Upcoming hysterectomy: Realistic expectations for recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Realistic expectations for recovery Upcoming hysterectomy: Realistic expectations for recovery

Unread 10-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Realistic expectations for recovery

I am 30 days pre-op. Dr said I will be out 4-6 weeks, but after 4 maybe I can go back to work part-time. I have a desk job, so no hard labor required. I NEED to go back after 4 weeks at the latest, I honestly cannot afford the surgery and cannot afford to be out of work that long.

I am 30 yrs old and healthy other than the uterus problems and I have been through a lot so I feel like my body can handle it but honestly I don't know.

The only other surgeries I have had was a laproscopic one for my gallbladder, which was not bad, a couple days after I was mowing the lawn! I had a d&c and cone biopsy in July and that was fine, only thing that got me was the after effects of the muscle relaxer/anesthesia - the 2nd and 3rd day I felt like I had been run over by a cement truck, I could barely move.

My hysterectomy is going to be done robotically and I was informed today it is "out patient with 23 hr observation" so I think that means 2 days in the hospital? Not sure, I need to talk to the dr more about that.

Anyhow, am I being crazy thinking I should be able to go back to work after 4 weeks? Also, any suggestions for financial assistance? I do not have short term disability coverage in my health insurance and I used all my sick time and vacation hours for all my problems leading up to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Re: Realistic expectations for recovery

I had dvh with bso and I am 13 days post op, and I can pretty much do things I need to do. I cook dinner and do laundry. I don't vacuum or lift anything over 10 lbs. My pain is minimal at this stage of the game unless i over do it. The only incision that hurts is my belly button one cuz it is bigger than the rest. I can manage it with just ibuprofen. I do tire easily but if you have a desk job it might not be as bad. My doc says I will be able to resume exercising at 4 weeks. And there are alot of ladies on here that have gone back to work pretty quick after surgery. I'm just on a no sex restriction till my 8 week check.
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:20 PM

Come to think of it, I don't remember asking my doc how long recovery would be for me! I just assumed I would be out a few days if all goes well. I took a week off work. My thinking was, that if I need more time, I can always extend it. Perhaps you can start with the minimum time off and if need be, extend it until you feel ready.

Good luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2014, 05:41 AM

I had tah, Which is a more invasive procedure and was back at 3 weeks. When you go for your 2 week post op, talk to the dr about your job and your need to go back to work asap. Also, if you are up and moving around as soon as they allow, and try to do as much walking as you can tolerate, this will help you to get your strength back so that you won't be so exhausted when you go back. My recovery was pretty easy, I felt good, so I started right up doing activities that weren't restricted. I think this helped me a lot.
Unread 10-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Realistic expectations for recovery

Recovery times vary a lot, and when someone feels ready to return to work depends on many factors. Personally, I was cleared for office work at 2 weeks, and I felt ready to return. But my job had no office work available, and I was out 5 wks, so can't say how I would have done if I'd actually returned at 2 wks. Some ladies return at 2-4 wks, but others struggle with pain or fatigue until weeks later. It's hard to predict which scenario you'll face. My Dr suggested I gradually increase my activities to get ready to return to work, so I didn't have an abrupt shift. I feel for everyone who has used up sick leave and must return to work on schedule. Finances can dictate actions that may not be your first choice. Try to follow all the "rules" and rest during your time off, and allow a lot of rest time after work when you return. I hope things work out for your return to work, best wishes for an easy recovery.
Unread 10-22-2014, 12:06 PM

I had a TAH and went back to work at a part-time desk job at four weeks. The only restriction was that I had to wait until six weeks to handle 30-40 lb boxes in the archives area. My doc was surprised that I wanted to return to work at four weeks. He agreed that I was ready after I explained that I was getting bored at home and was going for 1-2 hour hikes on wooded trails.
Unread 10-22-2014, 05:08 PM

I have a supracervical davinci 5 days out. Initially he said one week in theory but 2 weeks for good measure. Then he said at least 2 weeks when we were choosing a day. He said even though I "could" go back, that I would not be happy and likely hurt if I pushed it. I have a semi active job.

Whereas I can move around the house easily, did laundry, cooking easily, riding in a car yesterday was not a treat. Walking in the supermarket was frustrating - I have to move slooowwwly relative to my usual pace.
I still have 12 days left, really cannot delay after that, so I am optimistic based on my extremely steady progress. Not extraordinary, but each day has brought some notable progress in a different area.
I imagine if you went through gall bladder surgery you probably have a decent idea of how you will fare!
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:11 PM

Everyone is different, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I was two years older than you, I was extremely athletic; despite the pain & symptoms - 4 weeks would not have been realistic for me.
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:46 AM

I had single site davinci and was back to work in two weeks (working 6 hours in office and 2 from home for a week and a half). I'm 35, very fit and it went just fine. I took my ice pk to work if my tummy swelled a bit.
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Oh and 23 hour observation means outpatient so you could potentially go home same day. I had surgery around 3:45 pm and left the hospital around 8, 8:30 pm that night.or you could stay overnight one night. Just depends on how well you weakens up and your pain level

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register