vaginal hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal hysterectomy vaginal hysterectomy

Unread 04-17-2002, 10:23 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

I guess because my periods had been so painful for so long, I just assumed a hysterectomy had to be 10x as bad. In comparison, the pain from the hysterectomy hasn't been bad at all.

The first 48 hours I had very mild cramps but didn't amount to much. Then over the first 2 weeks, there wasn't much more than gas pains and the worst of that was probably around the 3rd and 4th days. I thought my knuckles were going to turn white a couple of times but Gax-X did wonders for me. I was drinking plenty of water, but probably didn't walk enough at first. I had more trouble with exhaustion than pain so I wasn't terribly motivated to walk around the block.

Last week and this I have definitely felt a little more tender as the stiches begin to dissolve and as I become a little more active (as my doctor instructed me to at the 2-week checkup), but it's not like I'm doubled over in agony or anything. Ibuprofin usually takes any discomfort away pretty quickly. I wish it had worked as well on my periods the last few years!

Some ladies require more pain medication - it varies by procedure and individuals. My doctor wasn't keen on prescribing anything unless I absolutely needed it, and since the Ibuprofin worked for me, we never had to go there.

As for going home the same day, I think that's slowly becoming more common. Mastectomies are often out-patient now, so it's probably just a matter of time before a TVH is routinely considered out-patient surgery, as well. Do you have someone who can stay with you the first night? You'll probably sleep the whole time, but you still need someone there if only for peace of mind.

I went home the morning after my surgery and took a shower first thing. It wasn't too bad. I don't remember it hurting to reach up and wash my hair which I thought might be a problem. I didn't have a problem drying my legs and feet, but some ladies report that's difficult.

I can't believe you have the energy to prepare 30 frozen meals in advance! I'm VERY impressed.

Margaret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 03:39 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Hi again,
Thank you all for your support and for sharing your tips and experiences. I didn't think it would help so much when I first posted but have found it all so reassuring and comforting.

My Dr. said he would keep me if I want him to but I have such ridiculous co-pays with my insurance I feel like I don't want to stay. I will probably be asleep all day anyway. I have to pay 10% of everything on this plus 100 per day. 10% of hospital facility, surgeon, drugs, etc..... everything. I have no clue what that will be. The sickening part is that I had awesome insurance and the company changed providers on April 1st.!! I have the luck sometimes.
I went for my pre-op blood work today and met the anathesioligist (i'm sure that is spelled wrong). Anyway he seems nice and said using a baby butterfly IV on me should be no problem. He also said he will have me receive 5mg of oral valium as soon as I get in my room. That helps a bit to know he is so flexible for me. He said I was definitely way too stressed over this.
MJM93 - what a trooper. On the internet already. I hope I do nearly as well. Very impressive. Good for you.
I went today and got the gas-x, stool softener, pepto, and lots of munchies!!!! I loaded up on paper supplies and shampoo, soap, etc... enough for 2 months so I will not run out of anything there. I also got a couple more books. Now I have about 15!!!! As you can tell I have absolutely no idea what to expect never having had a surgery of this magnitude before.
I will be hitting you all with more questions I am sure. If you have any other tips, do's or don'ts, please let me know. Until then, thank you to all my new friends and the best to you all. You have all been such a blessing to chat with about this.
Hugs to all,
Nancy
Unread 04-29-2002, 09:18 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Hello to everyone,
I did it!!! I survived and am now on my 5th day of recoup. I had horrible pain the first 2 days but then the doctor got the right medicine to me and it got nothing but better. He gave percoset at first and it made me sick to my stomach. The demerol is much better for me. I never really got too much pain from gas. Just from the surgery itself. I am still tender but able to relax more now and let the healing take it's course.
I had horrible nurses in the hospital. They were too busy out in the hall chatting to get us what we needed. They never answered the call lights so I just started to holler for a nurse when needed, if there was 1 around. I never got morphine, I got 1 shot of demoral in my IV, and had no assistance at all getting up and going to the bathroom. I just drug my IV in with me!! They had removed the catheter as soon as I left recovery. One nurse even removed my IV before she realized my pain meds were ordered given through the IV, soooo I did not get any more before leaving. My surgery was at 730am, I was in a room at 1130am, and released at 430pm. There were so many things that I wish were handled better but am tired for now and going to go lay down. I just wanted to let you all know I was done and healing now.
Also to thank you all for the love and support, it helped more than you will ever know.
Hugs
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 02:50 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Nancy,

I'm sorry the castle visit was so unpleasant and that you had a hard time getting the pain under control. It's a great sign that you feel up to posting now! Here's to an uneventful recovery!!!

Margaret

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register