Staples?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-22-2002, 07:24 AM
Staples??

Oooohhhhooo.....got a staples question......

Hey - my DH named my stitch from my lapo "Wilson" from Tom Hanks' movie Castaway......my DH is a major tease.....he'll get his someday!

Any way, it took 5 weeks for that WILSON STITCH to finally fall out! I went in the shower, it was there, I dried off, it was gone!

So my staples question - - I just read that one of the new Princess's has been home for about 5 days and is having her staples removed.......I thought....NOOOOOOOOO.....please....tell me it is done in the hospital before you go home! What other staple experiences are there? Do they hurt? How many are there usually? Once the staples are removed, are there other topical stitches that need to be removed? Are these metal staples?? I've never had em.......and I'm nervous as heck!

Can you tell I'm freaking out??!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 07:41 AM
Staples??

Donna, There is no need to be nervous over the staples portion of recovery. I haven't had my tah yet but i have had a c-section and had about 12 staples. They are like real staples just heavy duty ones. It doesn't hurt to get them out. I did'nt feel anything but an occasional pinch every now and then when they were removing them. They removed them on the day of my release. I would just concentrate on the fact that when this surgery is over you will be in no more pain, YEAH! and tell that joker of a hubby to keep the jokes to a minimum after your surgery, you don't want to be laughing with a belly full of stitches, ha ha. My hubby is constantly making me laugh to, and i had to keep telling him please stop it hurts to much to laugh after i had my lap. Good luck on your hyst.. I go in for mine on the 25th this thursday! I can't wait till it has come and gone and i can be a queen. I hope i helped ease the worry. bye for now.
Unread 04-22-2002, 07:54 AM
Staples??

Hi Donna! I was sent home with 19 staples in my belly, I had a horizontal incision. On day 4 after the surgery I returned to the doctors office to have them removed. A nurse did this and I was prepared for pain, there was none! *I'm the worst baby!* After that the incision was just healed and kept on healing. I had steri-strips on for 10 days then they just fell off. Just pat your incision carefully dry. Check with your doctor, before surgery about the incision and the staples, everyone is different!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 08:17 AM
Staples

Hi Donna--

I loved the story about naming the incision "Wilson." That cracked me up!

No need to worry about the staples. You will be really surprised to find out that it doesn't hurt! I thought it would hurt when they took them out, but was so surprised that I didn't feel it at all. I was shocked when my nurse said that she was all done. I had 12 staples total, and they were removed on the last day that I was in (after 5 days) and shortly before that, the doc removed my suprapubic catheter, which also did not hurt at all upon removal.

I told my kids (19 and 21) that if my stomach swelling doesn't go down soon, I'm going to have to give it a name. I'm just waiting for some well-meaning person in the grocery store to ask me, "Is this your first?"

Best of luck to you. I had my hysterectomy on April 3 and don't regret it at all. They found a large dermoid cyst and I am so thankful that it is gone.

Also, if you have ever considered bladder repair, this is a great time to have it done. I cannot believe the difference that it has made for me. My doc did the Burch procedure.

Best of luck to you--you'll do great! Just remember to drink your fluids and walk a bit to keep things moving.

Most of all, be good to yourself. The world will still be waiting for you when you are ready.

Bless you,

Saved_one

TAH with left ovary removed/Dermoid cyst/small fibroids/Burch bladder repair---(So worth it!!)--I can do THIS without leaking!
Unread 04-22-2002, 08:27 AM
Staples??

Hi Donna; I had a TAH on April 1; horizontal incision. Had my staples (maybe 10-12, I'm guessing) removed the day I went home; I felt NOTHING when the doctor removed them; I think it's because I was still numb in that area. The staples looked like a staple looks when you load it IN the stapler...does that make sense? It doesn't "hook around" like when you staple something, the ends are just straight down, like an unused staple. After the doctor removed the staples, she put steri strips over my incision and that was it for me; I had no stitches that would need to be removed at a later date.

The tool she used to remove the staples was kind of neat, too - it had a flat end which she just put under the staple and pulled up. I was surprised that I had no pinching or anything.

Good luck to you!!
Unread 04-22-2002, 11:07 AM
Staples??

I had my surgery on Tuesday, Thursday the DR took them out and put steri strips in their place. I didn't feel them being taken out, and I don't know how many I had ("bikini" incision). No one told when they could come off, so after each shower I very carefully smoothed the edges that were lifting back down. At my 3 week check up she laughed when I told her how careful I had been and removed them.
Unread 04-22-2002, 12:33 PM
Staples??

Hi Donna,

I haven't had my hyst yet, but I did have a csection like some of the other ladies here, and I too went home with staples. I had 25 (result of an emergency csection where they cut a bit far)

Moreso than how they felt or looked, was the sensation to touch! I know it sounds crazy, but I couldn't help myself...lol. It felt like running your finger tip over a zipper.

It didn't hurt to have them removed. I felt a little pinch about every 4th staple. That may have been the doc's technique. The nurse cracked me up by saying, "Doc, you're not fileting a trout there. Lighten up on the touch!" She too had staples from surgery in the past she said!!!

Love your nurses....love your nurses....the mantra I keep saying pre-srugery!!!

Joby
Unread 04-22-2002, 12:50 PM
staples

Hi Donna,

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I've had a c-section where they put in staples. They're heavy duty ones and they never hurt me, not even when they took them out. They took mine out the day of my release from the hospital. Don't fret, they look worse than they feel.
Unread 04-22-2002, 01:00 PM
staples...

Hello!

My hysterectomy is still 3 weeks away, but I have had staples before. I have had two c-sections and both times the staples were taken out in the day I went home. It is a little odd but it does not hurt (the noise will annoy the heck out of you though).

Take care!

Unread 04-22-2002, 01:01 PM
Staples??

Imcbrich,
Thanks for the explaination............ how very helpful to know they dont clasps underneith the surface..

Just crusing the posts and found that info important!!
xo DonnaFay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register