new and waiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new and waiting new and waiting

Unread 04-22-2002, 03:02 PM
new and waiting

Hi... I am 40y/o and have recently been diagnosed with adenomyosis. I had a lap done on3/19/02 and was expecting to find that my enodmetriosis that had been burned off 9 years ago had returned. After the lap the Dr. told me that what he found was a significantly enlarged uterus, and a very large cyst on my right ovary. I have had an extreme amount of pain and heavy periods for many years.. I am now waiting to schedule my TAH (I go 4/29), He is giving me the option to leave my left ovary but I am not sure what to do.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I didn't ask what a "significantly" enlarged uterus is but was told he could not do a vag hyst because he would never be able to get my uterus out that way.. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Shera39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 03:24 PM
new and waiting

I too was diagnosed with suspected adeno after a lap...I was very fortinate to have a fantastic experienced surgeon in lap hyst. My uterus was enlarged too (not sure how big yet), but he said if he had not done in with the lap, he would never have been able to do it vaginally! I had my LAVH/BSO last Tuesday and am feeling really good!! I did have both ovaries removed but you will get the pro's and con's of that here in this site...my decision to do this was that my doc and I felt since I had total relief from Lupron for 6 months it was the only way to guarentee me a pain free life with not surgeries to worry about later...I am happy with my decision and am doing just fine on HRT (Estrace 2 mg)...I am only 31 and HRT was a big concern for me! Hope everything goes great, let us know when you have your date!
Unread 04-22-2002, 03:49 PM
new and waiting

shera, I had adenomyosis as well. My ovaries were both covered with cysts, and loaded with scar tissue. On the ultrasound, doc said the ovaries didn't look all that bad, and was going to save them if she could, since I am only 48. I had to have a horizontal incision as well, uterus was just too big to effectively handle, I guess.

Ended up only saving the right ovary, they wrapped it in collagen to try and prevent further adhesions...left ovary was all adhesed and tangled around my colon, so I'm glad they went in thru the abdomen, because there was a lot of cleanup to do, and an abdominal cut certainly gave them a better field of vision to work with.

My husband is a surgeon, and was there for the whole thing. I hd told him before hand, I'd like to keep at least one, but if it's not possible, so be it. His technical answer afterwards was, honey, you were a real mess.

Personally, I'm glad the ovary is there, and so far, functioning. I just don't want to mess around with HRt right now if I don't have to. But hey, if it happens, it happens.. the problems with postop stuff are NOTHING compared to the pain I was in constantly
BEFORE the surgery.

So glad you found your way here to this site, there are so many great ladies here to help you

Cynthia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register