supra-cervical hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

supra-cervical hysterectomy supra-cervical hysterectomy

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:08 PM
supra-cervical hysterectomy

Hello all!

I have been reading a lot of postings since joining yesterday. It seems that so many people are having total hysterectomies.

I requested a supra-cervical ( I want to keep my healthy ovaries and cervix) and my doctor thought it was an odd request but agreed to do it. I am 33 and otherwise in good health.

From the research I have done, it appears that up untill 20 or so years ago it was common to leave the ovaries and cervix in place if they were healthy. Then, when HMO's became commonplace, total hysterectomies became the norm due to the fact that they tend to take less time.

Is anyone else out there waiting on this procedure? Has anyone had it? The surgery booker at my doctor's office said that she had never booked on in her entire time with the office.

I am afraid that he is going to go in and pull it all even though he says he will not. I know that my ovaries and cervix are normal and healthy (had enough tests done, I'd better). I guess I am mostly looking for some reassurance. I can find very little information on the procedure and the doctor has not been very forthcoming.

Thanks for letting me rant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:16 PM

Hi ShielahT & welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I have heard about getting SVH, SLAH and SAH yes, there are quite a few on the boards. You can use the search feature on the boards to hunt for those threads. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you about their experience. Unfortunately I had too many problems with my cervix and it had to go, along with the fact that I had an abdominal hyster. I was told that was the only way they could go on me and that my cervix would be taken as well.

Sara
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:18 PM

Hi, and welcome to Hystersisters.

I'm 39 years old and my surgery is May 23. I discovered that my doctor usually will leave the ovaries at my age if they are healthy (keeping my fingers crossed that they are), but he does remove the cervix with all TAHs. From what I've read, retaining your cervix may cause "mini-periods". Since I want NO periods, I told my doctor, he can have the thing. I don't want or need it. (I also want to lessen the chance of cervical cancer.)

The decision is yours to make, but if you aren't confident that your doctor will carry out your wishes, you may want to find a doctor who will. It's your body, and you should have the final say in the matter.

Best wishes. I hope it will all work out for you.

Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 02:20 PM

Hi ShielahT:

I am having a SAH - which, (I think) is an abdominal, but leaving the cervix. I am also keeping my ovaries. All doctors and patients are different, as is all situations, but my doctor said due to my age (only 38), he wants to leave the ovaries if they are healthy. As for the cervix - it is also healthy, and he likes to leave it because its helps support other stuff (what, I don't know).

Anyway, just another sister (soon-to-be) heard from!
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:31 PM
Laparoscopic Supracervical hysterectomy

Hi,

I am 39 yrs old and my surgery date is 5/6. I am nervous, but almost excited to get it done because I won't need the Depo-provera shot anymore and not worry about periods. Also, pain and bladder problems will hopefully go away. I hope he will be able to do it all laparascopically because he said he was 90%+ sure, but I don't want to wake up with a abdominal incision and keep me from getting back to work and fun longer than the two weeks I was told.

Have a great week

Judy
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:47 PM

I will be having a supracervical and also taking out my ovaries on April 25. My female doctor is the one who recommended a supra vrs. a total. She explained to me that allowing a patient to keep the cervix helps to support the bladder area a bit more. Apparently the bladder and the cervix support tissues are somewhat woven together. She also told me that reports indicate that women who have had supra's do not notice any decrease in sexual pleasure. However, I will have to get yearly pap smears, and was told that about 5 - 10% of women do experience "mini-periods" when they've had supra cervicals. Each person is different and needs to determine what is important to them. My doctor also recommended taking my ovaries out. I'm 45 and she figured that I would not get too many more years of hormone production from them, vrs. the risk of possibly getting ovarian cancer. I got a second opinion on the ovary issue, and that doctor agreed with the first. I am getting pretty nervous for my surgery, but am sure everything will go fine. Good luck to you!
Unread 04-23-2002, 03:05 PM

When the chief resident (a female BTW) at my hospital's GYN department went over surgical plans with me, she wrote in TAH/possible BSO on the paperwork, but I requested to keep my ovaries and cervix because they were very healthy. I asked for this option because I don't believe healthy tissue should be removed, especially if it produces beneficial hormones or acts as a support for other organs.

Well, she was just THRILLED when I mentioned that! She told me that, aside from the HMO issue, the reason leaving the cervix fell out of favor in the 70's was because vaginal hysts became all the rage, with more women wanting no abdominal incision. Prior to that time, the supracervical (or subtotal) hyst was the usual way to go. As far as the ovaries are concerned, for some reason the common medical attitude for a long time was get rid of them even if they are healthy because of the risk of ovarian cancer, ditto the cervix. The reality is that unless there is a family history of cervical or ovarian cancer, the risk is VERY VERY small.

Even after the surgery, when she came to see me in my room, she said 'I really love that surgery! I'm glad you asked for it, I hope it gets more and more common'. She tells me it is regaining popularity among GYN's now, slowly but surely. It is mainly the new crop of young docs like herself who really like and recommend this surgery.

She also told me that for me, because I had had such severe hemorrhaging (I need two transfusions, six units total, before they could even do surgery) and anemia, an SAH was better because it is less bloody in general, and also minimizes accidental nicking or other damage to the bladder and bowels.

I am only talking MY personal experience here, of course everyone must make the decision that's best for them, and work with their doctor if there are attendant concerns such as cancer, endo, etc. etc. BUT you do have a right to ask for this surgery if it is a good one for you.

I'm very happy with my decision.
Unread 04-23-2002, 03:46 PM
Kept Cervix

Sheilah T...you have a real good start on getting info with all of the answers above me. I just had a supracervical hyst 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I chose that for all the reasons you've read. My cervix is healthy, no history of cancer, it provides a foundation for the pelvic region, less cutting near the bladder. Some evidence of increased sexual pleasure for some women. Since I had an abdominal bikini cut incision, no problem there.

Those mini periods you've heard about are pretty rare, and my Dr said he actually "carves" out the lining of the cervix to ensure that. Now I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out, so we'll see if I have mini periods, but I have no qualms that I made the right decision for me.

I'm sure you will make a good decision. Keep asking questions.
Unread 04-23-2002, 05:04 PM

Thank you all so much. I don't feel like so much of an oddity now.

My doctor is actually rather nice. He performed my last c-section and tubal 10 years ago so I know he is a good surgeon. I guess I am just afraid of waking up, looking in to my husbands eyes (who is being a real champ considering he is 5 years my junior and has no biological children) and being told they decided to take it all.

I did a lot of research before deciding to have the surgery. I guess my fears may seem irrational to some, but they are very real to me.

Thanks again for the responses.

Shielah
Unread 04-23-2002, 06:25 PM

Hi Shielah, I am 4 1/2 months postop from SAH for me it was the best decision I made. I have not had any problems. I was 40 when I had my hyst and had no family history of cancer.

I had one ovary removed because it was covered with cysts and my dr told me he would have to remove it before the surgery.

I have been married for 18 yrs and let me tell you my surgery has brought my DH and I closer together.

He came home for lunch one day last week because he was on a service call near our home(Computer Tech). That was the best lunch I've had in weeks

Jocelin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register