squamish cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

squamish cells squamish cells

Unread 04-22-2002, 08:03 AM
squamish cells

Help! I just heard from my gyn and the cervical and polyp biopsy that I had done came back positive showing squamish cells. She said she wants me to see an oncologist, and I am waiting for a call back from him.

What questions do I need to ask, so that I can research later?

Also, the endo biopsy 2 wks ago came back normal. Can I assume that means it's contained?

I'm so scared right now, I can't breath..

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 08:47 AM
squamish cells

((((Sherry)))))

I am so sorry you are so scared right now, I wish I were there to give you a big hug!!
I think you first will need to hear what the oncologist tells you before you know what questions to ask. I am sure he will answer the endo question as well for you.
They are very professional and caring men and women, they know we are very scared and worried, and they are very good at relaying info in terms we can understand. That has been my experience at any rate, and when I spoke with mine for the the first time he told me everything they knew at that point. I was then able to seek info on exactly what he told me and get my questions together.
I think its great that your gyn is having him call you so you don't have to wait for an appointment to see him.
Try and take it easy, and please let us know what he says. Once you talk to him, you will have a better idea of what the situation is.
I hope he calls soon to help put your mind at ease Sherry!
Sending comforting hugs to you!!
Maria
Unread 04-22-2002, 08:53 AM
squamish cells

Sherry,

Try to calm yourself down for the phone call! It is so nice of yor doc to have someone call you right away. Do make an appointment though to see the oncologist and bring someone with you when you go. many of us have found that the questions and anxiety come in waves and we get off the phone and remember one more question... (and then I would forget the answer...)

Do you have a friend who would sit with you today?

Many hugs and blessings
Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 08:59 AM
squamish cells

Thanks so much for the response.. Yes my DH just came home from work, I'm feeling better, at least I'm beginning to breath again.

The Dr still hasn't called back, and I'm supposed to leave in 15 min for a mamo. I don't dare skip this now, but I'm afraid I'll miss the oncologist. I guess I'll call my Dr back and give them my cell..

I don't know what to think or what to ask. Hopefully he'll give me lots of info quickly so I can start to do my research...
Unread 04-22-2002, 09:04 AM
squamish cells

Do you have the name of the oncologist? Why not call their office and see if he/she's available or set up a time to talk.

Most oncologists know that their patients are scared and will talk to you over the phone..unless they are talking to someone in their office.

One thing you learn fast here is don't be afraid to call.

I'm so glad your DH is home.

Dorrie
Unread 04-22-2002, 10:11 AM
squamish cells

(((Sherry))),

I am not a doctor, but here is how it happened with me. If it is just the squamous cells that are affected, it is just the surface cells of the cervix and not necessarily invasive. I've just gone through this ordeal and did lots and lots of research. Email me if you'd like and I'll forward all the research and links I've saved.

I, too, was very upset and scared, went through a colposcopy biopsy then a cone procedure and because I was not confident that all the cells were removed, I went ahead with the hyst and am now on day 11 post op. My path report showed that my doc had gotten it all with the cone procedure, but I am still thankful that I went through with the hyst because they also found fibroids I knew nothing about.

My doc did advise me that a hyst was not a 100% cure and that the cells could still grow on the walls of the vagina at a later date, but for now I'm just glad the cells that were there are gone.

Here's lots of s!
Unread 04-22-2002, 11:48 AM
squamish cells

Thanks to everyone for their reponse. Dorrie, I took you're advice and looked up his office number and called myself. I've got an appt in an hour! I still have to get the referrel from my pcp and the path reports from my gyn over there, but I'm sure they will. Now I just hope I got the right Dr! ; ) The nurse told me she would go talk to him and make sure he returned my gyn's phone call..

I'll let you know what he said this afternoon so that you can help me figure out what this is!

Thanks again,
Sherry
Unread 04-22-2002, 12:10 PM
squamish cells

I'm so glad you got an appointment today!

Let us know what happens

Hugs

Dorrie
Unread 04-22-2002, 05:04 PM
squamish cells

s Sherry

I just wanted to say welcome, I'm glad you found us. I hope your appointment went well and that many of your questions were answered.
Let us know how you made out!

karenann
Unread 04-22-2002, 06:34 PM
squamish cells

Ok, we just got back from the oncologist a while ago.. I can't say I'm thrilled with this guy, but he's on the fast path and I like that. My gyn also wants to assist, so I'm going to talk to her about him and maybe as soon as the surgery is over, I can be returned to her care.

Anyway, here's what the Path reports say, for both endocervix and exocervix:

Poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma.

Any gals out there with this dx? They thought they were doing a biopsy on a uterine polyp, but it turns out to be a tumor the size of the end of thumb on my cervix.

The Dr said that it's an agressive cancer, but the tumor is small and he thinks it's stage 1. He wants to do a radical hyst including lymph nodes and ovaries. Is this normal? When I asked if the normal recovery for this was longer than an abdom., he said no, I release my patients to go back to work in 4 weeks! I said, Well my job gives me 6 wks, no questions asked. He then said, I won't argue about it, if you want to milk it for 6 wks, just make sure and tell my nurses when they do the paperwork. He was so arrogant and insensitive. I also mentioned HS, and he cut me off and said is this some radical feminist anit-Dr site? The nerve! The more I write, the more I'm wondering why I'm even considering going back. I guess cause I don't want anymore delay. The wait so far has been excurciating! Like I said, maybe my gyn can oversee my recovery once it's over.

Please, any info will be appreciated. Dx, personal exp., whatever. I'm felling like I've been beat up pretty good...

Thanks for the help,
Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register