AIS (Adenocarcinoma in Situ) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

AIS (Adenocarcinoma in Situ) AIS (Adenocarcinoma in Situ)

Unread 04-25-2002, 11:04 AM
AIS (Adenocarcinoma in Situ)

Hi,
I do not think that the Mayo Clinic will know anything more. I do think though in general, second and third opinions are important. I went for 3 opinions in NYC. I went to doctors out of Memorial Sloan Kettering, NYU and Mt. Sinai. They were all up on the latest research and all told me the same thing. Everything that you have said is what my doctors told me as well.

Oncolink, which is published by the University of PA has a very good website. Perhaps your husband should do a search and he can read the latest research.

Good luck

-Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 01:56 PM

Hi susan, at the moment you are still in shock after being told ' you have cancer '

I am not at all familiar with your medical system over there but I do recommend getting a 2nd or 3rd opionion if you are not 100% happy. But dont leave it too long.

When I was first told I had cancer , I too wanted to find all the latest treatments etc. I can even remember telling my gyn.that I would sell my house to go to America to get the latest , most advanced treatment there was ( of course Australia is up there with the rest of the world ) but this was stress talking.

By all means check out all the alternatives and options . But remember you are still in very early stages and it is curable. you take care , love always
Unread 04-26-2002, 10:08 PM

Hi Susan!
Robin asked me to check out your post. Sorry I took so long, but I've been moving.
I had adenocarcinoma of the cervix, stage 1b. I was told that adeno CAN be more agressive, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it IS. However, through my surgery and radiation I still don't know what the 'in situ' part means. Maybe that didn't pertain to me. I am 32, not married, and no kids. I always thought that if I ever had kids, it would be around my mid-thirties. Of course, this is no longer an option, but I'm still glad I had the surgery. Since they took everything out, they were able to examine the area with a 'fine tooth comb' and see what was REALLY going on. They thought I would only need the hyst, but the pathology report showed that the cancer had invaded the lymphatic vessel. It had NOT reached any of the lymph nodes, however, so they did not feel that chemo was necessary. I went through 5 weeks of radiation which was not too bad, but still no picnic. I'm not trying to scare you, because to me it was all worth it to know just where the cancer truly was. Not knowing is the hardest part, I think. As far as the surgery, it was easy and the recovery went well. My family could not believe how alert I was once I woke up! There are still things to deal with, but it's getting better. You lose some of your vaginal length with a cancer hyst, but with some effort and patience, you can stretch it back. My doctor had told me that this could not be done, but after talking with many 'sisters' I realized that this really didn't make sense, seeing as how the vagina stretches considerably during childbirth. There IS sex life after a cervical cancer hyst, but it will take some effort and time. If you do not need any further treatment, even better! I didn't have any real difficulties until after I underwent radiation, but now I'm pretty much back to normal. Hubby will be happy to know that lots of sex is prescribed to get you back in 'shape'. Just take it easy and don't do too much at a time, just like starting an excercise program!

I know you're worried about the strain that this could put on your marriage, but please put yourself first right now. I know that you're worried about how the hyst could affect your sex life should you decide to have it, but it would only be temporary. This is a trying time for your marriage, I'm sure, but I'm afraid there is no easy answer. "For better or for worse." This is the "worse" part. Otherwise the vows would be "for better or not so bad". There is adoption, there is surrogate motherhood should you decide to freeze your eggs. I know it is frustrating for you the way your hubby is handling things, but it CAN be hard on him and he could be in a kind of denial about it, wanting to believe in the opinions that bring about the least amount of change or worry. Follow your heart on this. It's your body and you know it best. Get all the opinions that you want, but don't go into denial yourself. I know it's not easy, but there are women here who have walked the path who will pray for you every step of the way, myself included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2002, 07:33 AM

Hi Susan,

My thoughtsand prayers are with you.

Just wanted to point out that a hyster doesn't have to mean the end of your sex life - lots of women here on Hystersisters will testify to that!

Please see the following 2 links to articles by Trish:-

http://www.hormonejungle.com/libido.php
http://www.hormonejungle.com/better.php

Unread 04-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Steph and Chris - Thanks!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

I'm glad you both are doing so well. I too thought mid-thirties would be about the time we would start a family and I guess because my DH is still so young himself, not to be a martyr, but he could have a full life still with someone else and have children. So I have that "if you love someone, set them free" idea going on in my head. Then I jump right back to feelings being scared for myself and needing him there - at least during this time. One day at a time right?

