squamish cells - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

squamish cells squamish cells

Unread 04-22-2002, 09:47 PM
squamish cells

Hi Sherry,

I think I have to agree with you on his arrogance and insensitivity! If your job allows you six weeks then by all means take it! And I sure do hope your care can be returned to your regular gyn after the surgery. Have they set the date for the surgery yet?

When I mentioned HS to my doc, he made a remark that I've forgotten, but I know it kinda rubbed me the wrong way and I went on to say that it was women supporting women sharing their experiences and that you all saved me numerous phone calls to his office. I guess until they (the docs) actually get on line and check this site out, they won't understand.

I'm sure someone with more answers about your dx will be along and until then here's some s for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 10:24 PM
squamish cells

Thanks Sonja, yes I'd love to see any research you have. I've been cruising the net all nite and the only new info I can find is a rough definition of 'poorly defferentiated', which appears to mean grade 3 cancer. Now I'm really new to this, but I assume that's what he meant by " It's agressive cancer, but I think we got it early"? So it's grade 3, stage 1. Does that sound right?

SO much to learn and so little time to do it. And here my brain has shut down on me too..

My dh and I were sitting here really quiet this evening, just stunned by the days activites and he looked at me and said, "Don't you feel like we should be doing something besides just sitting here!". I thought yeah, there's alot to do and not much time to do it in, but we just couldn't move at that point. So we went to bed, or at least he did and I pretended and then I got back up to go back online.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It sounds like you're doing pretty well for 11 days post op. Did you have a redical hyst?
Unread 04-23-2002, 12:49 AM
squamish cells

Hi Sherry, sorry I didnt reply sooner but have been out all day.

Ok so you have been told that you have cancer... I take it because the tumour is on the cervix that it is cervical. Hmmm the staging is stage 1 - grade 3 . My oncologist sounds the same as yours. I think it is because they are surgeons and see this everyday. That is no excuse for them to be like it. My oncologist tells me to go home and not to worry yeah right !!! He also shakes his head when I mention the support I have found here, so I dont mention it anymore , his loss.

Honestly, the emotions you are feeling are so normal. I sat and stared for ages when I was first told, of course that was after I fell in a heap on the floor. It is scary and sometimes you just want to go into a corner. But you must stay as positive as possible, there will be days when you want to cry, thats ok , cry, then pick yourself up and say I AM A SURVIVOR. Thats what we all are here SURVIVORS

With the 6 weeks leave...take it. I cant believe that he said that to you. the longer you can rest the better you will heal.

I hope I have helped a little. Please email me at anytime you wish. I am always here for you. You aren't alone in this , we give support , love and above all big hugs. Love always x x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:06 AM
squamish cells

Sherry, I am no help with the diagnosis you got, but I'm very upset about the treatment you got from this oncologist. I don't blame you for wanting someone else, but I understand your urgency. I would feel the same. I would ditch him as soon as he gets the job done! Some of these men have no sesitivity! How would he like someone to treat his wife like that! :burning:
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:13 AM
squamish cells

s Sherry

I am glad the doc saw you so soon. But it is not too late to see if there are any other gyn onc sugeons in your area. If you are that uncomfortable with this doc you might consider a third opinion. Kinda makes me glad my own gyn onc surgeon is a woman. From what I have read, females are rapidly taking over the speciality of ob gyns.

karenann
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:45 AM
squamish cells

Sherry,

I'm sorry about your dx, but it looks like you and your DH have it under control. I'd give the doc a break - yes he was annoying, but yes he saw you the day you called. So I'd say that's even. But you should ask your usual gyn about him - and whether this is typical. Remember too that you want a gyn onc to go the surgery - but you don't have to marry him!!

Docs are all over the map on recovery - and so are women. If you look at the prost op boards, you'll see some women are Ok at 2 weeks and others are still really weak at 10 or 12 weeks. In all honesty, until your post op check up, no one will know. My gyn onc released me to work at 4 weeks, but only 1/2 time - I wasn't released for full time work til 12 weeks. I have a desk job, with no lifting at all.

