rectocele surgery failure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

rectocele surgery failure rectocele surgery failure

Unread 04-22-2002, 04:42 PM
rectocele surgery failure

had a tvh 6 months ago with repairs for cystocele and rectocele. now it apears that the rectocele is returning. has anyone else had this problem so soon after surgery. i hate the idea of having to go thru more surgery. i was careful and followed dr instructions, so i don't know why i could be having prolapse again. is there anything else to do to try to correct this cele without further surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 06:25 PM
how did you know?

Hi, I was just wondering how you knew that your rectocele repair was failing? thanks
Unread 04-23-2002, 01:17 AM
Rectocele etc.

Could it be a prolapse of the rectum you are experiencing?
I have experience of this. And previous to this had the cystocele and the recotcele done (Anterior and posterior repair). You would need to see a colorectal Consultant if this was the case but if you need any help and want to compare notes, PM me.
Rosepetal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 11:47 AM

hi,

I had a tvh with anterior and posterior repair on 2-8-02,(due to uterine prolapse) and the rectocele had returned by my 6th week checkup. I had noticed it around 3 weeks because it is much lower now and causes back pain, and mentioned it to my dr. and he verified it and said stay on laxatives for 6 months and wait and see. He said he could fix it but it would cause alot of other problems.(vagina too tight, scar tissue, etc) Needless to say, it is much worse than before, and it about ready to bulge right out, plus it puts pressure on my back, and very, very bad constipation problems. I am healed up nicely otherwise. I have an appt. next monday for a 2nd opion, and see what kind of sugical options there are. I am going to have it fixed, but want to find out that the fix can be successful.

I was very, very careful with not lifting, no straining, stayed on stool softners, laxatives, did what I was told, to hold up my end.
Dr. said in 8% of the cases, for whatever reasons, some fail.
so at almost 11 weeks post op, the rectocele is now on the verge of bulging clear out, which it was not before the surgery. I had an endrometrial ablasion in 96 for heavy bleeding, so my main symptom of the prolapse was back pain that crept up over a years time, which I blamed on every thing else, not dreaming of prolapse.

Gets kind of depressing, the back pain and constipation, but am upbeat about the new apt. so I can see what all the options are, and sucess rate.

This is my first post so may be lenthy or not enough info.
It has been etremely valuable to be able to read the posts and know there are others out there with the same problems. And after reading thru some of them, you realize others have a much worse problem than you do.
thanks for sharing
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:01 PM

went to the dr because i felt like i was not healing right. dr said that the rectocele was starting to come back. it is really not much of a problem other than the fact that it kinda bums me out that after having it fixed when i had the hyst, it came back. i really don't think i will do anything about it yet - just wait until it really falls. thanks for answering. oh, slw, good luck with your appt and 2nd opinion
Unread 04-23-2002, 04:59 PM

I a little confused what exactly bulges and where when a rectocele has failed?

how does the doctor find it? are you sitting, laying or standing when he is able to find it? i ask because I think my doctors need a hand in treating me....sometimes I think they went to med school just for the spring breaks.. and partying.. .....and the op to wear a white coat and stethescope around their neck.....and lets not foget to have a prefix besides the standard ms. mr. mrs.....(hope I dont offend any docs)

please help out the uninformed lucki......thanks...bj
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:44 PM

bj,

Before I had the hysterectomy, I wasn't sure about the cystostele and rectocele, the bulging was not low (the bladder or rectum is like a hernia bulging into the vagina,which then can prolapse on out until it protrudes and hangs out the vagina)
partly because I was uniformed, after the diagnoses it became fairly obvious once you knew what to look for. One way to tell would be if a tampon would not stay inserted.(which i did not need) or maybe incontinence, which I was lucky and did not have. Now post op, I have a bulge that is very obvious,(right inside the opening to the vagina) standing or sitting it is more noticeable than lying down. It gets a little lower every day, and is right on the verge of hanging outside the opening. If you press on it it feels like you need to have a bowel movement. I am also having serious bowel trouble. I am lucky because it could be worse, some ladies have to press on the spot to have a bm. I assume that is where I would be headed. Anyway I learned all of this since my surgery, reading this web site and others, just trying to figure out what was wrong. When I went for my 6 week post op checkup, I pointed out before the exam that I could feel something and it wasn't as noticeable laying down. The dr. confirmed it and then did a rectal exam. He said it had fallen back down, and was pulling on something in my back. I am not keen on any more surgery, but the back pain was what drove me to the dr. in the first place, so I am not the happiest camper in the world right now. The pain is not excruciating, it just wears on you, and gets a little worse the lower it drops.

good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register