scared as hell about my hysterectomy on 9/16 - what are expectations both pre-op and post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared as hell about my hysterectomy on 9/16 - what are expectations both pre-op and post-op scared as hell about my hysterectomy on 9/16 - what are expectations both pre-op and post-op

Unread 09-01-2014, 07:01 PM
scared as hell about my hysterectomy on 9/16 - what are expectations both pre-op and post-op

My uterus is the size of a basketball and my surgery is scheduled for September 16th and I am scared.... I'm ready to change my mind about it.... not knowing what to expect preoperative or postoperative can someone please help ease my mind before I make myself crazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Re: scared as hell

You will be fine. It helps to make a list of your concerns and fears, then ask the doctor. I assume that size of uterus it will abdominal hysterectomy so you will have the incision to deal with. Others that have had that type will be along. In the meantime, know you are among others who have gone before you. Will be here to walk with you before and after.

Start thinking of what you want in your 'nest' for after surgery. Make a list of things that need to be done like:
bills paid,
laundry done up (did mine the day before),
foods you want to have on hand to eat (I had fruit and veggies - non gassy producing ones), where you will want to be hanging out afterwards,
have comfy clothes to wear - not tight around the waist or even lounge dresses

others will add to his I am sure
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:29 PM
scared as hell about my hysterectomy on 9/16 - what are expectations both pre-op and post-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochez View Post
My uterus is the size of a basketball and my surgery is scheduled for September 16th and I am scared.... I'm ready to change my mind about it.... not knowing what to expect preoperative or postoperative can someone please help ease my mind before I make myself crazy
I am going through the same thing as you with the same size of uterus. My surgery is september 9th. I am so scared but we can't back out. We know we will feel better after a few months. We can do this and so thankful for this website. Hang in there and let's get thru this together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Both of you please listen to Charlotteel. She makes a lot of sense. You will feel so much better with this out of your body. So spend the time between now and your surgery getting ready to take care of yourself after. Let your Drs, nurses, and hospital worry about the part they do well. You need to make yourself a place to best take care of you after. House clean, foods planned, help planned, etc. then after you can relax and get well to enjoy the new you. Good luck.
Hugs,
Anndy
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochez View Post
Welcome to this wonderful community! This place has so much to offer.... answers to your questions, caring women sharing their experiences and of course loads of support, compassion and encouragement. You will probably feel a lot more at ease after you go to your pre-op appointment closer to your surgery date. I don't know how I would have managed the past 6 1/2 weeks without finding this website, it has provided me with so much.

Unread 09-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Hi smoochez to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I know this is an overwhelming experience. Your fears, nerves, emotions and freakouts are very normal. Having second thoughts is also very normal.

You will probably be having open abdominal surgery - I had that surgery as well, and lost my tubes and ovaries. I had an extremely large complex ovarian cyst and multiple uterine fibroids.

Yes, this is major surgery and recovery can take some time. Recovery is different for everyone, but you should think in terms of weeks, not days. You will need help around the house with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc for a few weeks. You will also need time off work. How long depends on how fast you recovery and your job requirements. Again, though, think weeks and not days. You may want to review the checkpoint videos on our post-op forum. They will give you a good idea of recovery experiences.

You do need to prepare you and your household for your down time. Some ideas are (some are repeats from above):
-meals in the freezer
-loose fitting clothes (I spent 12 weeks in sweat pants and old shorts)
-prepare your recovery corner with blankets and pillows
-get DVDs and light reading
-super clean your house
-get food for easy breakfasts (e.g., oatmeal and yogurt) and lunches (single prepared frozen meals work well)
-non-gassy foods on hand

Here also is an article. Be sure to click on the related articles on the right side of this one: Preparing for Hysterectomy Recovery | What Will I Need?

Above all, know that you are not alone in this and that we are here to help and support you. We will be by your side throughout this process.

Unread 09-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Thank you... yes I do have a lot of questions and going on line looking at the surgery didn't help any....
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Re: scared as hell about my hysterectomy - what are expectations both pre-op and post-op

September 9th wow my sister I will be praying for you and as soon as you are able to please keep me posted
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Re: scared as hell about my hysterectomy - what are expectations both pre-op and post-op

Let's keep in touch and will be praying for you too but we will get through this. I had a lupron shot 3 months ago but the fibroids didn't shrink.
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:12 PM

Hang in there sisters! The waiting and anticipation of the surgery is worse than the reality. I had a TAH four weeks ago. I had a very enlarged uterus and a large fibroid that was pushing up against my bladder, causing me to have urinary retention. Within a month, I had to have a catheter put in twice (one time for two days and the other for four days) to allow my bladder to drain. Not fun! I too was scared & wished that I could back out, but I am so glad that now it is done that not only are my urinary issues solved, but I no longer have to deal with disgustingly heavy periods! While the recovery is long and slow (and goes in baby steps), it is worth it. Just please remember to try and get out of bed and walk a little while in the hospital and when at home to continue to walk around as much as comfortable (but not to forget to let yourself rest and take it easy). It will help you with an easier recovery. And you also have hystersisters as a great resource. I highly recommend joining the forum for the week of your scheduled surgeries. Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register