For those with enlarged uterus ???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For those with enlarged uterus ???? For those with enlarged uterus ????

Unread 04-20-2002, 12:32 AM
For those with enlarged uterus ????

I am just wondering? How big was your uterus?
I have an enlarged uterus. I also wonder afterwards do you feel kind of empty ? Like soft there with that being gone? Hope my question makes sense

Tam Kas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 12:37 AM

I definitely have a wonderful squishy empty feeling tummy. My uterus was a 20 week size. I had about thirty fibroids, the largest of which was 14cm (the length of my hand). It feels soooo good being rid of them all. I know a lot of sisters speak of 'swelly belly' and not being able to fit into their regular clothes, I am experiencing the opposite, I am wearing clothes that I haven't worn for ages.

Life is wonderful 4 weeks post op.

Diana
Unread 04-20-2002, 05:43 AM

Hi There!

My DR never told me how large my uterus was, but he did say it was full of fibroids, so it was irregular...I guess that means 'lumpy'(?)

I also had a very large tumor, so my tummy also felt empty (in a good way, though) and void of the pressure of all that yucky stuff I had in there.

As a result of all that being removed, my swelly belly was not too bad, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2002, 06:58 AM
What's goin' on in there??

Greetings: My uterus was heavy, lumpy, and about the size of a small soccer ball, multiple fibroids, largest 5 cm (golf ball sized). I had a vaginal hysterectomy, and the doctor told me she had to section the uterus to remove it, because of the size.

I have had a feeling of fullness afterwards, kind of like being early pregnant! I also had the experience of kind of an "inner quivering" , also reminiscent of being pregnant, kind of like the first feelings of movement. It was kind of weird! I was told it takes some time for the other organs to adjust to the newly empty space, and you get little nerve "jiggles". That is much less now (19 days), but still happens a little when I am tired. I have definitely felt protective of my stomach, like I don't want to bump it or anything. For the first two weeks I was uncomfortable trying to lie on my side, felt like maybe something would shift that shouldn't!! Now I can sleep on my side, but I still like to have some extra pillows and be propped up a little bit, just seems more comfortable.

Tina
TVH & BSO
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:26 AM

Hi! My uterus was the biggest my surgeon had ever seen - it weighed 2 lbs. 11 oz. Before my surgery my back ached terribly all the time, none of my clothes fit me, I couldn't lie on my stomach, and I was generally grumpy and out of sorts all the time from having that big weight in front of me. As soon as I had the surgery, I felt liberated! As I healed I did feel kind of strange and soft-feeling in that area, and I felt very vulnerable, sort of like it was quaking around inside as I walked. It gradually knitted together and felt more solid. Now I'm three months post-op, and a month ago I went back to weight-training and I feel fantastic! Almost all my old clothes fit me now - my swelly belly is slowly going down. I am SO glad I had the surgery!

Best wishes to you!

- Flo
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:27 AM

Hi, I had multiple fibroids and virtually no "normal" uterine tissue left. My uterus weighed a little over 2 lbs. I actually got to see it after my surgery as I wasn't under general anesthesia but opted for the spinal/epidural. It was so HUGE. Seeing the hugeness of it made me wonder how in the heck did I walk around, do exercise, etc with this huge mass in me? This is going to sound very odd, but it looked like a very large butternut squash, with big lumps ( the fibroids) sticking out all over it. Very unusual looking and not at all what I expected.
My family was horrified when I told them I got to see "it". But for me personally, I wanted to take a look at my uterus as it had occupied my mind and body for so many years.
Unread 04-20-2002, 12:10 PM

Hello TAMCAST!

I had my TAH on 2/26 for enlarged uterus, fibroids, endo, cysts but when the Dr. opened me up, all I had was the fibroids, adenomysis, and the enlarged uterus. She said it was the size of a 3 month pregnancy. I do have an "empty" feeling inside and do still have aches and pains. Some soreness especially when standing or walking too long. I do get very tired though. I started back to my full time job at 5 weeks, and at my second job at 7 weeks. I still have a swelly belly but not like it was. I find that at the end of the day, it is somewhat bigger. I can fit into my regular clothing except for my jeans. I began wearing a "control panty" when I went home on 2/29 and it truly helped with the jiggly feeling. I found it supported my tummy and did not feel much discomfort when walking. Without it, my tummy hurt more when moving around. Good luck to you and take care of yourself. Unlike me, BE PATIENT!
Unread 04-20-2002, 02:44 PM

My uterus was big, too-16 week sized. I felt "empty" briefly-but only when someone jiggled the bed at home ! Then I felt all jiggly inside. (and turned to Psycho Hag Mom to boot.)
The feeling did end quickly,than goodness!
I do not feel that I am missing anything either mentally or physically, just more like me again.
(I joked before that I had a cow's big ole uterus...)
Unread 04-20-2002, 03:09 PM

Before surgery I was told my uterus was also 16 week size, but once the DR got in the she found that it was much larger than she expected. It weighed 380 grams (that converts to 13 oz, I was sure it had to weigh 10 pounds!), I don't know the dimensions. I had many, many, many fibroids (before surgery they knew about 3 of them)

My tummy was squishy for a few weeks, but I didn't feel like there was an empty spot where it had been.

One of the benefits I have discovered is I can tie my sneakers with no effort now, it was really in the way!
Unread 04-20-2002, 03:43 PM
My Story

They told me my uterus was a 15 wk size pregancy...I actually took before pictures of me (front and sides). When they opened me up, I was much bigger and the Dr took a polaroid picture of my uterus and gave it to my husband after surgery.

The Dr said my uterus probably weighed about 2 1/2 lbs. (a normal uterus being .6oz). They had predicted (from the ultrasound) that there were 3 large fibroids from .5 to .8cm. My uterus was completely covered with fibroids (no healthy tissue visible). Seeing as I am only 5'2" and 115lbs, he said that my uterus was taking up 75% of my middle. And for years even though my body fat was low, I kept trying to get rid of that "pouch". UGGGH!! I wish I had known sooner, but like a bad girl, I had stopped going for pap smears, so no pelvic exams. So, that was my fault.

I also am taking "after" pictures throughout my recovery. Mostly because when I get whiny about my Swelly Belly I want to have proof that it is indeed getting smaller. So, that's my story.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register