What did you forget to take to the castle that you wish you had? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What did you forget to take to the castle that you wish you had? What did you forget to take to the castle that you wish you had?

Unread 04-21-2002, 10:11 AM
What did you forget to take to the castle that you wish you had?

And what should you have left at home that you took? This is a popular question on cruise boards and I think it is appropriate on this board, too. I am sure there are many of you who took things you thought you would need, and others who took things they never even looked at. Once I am at the castle, I will have to wait until the late afternoons for anything I forgot as my two teens are both in school. I have my hyster on May 1st and want to get the packing right!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 10:54 AM

Hi, Judy

I didn't take much to the hospital, and I still didn't use some of the things I took.

I took large panties and sanitary pads, robe and slippers, lip balm, comb, deodorant, toothbrush and paste, lotion, and reading material. I didn't use the reading material.

I chose to wear the hospital's gowns. They're practical, for a person with a catheter and IV. Also, I didn't want to get my own things messy.

I didn't need entertainment, because I had just had major surgery, I was on drugs, and I couldn't concentrate.

Even though all of my things were easily contained in a small overnite bag, my husband still ended up carrying my stuff out in two loads, because the hospital "gave" me a water pitcher, blue waterproof pads to protect the bed, etc.

It's easy to overpack. I'm usually the Queen of Overpacking, but in my opinion, less is best in the hospital, especially if you have a roommate.

Good luck with your surgery.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-21-2002, 11:17 AM
I brought the ocean!

I have a tendency to over-pack..and so I did just that.

One robe..one nightgown...slippers...a few pair of socks plus toiletries would have sufficed for my 3 night stay. I also "tripled up" on the undies but a "doubling up" supply would have been enough.(I don't know why I have the need to pack "panties by the pound" on trips...but to my horror...my roommate had only packed 1 extra pair)!

But besides all that....

One thing I purchased and brought with me to the castle...which I honestly thought I would use only once or twice...was a cheap CD player with head-phones. I brought a few of my favorite CD's with me....but before my journey, I found a CD with only sounds of the ocean...no music...no seagulls...no fog-horns....just peaceful ocean waves.

I ended up listening to this CD so much of the time...while I was reading or just trying to relax.. to block out the comings and goings on in the castle. I am a light sleeper...and it lulled me to sleep those few night there.

Gosh...between the pain meds and the ocean waves...I felt I was in heaven!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2002, 11:56 AM

I agree less is better. I tried hard to pack lite but still lugged things back and forth that were not used like books and playing cards. I was happy just to veg, sleep and watch TV.
The one thing I needed that I did not have with me was a Calling Card. Couldn't call anyone without it (even local calls.)
Good luck to you.
Unread 04-21-2002, 12:44 PM

My surgery is on Thursday and I have to say I definitely fall into the category of an overpacker :-).

I bought travel sized toiletries, such a toothbrush (with cover), toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, soap, lotion, noxema, wet wipes, kleenex, and the best part is a small bottle of hand disenfectant (no water or rinsing required).

I have also packed slip-on slippers, socks, underwear, robe that buttons (so that the tie won't slip off or pull in on my incision site), sanitary pads, reading material, and a small "booklight", walkman and headphones, coins for the phone, and my own, very loose-fitting jammies. And a small travel sized glow-in-the-dark travel clock.

I am not sure what the hospital will provide for gas, and "discomfort". As a back-up, my dr. gave me a prescription for some paid meds (Tolador..??), and I also bought Polysporin (to disnifect the wound), Benedryl (I am a sneezer) and Gas X (self-explanatory). The day before I go in, I will make and refridgerate homemade prune paste, in case I have trouble getting the ol' pipes going :-).

Ok - I admit, I am going overboard, but it is my philosophy that we deserve to be pampered and have things on hands just in case. I am planning on leaving a majority of the belongings home, and get hubby to bring them in after the first 24 hours. I doubt I will need most of it before then.

Some of the stuff is for when I am home bound afterwards. Much of my list is a result of my past visits to the hospital (hindsite). If you are not as spoiled as me (hehe), then I agree that simpler is better.

If you can pack things that a friend or family member can bring in, that would probably be best. However, if you are on your own and don't have anyone to fetch you something on a whim, then err on the side of caution by having some of the extras with you.

Just my .02 cents.

Good luck with it!
Unread 04-21-2002, 12:49 PM

i brought 2 pillows with me...wished i had taken more! i took over the one they brought for my DH! hey i was on drugs and didnt know what i was doing! if i tried real hard i could feel bad about taking his one thin pillow! LOL....but dont forget those pillows!!! sending you gentle healing hugs!!!!
Unread 04-21-2002, 02:04 PM
This was my experience

Hi there - I think the must haves are: sanitary pads, lip balm, robe, slippers, deodorant, toothbrush and paste and face lotion. Don't forget your own pillow and the WONDERFUL belly pillow. I didn't read anything because as another poster said, you never really read it and who can concentrate there? I brought my own jammies but it's a good thing I didn't wear them - night #1 I bled all over the place on their johnnys. UGH. I think I would have benefited from any eye mask - my roomie (who was not a hyster patient) was VERY ill and the docs/staff/etc were in there constantly - flipping on her lights at all hours. Maybe ear plugs?
Less is more........you really don't need all that you think you do.
They even give you toasty warm socks with skid proof bottoms
Be well!
Lisa
4 days post op.........sitting here for more than 10 mins is uncomfortable but I can't help it, I'm addicted to hystersisters.com!

My hubby couldnt wait to welcome home his punctured princess
Unread 04-21-2002, 02:08 PM

I can honestly say that I didn't forget anything. This is what I took:

my own bed pillow (made sleeping so much easier), a special 'tummy' pillow, slippers, robe with snaps (easy to put on especially when still hooked up to the IV pump), nightgown (didn't use), socks (didn't need, but it was unusually warm), books for reading (didn't feel like reading), thank you notes (didn't feel like doing until I got home), toiletries, blow dryer (really didn't care about using it), vitamin C hard candies (helped with the dryness), lip balm (definite must), and extra large panties.

Thing to remember is your tummy will be SWOLLEN! I took an outfit that was very loose to wear home and it was almost too tight!

My best purchase and thing that I took with me was slip on tennis shoes (Hanes Her Way). Easy to get on and off and comfortable for walking once I was home.

Good luck!
Unread 04-21-2002, 02:21 PM

I over brought everything. Didn't need anything that I brought except I could have used my hair dryer by the 6th day. Never thought I'd wash my hair, I was only gonna be there 2 nights. Had to call home for that hair dryer.........lol.. xxoo Paula
Unread 04-21-2002, 02:35 PM

I way overpacked; I was only there 1 night. The only things I used were sleep mask, chapstick, toothbrush, toothpaste, bathrobe. For the ride home, a pair of granny panties, a maxi pad, and a small pillow (between belly and seatbelt), plus the clothes I wore to the castle -- a button-down shirt and sweatpants.

I did bring cookies for the nurses, but most of the nurses (and my doc) told me they didn't eat cookies! Serves me right for getting my hyst in a health-conscious place like Seattle. They did appreciate the idea, though.

Of all those things, the chapstick was the most invaluable. My lips got so dry they started peeling! I'm glad I brought earplugs, because I'm a light sleeper, but I had a private room and it was quiet enough without them.

Good luck!

Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register