I am not a lady, and I am certainly not a princess! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am not a lady, and I am certainly not a princess! I am not a lady, and I am certainly not a princess!

Unread 10-15-2014, 02:23 PM
I am not a lady, and I am certainly not a princess!

Am I the only butch woman ever to have a hysterectomy? I am not a lady, and I am certainly not a princess. I do not wear panties, post-op or otherwise. Putting on make-up will not enhance my recovery. I am a big, strong woman with my abdomen sliced up and a killer headache. Any sisters out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2014, 02:54 PM

I doubt you're the only butch lesbian to have a hysterectomy. I'm a bisexual tomboy with a documented "strong alpha male masculine personality" on my medical record put there by a few neuroshrinks that liked to test me too much and too frequently. i guess the VA had nothing better to do. I have literally been scouted for the olympics (for running) I have been a carpenter and computer repair woman for years before getting far enough with a science major to get a better job. Some people think I'm a man based on how I choose to dress and what hair style I have (most of the time it's a military style buzz cut). currently my hair is longer than usual. its at least an inch but most likely an inch and a half by now in the shortest spots. I personally know a butch lesbian that had a hysterectomy when she was about my age. She's a friend of mine. i know i seen what appeared to be a lesbian couple in the obgyn's waiting room earlier this year. who knows why they were there? obviously one of them had an appointment with the dr for some reason. this operation is a common procedure amongst women regardless of what the woman's personality is. it treats many gynecological issues and considering how many hysterectomies go on in the world on any given business day, imagine how many of those could be butch lesbians? or even just a lesbian in general?
Unread 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Re: I am not a lady, and I am certainly not a princess!

LOL, I don't typically describe myself as butch, but I'm not anybody's princess either. :-) I joke all the time that as I get older I'm not turning into my mother, I'm turning into my father. I'm bisexual, married to a man who is strongly in touch with his feminine side. I mow the lawn and fix the computers, he does the cooking and gets the kids off to school. I suspect our uteruses don't really care about our sexual/gender identity, they're just out to kill us for funsies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2014, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the perspective, Aergia! Hope you are recovering swiftly!
Unread 10-17-2014, 08:01 AM

hey ehg

i hear you!

as a lesbian, i've noticed i feel kind of invisible on the site..at least that part, which is a big part. i do know lots of lesbians who have had a hysterectomy, all along the spectrums of butch/femme and gender identity.

i am assuming (but don't know for sure) that all women in the u.s., including lesbians, have hysterectomies at a significant rate, which is higher than most (all?) other western countries...

"The rate of hysterectomy in the United States is high compared with other countries. For example, American women are twice as likely to have a hysterectomy as women in England and four times as likely as Swedish women. French doctors almost never perform a hysterectomy for fibroids, which is the most common reason for hysterectomy in the U.S. Cultural attitudes, physician training, the availability of elective surgery in a particular country and the ability to pay for care are some of the factors that determine these differences."

those stats ^^^^ are from here. i've read similar from other source... http://www.misforwomen.com/service/m.../hysterectomy/

re you headache. did you have an epidural for post surg pain relief? i did, and they punctured the dura which gave a wicked headache starting about 24 hours after surgery. usually resolves on it's own in 5-7 days.

continued healing to you..to us all!

lynn/singingsister13
Unread 10-17-2014, 10:42 AM

Thanks, Lynn!
I didn't really mean it literally. You put it better -- feeling invisible as a non-"feminine" woman. No epidural, but headache is better today.
Unread 07-22-2015, 03:58 PM

You aren't alone. I'm not "a princess" either.

I'm a straight woman who works with power tools and does the car repair in the household. I will wear makeup on occasion but let's be honest-there is no need for makeup when using a table saw

I just had a laparoscopic myomectomy last Wednesday and recovering right now. Last thing on my mind is makeup.

How are you doing-hanging in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHG View Post
Am I the only butch woman ever to have a hysterectomy? I am not a lady, and I am certainly not a princess. I do not wear panties, post-op or otherwise. Putting on make-up will not enhance my recovery. I am a big, strong woman with my abdomen sliced up and a killer headache. Any sisters out there?
Unread 07-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Fully revovered, thanks!
You'll be back to that table saw in no time.
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Good to hear you are back in the swing of things.

Just had my follow up today and the doctor is happy with my healing so yeah....table saw, here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHG View Post
Fully revovered, thanks!
You'll be back to that table saw in no time.
Unread 09-02-2015, 09:22 PM

It would be kind of nice if they would make a sub forum for lesbians on here. I am sure that there are some instances where we may have questions that differ slightly that we may like to direct towards other lesbians.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register