4 weeks post hysterectomy: doctors say vertigo not related to tah? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post hysterectomy: doctors say vertigo not related to tah? 4 weeks post hysterectomy: doctors say vertigo not related to tah?

Unread 10-28-2014, 08:30 AM
4 weeks post hysterectomy: doctors say vertigo not related to tah?

I had vertigo for the first time 4 weeks post op. The room was spinning. I felt nauseous. I went to urgent care after a day and a half and was given antivert and a sinus drainage medication. The antivert did not work. The urgent care doc said that's unusual, it should work and if it didn't clear up in a day to go to the er. It did clear up around noon. I still have a few dizziness bouts with some spinning, but it has improved. I had called my pcp and the gyn resident. Those two and the urgent care doc said that vertigo has nothing to do with my surgery or menopause. Yet I see many posts saying otherwise. I believe there is some kind of link. What is it? I am worried because I am losing too much weight from the surgery and now the nausea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Re: doctors say vertigo not related to tah?

I think the difference is that people have had vertigo right after their surgery, I did, and it went away within a week or so, I think mine was either residual effects of the anesthesia, or because I was dehydrated and hadn't eaten for a few days. If yours didn't start until 4 weeks after, those things shouldn't be factors.
Unread 10-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy: doctors say vertigo not related to tah?

I get the dizziness from menopause.....low estrogen causes that.
I do get nausea too.
I think maybe you should get your thyroid checked and other things checked out.
Having no hormones all of a sudden sorta makes some systems in our body go a bit weird.
So definitey get your levels checked out such as thyroid, vitamins, adrenal systems, that sorta stuff.
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Go to your PCP and request a full blood test for infection, thyroid, and hormones if they haven't already. That will tell them where you stand on estrogen levels. Are you having any other menopause symptoms because that one alone might not be enough to say that it is menopause.

Also did they test if your ear rocks are messing with you (yes, I'm serious! This is a very real medical condition and will cause vertigo if you have it!)? http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20028216 The fact that the sinus meds did help might point to this as your problem.

If you had a cold/congestion recently coupled with the positioning during surgery, this could be a possibility. You were tested if they dipped you down on the table quickly and examined your eyes' reaction to the movement. This is cured through physical therapy and is a common cause of vertigo.
Unread 10-31-2014, 10:16 PM

If you're taking any meds maybe check possible side effects? I started getting the "room spinning dizzies" about one week post-op. I read that dizziness can be a side effect of both ibuprofen and acetominophen, both of which I had been taking the max dose of. I stopped taking them and dizziness was gone within about 12 hours (would have called doctor if that hadn't worked). Hope you get to the bottom of it, it is a terrible feeling. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register