Cervical Dysplasia/Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Dysplasia/Hysterectomy Cervical Dysplasia/Hysterectomy

Unread 04-22-2002, 06:39 PM
Cervical Dysplasia/Hysterectomy

I see several posts with reasons for hysterectomies, but, I can not seem to find anyone who is having one or has had one because of cervical dysplasia. After years of battling this thing, my dr says that this is my best option. I don't know if this is reason enough for hysterectomy. Please let me know if there are others who have had surgery for this reason. I would like to hear other stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 07:11 PM

Hi Lilylynn -

I am having a hysterectomy tomorrow afternoon and I have severe cervical dysplasia. For me, it was the best decision because I have other reasons for wanting the hyst. I have horribly heavy periods and cannot have anymore children for medical reasons. I was on bed rest for 5 months, just trying to get as close to term as I possibly could and am fortunate to be alive to raise my children. So for me there really was no other choice.

However, for simple cervical dysplasia, there are lots of other treatment methods that as less invasive than the hyst. There is cryotherapy (freezing the cells), cauterizing the cells (I can't remember the term). There is also a LEEP procedure which is both a test and a treatment and a treatment called conicals. In this procedure, they go out a little farther than the cells and then cut down in a cone shape to make sure they get all the bad cells.

There are so many factors involved in making a decision such as this. I hope that you have a wonderful doctor, one who inspires confidence and whom you feel comfortable with. If this is not the case, you might want to consider delaying the decision making and find a doctor who better meets your needs. If you have that type of doctor already, they will obviously help you with that decision.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision and hope everything goes well for you. I am looking so forward to being a punctured princess tomorrow!

Take care and be well - Linda

Unread 04-23-2002, 03:51 AM

Linda,

First, I will be thinking of you today and praying for your speedy recovery. Thanks for the response. All of the procedures you have mentioned have been done, some twice. I just can't seem to get rid of this. My dr is concerned that when the dysplasia chooses to advance, it may be quickly. Yes, I do have trust and confidence in my dr, so I hope to be doing the right thing. It was a tough decision with there really being no other symptons. I came to think that having a pre-cancerous condition for so many years was becoming too risky.

God bless you today and each day through your recovery. Let me know how you are feeling.

and best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:31 AM

Lily Lynn!

I did have some cervical problems, but not dysplsia. I also had adhesions and adeno with my uterus, so I had a lot of things that needed to be handled.

Have you gotten more than one doctors opinion?

Sara
Unread 04-23-2002, 05:58 AM

I am having my hysterectomy for the same reason. I have had 2 LEEPs one with my first pg in 95 then here in 2002 with the birth of my 3rd child. Now my cells can back as CIN 3. So, I am having a hysterectomy on May 7th. I have been on rollercoaster with my feelings. My family thinks I'm crazy LOLOL.
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:17 AM

Hi lily, there are quite a few ladies who have had cervical dysplasia and I would like to invite you to cancer concerns forum here on the hystersister site. Thats where most of them post in regards to their fears of cancer etc.

If you are not sure it would be a good idea to get a 2nd opinion. You must be certain . Read ,ask questions and then you can make an informed decision that you are happy with.

My dyslpasia was an aggressive and invasive type so I chose to have the hysterectomy. You can read the saga by clicking 'my story' below.

I wish you well and hope that you do come introduce yourself to us in CC. Please email whenever you need, I am always here for you. take care and love and hugs to you xxxx
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:33 AM

I too, have experienced the cervical problems. I've been through LEEP, Cone, repeated Paps and monthly colposcopy procedures for 10 years. In Feb 02 things changed.....My Dr. gave me options and I believe this is the best for me due to my past history and what is going on in my body now. My blood counts are way off and it was thought that I had leukemia but that as since been ruled out. I am seeing a hemotologist as well as my ob/gyn. I hope to get my date today.....I have a uterine biopsy scheduled at 2:30. I am so used to all the procedures, you'd think I would not be too concerned over this one but I am going nuts. Can't wait for 2:30 to come and go today.

Best wishes to you and your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register