with questions

Unread 04-13-2002, 12:38 PM
new here , worried ,with questions

hello, i'm nervous about telling all, but i have questions that i would rather have answered by women. i had my tvh 9mo. ago. i had invasive cervical cancer. i was diagnosed in may of 2001 and had it done in june. i've only had one pap since, and it came up fine, but i still get scared when it is time to go and have one. my concerns are: my ovaries were left what are the chances that the cancer could start elswhere? also should i be having mamograms? once you have gotten any type of cancer are you more likly to get other kinds? i know i'm being paranoid, i guess i am just a worrier. any or answers would be very welcome.
thanks,
shygirl97128
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 03:46 PM

Hi shygirl,

Having the fears that you have are perfectly normal. I too am a worrier, am paranoid and so scared that my cancer will come back.

But try to remember that in most cases a hysterectomy is all that is needed to remove the cancer cells. Of course once you have had cervical cancer it is most important to keep having regular checkups for the rest of your life.

As for the mammograms ( here in Australia ) women have a yearly mammogram after age 50 and younger if there is a breast cancer family history. Maybe you could check this out with your DR.

I try to think of cancer like this.... mine has been treated and I have just about as much chance as anyone of getting cancer elsewhere. Of course I must be aware of HPV which I have but my checkups will keep that under control. I asked my oncologist the same questions regarding the ovaries and he said unless there was a history of ovarian cancer he would prefer to leave them as it is another op, that I would have to endure. By having regular checks this too will be under control.

Please remember that what you are feeling is so normal. I am told it gets better with time Anytime you need support with these emotions please dont hestitate to post here, we are always here for you. love always xx
Unread 04-13-2002, 03:53 PM

WELCOME.........first off you are neither paranoid nor a worrier. You are experiencing the exact same feelings that all cancer patients feel.
If you read our posts we all experience anxiety, after our diagnosis, even if our prognosis is excellent. I know I do.
Here is what I think........that we, now as cancer "survivors" are so carefully checked and watched that, yes, although we may be at a higher risk for another cancer, we will certainly catch it at an early stage when it is indeed cureable.
I would certainly ask your gyn to set you up for a mammo, to at least set up a baseline.
My ovaries were removed.....so that I would not have to worry about that. My cancer was endo, and I was at a stage 2b.
I was diagnosed in Feb 2001, my surgery was in march 2001. I will be seeing my oncologist next week, and although it has been a year and I am feeling good, you can bet I will be nervous about my exam and my pap. We all get nervous.....don't worry.
But now you have found the best website, and you can always come and express your fears here and expect alot of Hugs, love, prayers and compassion, you will never have to worry alone again, I promise.

Valentina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 06:41 PM

Hi shygirl!

I agree with Robyn and Valentina -- your anxiety is perfectly normal. I had invasive, stage 1b cervical cancer, diagnosed in 10/00 and a radical hysterectomy in 12/00. They left my ovaries, because there is no history of ovarian cancer in my family and it was preferred to try to continue the natural hormone function. For me, that didn't work, and my ovaries are not even apparent on a CT scan anymore, apparently atrophied. I hope that means that ovarian cancer is even less likely that it was before!

As for other types of cancer, all of my docs have said that once I hit the 5-year mark without recurrence, then my odds of getting another type of cancer are the same as for the general population. I had a specific discussion with my hem. oncologist (chemo guy) about breast cancer at the time I started taking estrogen, and he said that having cervical cancer did not increase my risk of breast cancer - it is a nonfactor. I am otherwise low risk, and so decided to do the hormone replacement. However, I WILL certainly have regular mammograms starting at age 40 (next year) or sooner, which would have been the course I would have taken if I had never had cancer.

Keep those clean pap results coming!! Good luck.

Sharon
Unread 04-14-2002, 06:48 PM

thanks slm it means alot to me. i have beentrying to find statistict on the chances of getting other kinds of cancer, but was having no luck. you girls have been s i will just take it one day at a time and keep ing every time it's time for a pap. again thanks for the support:
Unread 04-15-2002, 06:19 PM

Hi,
I had a TVH in November 01 for stage 1A microinvasive cervical cancer. If your cancer was stage 1 they do not typically remove the ovaries. My oncologist told me that there was no risk of ovarian or breast cancer. I am 36. I had my first mammography at 35 and was told that I do not need to go back again until I am 40.

-Denise
Unread 04-17-2002, 12:15 PM
Helloooooooooooooo

I hear you on your fears. I have been a hystersister for a while now. All went well for me, no cancer. My struggle has been thyroid. I had the right side removed in Jan. I just got my path report ( the second one yesterday) and I did have Papillary Microcarcinoma. I was so shocked. They say like a hyst they took it out so they got it all. Still I feel the same way you do. Will I be more likely to get other cancer as my body is weak. Fear is normal!

I know I am not really supposed to be in this forum as it not hyst Cancer. But I knew you ladies would be supportive.

Take care

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:51 PM

Cath, you can be in this forum whenever you want. take care and lots of hugs...fear is normal
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:34 AM
Thanks Robin

I am really trying to learn all I can. I have joined a Thyroid Cancer Support Group. Support groups are great!!!!!!!!!!! What would we do without them!

Take care

Unread 04-18-2002, 09:39 AM

Hi Shygirl,

I had an ovarian cancer scare this year (very small, non-invasive, TAH/BSO took care of it), and will need checkups (CAT scans and blood tests) every 3-4 months for the rest of my life. Today, I made my appointment for my first follow-up (May 10). Since my mom had several cancers before she died, I know I am at risk. What helped me, was a visit with a medical oncologist. While my gyn-onc was very kind and supportive, I didn't think he understood my global cancer feel - he really focused on my belly and why I shouldn't worry about that. So I found a well recomended female medical oncologist who sat down with me and reviewed my entire family history and we came up with a screening plan, and some life-style changes (weight control, exercise, low fat high fiber eating, not too much booze...). I'm not sure I believe all those things are really effective, but they can't hurt and going something positive makes me feel less anxious. I hear from the more "senior" sisters that the anxiety fades over time. I sure hope so, for both of us.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register