When's your date?
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:04 AM
squamish cells

Sherry,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis of cervical cancer, which is the same diagnosis that I had. You might want to check out the web site, cancer.gov. The general recommendation there for the type Grade cancer I had was a radical hysterectomy, which is what my two surgeons both recommended. I had this done three weeks ago. A radical hysterectomy includes removal of the tissue anchoring the uterus to the bladder ureters and removal of lymph nodes in addition to the cervix, upper vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries.

It does sound like the oncologist is arrogant about this website, although I know that many physicians are very leery of patients getting information about their medical conditions online. I used to work as an administrator for the operating room several years ago, and I do recall surgeons having a discussion about patients going online and getting inaccurate information and how it could be detrimental to their health or the understanding of their problem.

On the other hand, my daughter was born with a rare craniofacial syndrome, and her plastic surgeon was absolutely enthralled with the idea that I was involved with an online support group and they were so supportive. I met one member face to face when she flew from Texas to Boston to be with us when my daughter had a 10 hour operation that her daughter had the previous year...the surgeon was really impressed by that!

Guess it depends on the surgeon's previous experiences with his patients too! My only real concern was that my surgeon had an excellent surgical reputation...my own OB/GYN was also assisting on my case and I got the TLC from him!

Throughout all of this, I tried remaining as positive as I could. I got relaxation tapes, which really helped me, and right now I can say I had cancer, and I survived cancer! Keep your chin up and if your oncologist is negative about this website...oh well, it is not he (or she) that is going through this, you are and I think the support here is terrific!

Sorry to write a book here...just thought I'd share my experience!
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:15 AM
squamish cells

Thanks so much to everyone... Really what a great site. I'm waiting on a call back from my gyn, so I do think the best of both worlds would be if he does the surgery and then I get my after care from her..

It's funny, I woke up feeling ok, ready to tackle this thing, and then the next minute, I'm crying and shaking. I guess that's normal, tho. I've caught my breath again.

Did anyone here have a tumor growing out of their cervix? I guess I always thought of cervical cancer as being a more degenerative type of thing.

Thanks again,
Sherry
Unread 04-23-2002, 03:02 PM
squamish cells

Well, Hyst is scheduled for May 1st, one more week. The first date they gave me was May 7th, and I got almost hysterical. The PA got on the phone and explained that if I would go to another hospital they could get me in quicker. I said you bet! But that also events
my gyn from assisting... : (

My gyn did call and she made me feel alot better. She said not to worry, that I still belong to her - is she sweet or what - and that she would see me in parrallel with him after the surgery and would co-manage my recovery. She also gave me something so I can sleep at night - ambein, but warned about giving me anything to numb me. She said this is a process I need to go thru, that the week will be gone quicker than I knew, and I needed to be feeling what I'm feeling now. Now that I understand. She validated what I was feeling and not only said it was ok, but that I 'needed' to feel this way. Instead the oncologist made me feel like I was just being a wimp and to get over it... What a difference a few words can make.

Also, I've got a CT scan set up for Thurs. and I have to go get some prep kit from them tomorrow for it. Anyone have any idea what to expect here? I'm dreading another test and waiting for more results... Any idea of what to expect or what else they could find would be appreciated.
Unread 04-23-2002, 03:13 PM
squamish cells

Hi Sherry,

First time poster here with no useful information to add, but just had to tell you that you and your family will be in my prayers until you're way on the other side of this. Hopefully that will be very soon!

And not that my opinion matters, but I think the way you're handling this is fabulous! So glad that your DH and gyn are being so supportive.

My mother dealt with several oncologists back in the early 70s and 80s (and is still here to talk about it!!!) and always maintained that they got into the field because they were good with science, not people. So we always thanked God for their skill, but it didn't mean we liked them very much!

Hugs,

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register