Wow so I sound like a rambling idot or what!

Sometimes it's hard to wait for the next step. Like I want to jump outside of myself until it is all worked out, and then jump back in....but I guess that's not what life is about. It's about living through the good and the bad.

I know that if I follow my heart, things will work out no matter what, and my own internal "kitchen psychology" says I am young, have wonderful family and friends and will never truely be alone, it is just an extremely lonely and insecure time. Just when I think I have gotten it out of my head - oops! There is is right back in there I'm sure you all know what I am talking about.

My DH is a great person who means well and cares for my well being most of all I know - it's just I've seen all too many times, the man waits until the woman is unhappy to leave a marriage that they themselves are not happy and fulfilled in, and I would hate to see someone who started out as my friend end up less satisfied in life...

I just can't get that out of my head.

I'm not all depressed or anything, I have made peace with my decision, it's just the waiting (as you all know) that is the hardest part!!

OXOX

Day by Day!
Unread 04-27-2002, 12:28 PM
FYI

My surgery report says Endometrial Adenocarcinoma Grade 1. I don't know if that is different than just Endometrial Carcinoma or not. But thankfully it was caught early.
I had a pap at the same time as my endometerial biopsy. My pap came back normal. My post op pathology report also showed upper endocervix carcinoma in situ.
My surgery report goes on for 5 pages and the pathology report for 3 pages. Someday I will look all this stuff up. But for now I am glad it is all gone.
Unread 04-27-2002, 01:02 PM

Hi Susan!

It's me (Steph) again. I'm glad you're at peace with your decision. That's soooo important for you. But it sounds like you're having doubts in other areas of your relationship. I don't want to get too personal, only you know what's going on. My boyfriend and I broke up recently. I won't say it was because of my experience with cancer, because it wasn't. We would have broken up sooner or later, anyway. Going through that tough time did bring out his 'true colors', though. He's great in some areas, but when it came down to me needing to depend on him, I couldn't. It just amazed me because whenever someone I care about even gets a cold, the 'nurse' in me kicks in and I'll do whatever I can to make that person comfortable. He was there to hold me and to listen, but not much else. I came home from the hospital to clothes on the floor and dishes in the sink and a "well you're home all day..." attitude. I had serious doubts about the relationship before cancer was ever part of the picture. So just be honest with yourself and with him. You're married and that's not to be taken lightly. You both made a commitment to each other and now is the time when commitment is truly needed. You may want to consider seeking counseling for the both of you right now. Your doctor or hospital may have a program especially for dealing with these types of situations. If he won't go with you, go for yourself and maybe go with a family member. And please, don't feel 'guilty' about not being able to provide him with children. Again, there are other means of having children and soooo many kids out there need the love of a good home. Your husband married you, not the children you would bring him. I am only saying these things because from your first post I've been sensing doubt or concern at the very least. Communication is your strongest allie at this time. Talk to each other. We're all here to listen to you, support you, and help you. Countless women on this site have dealt with countless situations. Some women have had men in there lives who went out of their way to cushion every step, while others make a hard experience that much harder. Other women have had their families to lean on, while others have had to undure it all on their own.

You're not alone. I promise. There's nothing you can't say here, and no matter what you're going through, good or bad, there are others here who understand completely.
Unread 04-27-2002, 04:01 PM

Hi Susan, your poor thing it is the pits when you have an over active mind !!! I am the same , my mind has all these scenarios going on in it .

When I was going through it all , I kept thinking if only I can go to sleep and wake up when it is all over and sometimes I would take a nap , all the worries would go and I would wake up and they were still there..... I still had cancer and I still had to go through all those emotions. But... you know what , it does get better , you do get through it and if I hadnt lived through it , I wouldnt be who I am now doing this. So for that I am thankful.

You will get through it , I promise. and while you are waiting , we are all here with you , every step of this road. You are close to my love always x x x
Unread 04-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Hi

I got pregnant and immediately had a stage three pap. I had a rough pregnancy, I was ill the whole time. I was also 29. I had a girl 14 months ago, and by the time she was three months old, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer stage IIIA. I had a normal pap six months before the pregnancy. It depends on how much you want children. Since I am 30 now, and I have my baby- I had my hysterectomy when she was about four months old. I will be starting radiation next month. Please get some second and third opinions. This is treatable cancer and a hysterectomy is forever!!!! I am in no way telling you to have a baby before you treat the cancer, but seriously weigh the options before you get your hyst. Thoughts and prayers, E-mail me anytime as I will be thinking of you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register