supra-cervical hysterectomy - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

supra-cervical hysterectomy supra-cervical hysterectomy

Unread 04-29-2002, 10:12 AM
supra-cervical hysterectomy

the power of information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Two weeks or less enough?

I was wondering if anyone that has had a LSH, was able to
return to mostly normal like work if not strenuous or even take
a short trip by plane. I plan on going on a short plane trip about
11 days post-op. I know my doc can only say for sure and my own body will tell me, but I really do plan on going on this trip.
I will still take it easy, of course, and then a couple days after I
come back, I plan on returning to work. My job is data entry, so not really strenuous.

Thanks for all the awesome and comforting info I have received from this sight and all of you. I am not nervous at all.

to all

Judy
Unread 04-29-2002, 11:21 AM
travel after lsh

Judy,

I have been hesitant to comment on your scheduled trip 11 days after your surgery. I can only tell you that, in my recovery, at about 11 days in I would get up around 6 am, fix breakfast for my dd, drive her to school, come home and shower and then run a few errands...by 11:30-12noon I was tired. I would lay down and rest for 2-3 hours. If you must travel...with doc's permission...you CANNOT tote your luggage, you must be mindful of your own body....your energy level will still be quite low. It sounds like a lilac festival includes lots of walking, I dont think I could do something like that at 11 days post. But, what the heck, maybe you're a triathlete or something...just talk to your doctor before you commit to the trip.

Good Luck to you,

Blondi45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 12:41 PM

I saw this question and was hesitant to post also, so I am glad Blondi was the first since she is one of the closer post ops. :-)

I have to agree with Blondi though, at 11 days post I still needed to sit or lay down for about 3 hrs in the afternoon and still hit the sack earlier than I did pre op. By about 2.5 weeks is when I felt my energy had returned to a normal state.. in that I felt that I could get through the day without a nap and I wasn't crashing after dinner.

I was also pretty anemic prior to my surgery so I was tired prior to surgery and maybe it took me alittle longer to get my energy back than most.

Good luck.
Unread 04-29-2002, 03:04 PM

Hi Judy,

I'm wondering how long is your plane trip exactly? You have to remember you will be recovering from major surgery. At 11 days post-op I could drive my kiddo to school and come home and rest. Then, I would get up and pick her up, drive her home. That's all I did as I knew more would be pushing myself. Only you can see how you feel after the surgery. Maybe you should look into exchanging the tickets as you have no idea how you will feel. Have you had surgery before? It had been 12 years since I had had surgery. I wasn't 25 any longer! Talk to your doctor and have a see how I feel attitude. If you have to take a trip, make sure you walk around every hour and get tons of water as you will be totally thirsty! I am 9 weeks post-op now and just feeling like going back to work. I work from home, but driving and sitting as well as the stress of clients was the factor that I waited this long. Again, talk to your doctor about the work thing. I wasn't released for anything until 6 weeks. You only have one chance to heal right!

Sara
Unread 05-01-2002, 08:21 AM
Had my pre-op visit yesterday:)

Hi ladies

I had my pre-op visit yesterday afternoon and I was unpleasantly surprised that I pretty had a yearly exam workover. yuck!
Afterwards, my doctor asked that I come into his office to talk.
Wasn't what I expected either. He went over everything all over again, like where he will make the incisions, and what I am hoping will be resolved after the surgery. Well, the fibroids will be gone, and no more depo shots or periods, and no more pain.
Then we got to talking about my ovaries. After talking awhile, we
decided that if he can do the entire surgery laparoscopically, then he will take them, give me a shot of estrogen, then put me on pills. If for some slight chance of a reason he can't do it all the easy way, then he will do it vaginally and leave the ovaries alone.
Please God, I really want him to do it all laparoscopically. I believe he can. He just has to move around a little more out of the way, which means fat, etc. At one point, it sounded like he was trying to change my mind on the whole surgery, but I stood my ground and told him I have no doubts. What is he thinking when I have been getting myself psyched up for the last two weeks? I feel very confident and sure about it, and I have no second thoughts.

Ya know, he never mentioned anything about totally cleaning out
my bowels the day before. I thought that was strange. He also
said if he has to do it vaginally, then, he will take my cervix. I do not want to lose my cervix, because I am afraid of my bladder not having any support and falling like my mom's did years ago. She has had two surgeries to fix that problem and I don't want that to
ever happen to me. Maybe I should call him and ask.

I hope all of you are having a good week

As for me, I am looking forward to the rest

Judy
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:48 AM

Just a note to say I had an abdominal supra-cervical this past Monday morning at 10am, and I was released on Tuesday morning about the same time. Surgery took about an hour (done under a spinal block), and the only complications I had were from the morphine pump -- it made me nauseous, so I switched to some Toradol shots for a while.

I felt good but sore on Tuesday, and after being home for 24 hours, I'm feeling super! I've had a little bit of discharge similar to that at the end of my period, and my incision site is tender -- like I've done a billion sit-ups.

I chose the supra-cervical with spinal block because I wanted a minimally invasive but thorough surgery that would rid me of my fibroid problems. I only have one "wound" site to heal, there was no fussing around with the ligaments that attach to my cervix, and the surgery was fast (about 60 minutes). I think I'll heal more quickly because I had less done. Also, because I was a cash pay, I wanted the least expensive fix for my problem -- this uncomplicated surgery worked well for all my needs.

Hopefully, I'll have health insurance sometime during the upcoming year and if there is ever a problem with my cervix I'll be covered for it. Not that I want another surgery, but I've never had any cervix problems so I figured I'd might as well leave it in until my body suggests otherwise.

just my opinion
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:57 AM

Mudpuppy

Thank you so much for your reassuring story.

I am amazed that you were allowed to go home so quickly with an abdominal procedure. My doctor told me to expect to be there several days.

I'm glad you are doing well and wish you a speedy recovery.

Shielah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register