Ok- I am home and more alert now... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok- I am home and more alert now... Ok- I am home and more alert now...

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:39 AM
Ok- I am home and more alert now...

My surgery was on 4-19 at 8:00 am. Before going in I was given something for relaxation...Boy did it work. All I remember is going into the O.R. room, looking around for a moment and talking to the DR. (which I couldn't tell you what was said)- Then I woke up in recovery around 10:am by a nurse. To say the least I felt like I had been hit by a train and then backed over again.I don't think it was so much the pain but just the drugs...lol- I was very groggy all day however finally around 9 pm I was alert enough to actually carry on a conversation. My DH tried to feed me supper but I kept falling asleep...lol I do remember when I got into my room I went on and on about "burning up". I was so hot. The nurses said it was most likely the medication. I had to stay in the recovery room for along time because they didn't have a room availble. My DS and DH did come in shortly to visit. My DS said I kept getting mad because I was looking at the clock and it was approching 11 am and I was upset that I was going to miss THE PRICE IS RIGHT...lol My parents were ther also after surgery- this was nice due to the fact that several days before I wasn't sure if they would be there or not.
The first night after surgery was me sleeping on and off. I would watch some TV but mostly asked for pain meds and would dose off again.
Day 2- Catheter was taken out- Then the fun part began- I had to walk to the Restroom. I was so afraid I would not be able to tinkle. Luckily after sitting in there for several minutes with the water faucet going I finally did it. I mainly just stayed in the bed taking my meds- eat when food was brought, and tried walking as much as possible.
Day 3- I started feeling better. I took a shower and washed hair. Walked some that day. That night started feeling very consipated so I had to be given a enema- NEVER thought I would want one but I was real ready for some relief.
Doctor decided I couldn't go home until Monday so I tried to rest alot. My DH went home for several hours to do some housework and cut grass. I knew he was getting tired of staying there.
Day 4 (Monday) - Had staples removed- Had to be given a supossitory for relief again. Got to come home.

My DH and DS have been so good thru this. I have had alot of support from some family members and lots of friends.

IF I CAN GIVE ANY ADVISE to those in WAITING- ask your DR if it is ok for you to take stool softeners several days before surgery. I did do this but still had problems. I am afriad if I hadn't cleaned my system out before surgery I would have been in worse shape.

Don't OVERPACK- you most likely will not feel like changing cloths much and don't care about what you look like...lol

If the hospital allows you to go outside (in a wheel chair) get your DH or friend to wheel you out even if for a few minutes- I did and it made me feel better to get out.

AND MAKE SURE YOU- drink- drink drink- walk, walk walk, and rest, rest, rest- Even the small tasks Seem SO BIG.
I got to the point of drinking stuff I didn't even like (hot tea's, coffee, ect) trying to help BM.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE- I ended up having TAH- DR decided to leave ovaries-

Thanks to all who anwered all my questions and kept me in your thoughts-

runabout
(lynne)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 09:56 AM

Lynne:

So so very happy to know you are home and you seem to be doing well. It's music to my ears, and probably all of the ears of those of us still waiting. Thanks for your good advice--I already wrote some of it down. Take it easy now, and let us know how you're progressing during recuperation and rejuvenation!

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:03 AM

WONDERFUL news.......... I am so proud of you.... YOU DID IT!!
Must feel great emotionally......... the body will follow..

take care and thanks for your incouragement.
xo DonnaFay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 03:22 PM

Wooho.....

Glad you are home and the worst is behind you .

Hugs to you and be sure to keep us posted!
Unread 04-23-2002, 03:28 PM
Yea!!!

Hey runabout....you did GREAT !!! Good advice for everyone. So glad you're done with it and are on the road to healing. Take care...keep us posted....
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:00 PM

Lynne, welcome home!!

Remember to rest a lot, drink a lot and walk a little and *never, never overdo*!!
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:24 PM

Lynne,

I am so encouraged by your post. I can't wait 'til I, too, can write that it is over and I'm feeling much better! Keep up the good work! One more week for me until the big day.
Judy

;jumping;
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:27 PM

OK I give up! How do you get the smilies to work? I tried both colons and semi-colons.

Judy
Unread 04-23-2002, 07:01 PM

Thanks everyone-

Judy Ann go to the left when you are replying to Static Smilies List and it will show exactly how to type it in. There have been times it hasn't worked for me.

Good Luck
runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Good Story

Thank you very much for sharing.. I like reading each person's total experience.. helps me to know what to expect!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register