Pap smears still needed after total hyst. Death hit close to home :(. - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pap smears still needed after total hyst. Death hit close to home :(. Pap smears still needed after total hyst. Death hit close to home :(.

Unread 04-14-2004, 03:03 PM
smear (PAP) tests post TAH

After reading the earlier thread re: smear tests post TAH, I have to add that for all those members currently residing in the UK it will not be usual practice for the NHS to offer those women smears once their cervix has been removed, it would however be available within the private sector either at a cost or through insurance.
Some may find their GP more understanding, but with the NHS at such a stretch already I wouldn't hold your breath!!
Sorry to put such a downer on it.

7 weeks post TAH, recovering well, back to work in just over a week (NHS employee)!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Pap smears still needed after total hyst. Death hit close to home :(.

for new
Unread 11-06-2004, 02:00 PM

I remember after my hyst check up I widely grinned and told doc and nurse, "I guess I won't be seeing ya;'ll again"...WRONG...I have to go every year for one......rats!
But thanks for bumping this for the new sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2004, 02:13 PM

Hi Everyone,
I have an awesome GP and he looked me right in the eyes and said "If you keep your cervix, you will need to have a pap every year!" I said even if I didn't I would still need a pap...LOL He had no clue about that, but did some research and found out I was telling him the truth. Apparently, according to him, I can stop when I hit 75. I looked at him and asked, does that mean Ill live that long??

Hugs ladies....
Kat
Unread 12-02-2004, 07:01 AM

A woman who has had both cervix and uterus removed probably doesn't need an annual pap test. If the hyst was done because of cervical cancer, the need regular paps remains. Those women who keep their cervix will need annual pap tests.

However, what is routine is not always the best for you. Make sure you ask your own doctor if pap tests will continue to be necessary after your hysterectomy.

Vaginal cancer is still a possibility, but the pap smear only tests for cervical cancer. For that reason, routine pelvic exams (but not necessarily pap smears) are still necessary even after a hysterectomy.
Unread 12-02-2004, 08:43 AM

Thanks for dropping that link. It reinforces the fact that all women do not need annual pap tests after a hysterectomy if they do not have a cervix.

It also give the definition of a pap test:

Quote:
What is a Pap test?
The Pap test (also called a Pap smear) checks for changes in the cells of your cervix
If the hyst was done because of cancer or a precancerous condition, the vagina still needs to be tested for abnormal changes.

If in doubt as to whether or not a pap is necessary, ask your doctor. And if your doctor advises a pap test even though you have no cervix, ask why.
Unread 12-24-2004, 09:01 AM

Thanks for posting that link msmonih. About a year or two ago I read a news article that stated that women no longer needed to do self breast exams and when I asked my OBGYN about it during my follow up pelvic exam and pap smear, he asked me when my last mammogram was and I said I never had one. He said that's exactly why I should continue doing the monthly self breast exam because younger women can get breast cancer too. It's always better to be safe and get the pap done while the dr. is in there anyway since you have to have a pelvic exam anyway and breast exam and the dr. can write a prescription for a mammogram once you reach a certain age. I suspect that my friend may have had a hysterectomy and then had never gone for follow up paps and then had been diagnosed with vaginal cancer because if she had a cervix the cells would have been scraped from her cervix if present. Know what I mean? Anyway I hope this helps some of you and good luck to everyone. s
Unread 12-24-2004, 09:09 AM

Thanks!
I was told I didn't need it anymore?????? I will be sure to call and ask as soon as the Holidays are over.

Merry Christmas!
D'anne
Unread 12-24-2004, 10:07 AM

Here it comes again - back to the top!

I was told to get a pap every year, plus I was also told that even with the ovaries out it is possible (but rare of course) that you can still get ovarian cancer...So, it really is important to still get a pap because during the pap they usually do an internal exam as well..its gets you into the dr. to just stay healthy.

Love to you all,

Shelly
Unread 12-24-2004, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Catherine
And if your doctor advises a pap test even though you have no cervix, ask why.

I am beginning to think the reason he wants me to have one is because I have had severe dysplasia in the past.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register