Can I still be a sister? please... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can I still be a sister? please... Can I still be a sister? please...

Unread 04-23-2002, 05:53 AM
You are my Sister!

Hey Maralyn,

I couldn't respond fast enough! Yes, of course, you should stay a sister. I feel like you are my sister, and I wouldn't want to lose a sister. We all need to lift each other up. Hang in there, and pray, pray, pray!!!

Take Care and God Bless You!

Your Hystersister

P.S. E-mail me anytime!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 06:22 AM
Can I still be a sister? please...

Hey Maralyn, just read your post and you're a sister to me, and it looks like everyone else feels the same! The others gave you some good advice--hope it works for you!

Unread 04-23-2002, 07:46 AM

((((Maralyn))))

Of COURSE you are still a sister to us!! Any woman with gynecological issues needs the love and support that can be found here whether or not they have surgery! I'm just so sorry that you have to deal with the pain in the meantime. I have to agree with the other sisters that it would do no harm to get a second and third opinion regarding surgery and your blood clotting difficulties. I just hope that all turns out well for you in the end.

And what's this about getting courage to come back into the chat room????? We're waiting for you girl! So get on in there...I promise we'll be gentle....heh, heh.

s

Windy (aka Able in chat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 08:41 AM

Maralyn, I'm sorry I'm so late getting to this thread. I Factor V Leiden, a blood clotting disorder. I didn't know about this prior to my hysterectomy and I had a clot after my surgery which required another hospitalization.

One thing you should do if you haven't already is to see a hematologist. My hematologist has told me that if I shoud ever need another surgery, precautions would be taken and he would anticoagulate me ahead of time, so even with a clotting disorder surgery is possible. If you're comfortable waiting six months, that's fine, but it might be a good idea to use that time to find a good hematologist if you haven't already.

I'm glad you decided to stick around. I've learned so much in the time I've been a member here. Keep us posted on your status.

Best wishes,
Unread 04-23-2002, 10:36 AM

Hi Maralyn,
Just wanted to add my wishes for you. You have been a great help to me and I consider you my sister too. I am so sorry there is a delay, I know how hard that can be. Take the best care of yourself as you can so that when and if the surgery happens you will be ready for it. Ask your doctor if there are some vitamins or herbs or something that will help you to be in the best possible health for surgery. I agree that a 2nd or 3rd opinion might be an excellent idea. I had a couple close calls after surgery with the possibility of blood clots- surgery itself and from the Tamoxifen. I had to go to the ER on the 13th, surgery 9th, with difficulty breathing and erractic heart rate. They thought it was blood clots and put me through all kinds of tests including a nuclear lung scan. Thank God no clots, just my asthma kicking into high gear. So, the blood clot factor is of concern. s and ers for you. Please email me if you need or want to talk anytime. I just turned 55 on the 19th and had not gone into menopause prior to surgery. Sure have hit it now!!!

Luv Ya, God Bless

Sharon
Unread 04-23-2002, 11:25 AM

Hi Maralyn!

I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through! And, I think you'll always be a sister...we need to stick together!

I'm having a LSH-BSO on May 8 and actually have a history of blood clots, the most recent happening this past January. I don't have any of the inherited disorders, that I know of--I'm still waiting on one last test result (the Protein S). But I do have primary relatives who have also had clotting problems.

My doctor's going to use Lovenox (some use Heparin) for surgery. You can look it up at www.rxlist.com.

This is also one of the reasons I'm having a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy (LSH). It's only four small incisions and studies have shown it causes the least amount of trauma and blood loss. I don't know the particulars about the size of your fibroids, but I have read other hystersisters' posts about them not being a problem for this procedure.

I'm 47 and have been in perimenopause (according to hormonal testing) for almost 3 years now. But with all the problems I'm having, waiting for menopause is not a good option.

I'm comfortable with my decisions because, like you, I've asked A LOT of questions! I have also gotten second, and even third, opinions. I think a consultation with a hemotologist and a gyne who is very experienced with LSH's might help. No matter what the outcome, at least you'll know you made a sound decision.

In the meantime, I'll pray for menopause to come asap! I truly wish you all the best...keep in touch with us!

Carol
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:28 PM
you're so kind!!!

Oh thank you everyone, you're so kind...and so right.
I should get a second opinion. You see, I just assumed I would have no problem finding a doctor who would operate in a blink. All I'd have to do is sign on the dotted line....that I know the risk and I'm willing to take it. I was thinking that usually people go for a second opionion when they don't want the surgery. My doctor will do it, taking all precautions, she just doesn't feel it's worth the risk. She is aware of the recent death and many hospital admits of my immediate family. But...you are all so right. It is major surgery...I need a second opinion more than most because of this complication. Why didn't I see that?

Carol, I know nothing of the LSH surgery but will read all I can plus the site you mentioned. And Catherine, I'm sure you know all about factor v by now.

And yes, everyone is right again. I should get myself a hematologists anyway. My doctor said we would need one. Might get into further trouble with menopause or end up with an emergency...like Cynthiag did 2 days ago. Ya, I need one now.
Thanks for not only letting me stick around but for giving me a little push to look to the future. After the decision was made not to have surgery, I'd closed the chapter...at least for 6 months. But your insight has made me look at it again and I need to be proactive.
Oh, I'm a sister on a mission!!!! Thank you from the bottom of my everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register