private room / semi private | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

private room / semi private private room / semi private

Unread 04-18-2002, 02:32 PM
private room / semi private

I have a SMALL problem ... I just talked to my insc and they dont pay for a private room. I have not a problem so much sharing a room with someone but the bathroom is a BIG problem for me. I dont even like public restrooms. To top that my hubby was planning to stay with me one night the after surgery. Not to add if my babies come see me thats 4 kids in that room.

What does it usually cost extra for a private room. ???

Thanks

Tam Kas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Room

Check with the hospital or Dr office as to what floor you will be placed on and what type of rooms they have. I was put on the maternity floor and all the rooms there were private--but only charged for semi-private. This makes it easier for the DR to do their rounds if everyone is on the same floor.

The hospital can tell you what the price difference is and order you a private room if you want one (if they have one available).

Good Luck and
Unread 04-18-2002, 02:43 PM

My insurance didn't pay for a private room either. At my pre-op I asked about getting a private room. I could do it for 25.00 a day. I decided my sanity was worth that much so I said go ahead and book me a private room. I never received the bill so it must have just gotten absorbed into the hospital bill . (I'm not about to ask about it). I don't think you have to wait until your pre-op appointment. Just call the admitting desk at the hospital where you are going and ask them. I enjoyed my private room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2002, 03:03 PM

I had a private room. They told me it would cost an additional $50 - $100. When the insurance processed my surgery they billed me nothing because they said the floor was not full so it made no difference to them if I had a private room or not. Even if I would have had to pay for it I would have. This is a major, private surgery and I wanted the privacy and quiet.
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:12 PM
Forget the cost

Whatever it costs, it's worth it. You're worth it! I can't imagine sharing a room in such private and stressful circumstances.
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:23 PM

I agree with petelope! Insurance didn't pay for mine either and their were none, only the "Suites" at an additional 100/night. I told my DH no matter the cost, we would find a way to pay. This kind of surgery is once in a lifetime and I only wanted to share it with people who loved me. The suite was excellent - bigger than any hotel room I've been in! I never felt crowded even when the entire extended family dropped by for a short hello.
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:50 PM
private room

Hi Tam,

I am going in on Monday the 22nd of April, and I called my doc insurance person, and she told me it was only $25 to $30.00 difference for a private room. My problem is our hospital has been very crowded lately she said and they are even cancelling some non emergency surgeries. But she called over and put it in my chart that I would like a private room. I know what you mean about wanting your own bathroom. I am not used to sharing a room except with my two sisters!!! Best of luck to you.
Roni
Unread 04-19-2002, 07:24 AM

when i was in castle, i had a semi-private room but no roommate. the nurse told me that the hospital policy was to put each person in a room by themselves and then if the other bed was absolutely needed, they would add a roommate. the hospital found that by the time they had to start doubling up, someone would be leaving anyway. the policy was to put similar type patients in the same room so if i did end up with a roommate, it would be someone having same procedure as me. it makes it easier for the nursing staff as they have all the same type patients together. i would check with the hospital policy on this. it may be the same where you are and then you wouldn't have to pay the additional fees for a private room.

good luck to you.
Unread 04-19-2002, 11:32 AM

I am all for the private room and will pay the difference if needed. I was told by Ins company that they would pay for private room if the Dr ordered it. I intend to ask. I am ashamed to admit it but I can't go potty in my own home with DH in the same area so thinking of sharing a bathroom with someone I do not know is scary. I don't go to public restrooms either.
When I had my little one 7 yrs ago, they put me in semi private room. At 2am, I got there at 10pm, another new mom showed up with full extended family and the nurse expected me to get up and go pee with them right by the bathroom, HA. I opted for the catheter since I had to wear one for 2 weeks during pregnancy. By the morning, I was moved to a private room.
Susan
Unread 04-19-2002, 03:04 PM

I did not have a private room and highly recomend that you pay the difference and get one. My neighbor also had a hyst. and her family and friends were constantly calling and coming in and talking and laughing it was almost never ending!!! Ugh! Fortunately those were good drugs they gave me or it would have been impossible to get any sleep. Also when she left I got a new roomy who was quite miserable from kidney surgery, so there was the issue of being careful with the t.v. volume and I had to keep answering the phone for her, because you never knew who the call was for!!..... Just my 2 cents.... Best Wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register