herniated disk | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

herniated disk herniated disk

Unread 04-22-2002, 08:22 AM
herniated disk

Maralyn,
My GYN knows about the disk and asked if I wanted to postpone the surgery. This happened last week. My surgery is a week from today. I am thinking that rest will be good for my back and I won't really have to worry about pain, because I will be on painkillers. I am in most pain while standing. How long would reapiring.healing, etc. a herniated disk take? Wouldn't you rather get the hysterectomy out of the way first? How can I e-mail you directly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 09:51 AM
members' profiles

Hi, Rita! I sent a private message to Maralyn that you were wanting to talk to her about herniated discs. You can also send her a PM or email by clicking the left lower button on any of her posts. It says "profile" and then you'll get her page with info and her PM or email links. Go to technical help if you need more assitance with this! Check for any PMs you might have by clicking "home" at the top of the page. It took me a long time to learn my way around these computer workings, too!
Ruthie
Unread 04-22-2002, 10:04 AM
herniated disk

HI
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR BACK. THERE'S NOTHING WORSE!!!
I HAD A HERNIATED DISC REPAIRED IN 1988. BEFORE THAT WHEN I HAD AN EPISODE THE DR I WAS SEEING THEN WOULD PUT ME ON COMPLETE BEDREST FOR TWO WEEKS W/ PAIN MEDS. I FINALLY FOUND A SURGEON (THE BEST DR EVER) AND AFTER THREE YEARS OF CONSTANT PAIN HE TESTTED ME FOR ALL KINDS OF THINGS AND PERFORMED A DISCECTOMY AND FUSION. I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A MINUTE. I HAVE NO PAIN WHATSOEVER.

BUT MY DH WAS HURT AT WORK LAST FALL AND HE WAS OFF WORK FOR FIVE MONTHS. HE HAD TESTS WHICH SHOWED HE HAS THREE HERNIATIIONS AND ONE BULGING DISC. THEY WILL NOT OPERATE ON HIM CUZ HE WILL BE IMMOBILE AND HE IS A HEAVY EQUIPMENT MECHANIC. SO HE WENT TO TWO DIFFEERENT THERAPISTS AND THEY GAVE HIM EXERCISES TO DO WHICH HE DOEZ FAITHFULLY TWICE A DAY AND IT SEEMS TO BE HELPING. THEY ALSO FITTED HIM FOR THIS MECHANICAL BRACE THAT HE WEARS A FEW HRS A DAY. IT LIFTS HIS SPINE SO IT TAKES THE PRESSURE OFF HIS DISCS. HE'S BACK TO WORK BUT IT STILL HURTS (NOT AS BAD) AND HE IS DROPPING HIS WEIGHT WHICH HELPS ALOT. SORRY THIS IS SO LONG BUT HAVE LOTS OF INFO.

I WAS NINE MONTHS PREGNANT W/ ONE OF MY EPISODES AND HAD TO GO TO HOSPITAL BY AMBULANCE AND COME HOME BY AMBULANCE. THEY WOULDN'T LET ME WALK . I WAS IN THE HOSP. FIVE DAYS. I THOUGHT I WOULD DELIVER WHILE IN THERE BUT THE DR WANTED MY BACK TO HEAL BEFORE DELIVERY. I HAD THE BABY 1 WEEK AFTER I CAME HOME AND DELIVERED NATURALLY. I GUESS BED REST DOES HELP...
GOOD LUCK TO YOU. MY SURGERY IS 5/17. CAN'T WAIT.
TAKE CARE
CHERYL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 10:19 AM
herniated disk

Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted after I see my neurosurgeon tomorrow.
Unread 04-24-2002, 08:20 AM
herniated disk

Well, it is me again. I went to see the neurosurgeon yesterday-to make a very long story short, I will need to have a cortisone injection in my spine to reduce the inflammation of my spinal cord. This should somewhat alleviate the pain I am feeling. So the anesthesiologist suggested that I have this done as soon as I felt up to it after recovering from my TAH. I was told that it is done outpatient and that an anesthesiologist will do it. I then asked him if he knew if the anesthesiologist (a personal friend)doing my surgery does that. Ironically, he is the one he prefers, SO they are going to do it during my surgery!!! I am so scared, but relieved. He said the injection and the bedrest will be good for my back, so I am kind of killing two birds with one stone. After all is said and done-I may actually be PAIN FREE!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register