Another new person! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another new person! Another new person!

Unread 04-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Another new person!

I am new to the list as of a few moments ago. I am slated for surgery May 23rd. Seems so long away.
I live by myself and in a security building. Am concerned about once I come home and how to let people in and out to bring me food and stuff.
Can some of you let me know how long it took you before you could walk around your house or apt. after you got home from the hospital.
And how long before one has to start taking estrogen? Do you have to take estrogen?
Sure glad I found this site.
Annie Young
Minneaapolis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 08:29 PM
Hi Annie

We are glad you found us too. Welcome to Hystersisters.

There is lot's of great informatioin on the pull down menu's on the home page. Alot to read for both pre-op and post-op tips. We also have the Hormone Jungle that you can go to for knowledge and support when you are ready.

Pleae ask your doctor about hormones and any other questions you have. Some of us had alot of stored estrogen and didn't need to go on it for awhile. But, some doc's will start you on it in the hospital.

You will be up and walking around in the hospital. So you will be able to get around your apartment when you get home. YOu just have to take it slow and easy those first few days. But it is helpful to arrange to have someone stop by each day to see if you need anything. Hopefully you have a friend or neighbor that could lend a hand.

I don't know what to say about your security building as I don't know how you are set up. Perhaps you could talk with your building or apartment manager and get their suggestions for how to handle your deliveries etc.

Pleae keep reading and posting. Let us know how else we can support you. You will do just fine.

Unread 04-23-2002, 10:50 PM
Another new person!

Welcome Annie,

I haven't had surgery Annie, but everyone says they are walking the halls in the hospital before they leave. i just wanted to say, I'm glad you are here and let us know how you are doing.

Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Annie

Just wanted to WELCOME you to this awesome site and wish you all the very best for your surgery. I had a lavh/rso and bladder repair 7 months ago and I can say it ws the best thing i ever did. You will find the support here amazeing and there is always a hug or brownie. come join us in chat also it is a great way to pass the time while waiting. Hugs Vicki Aka Smilie
Unread 04-24-2002, 01:31 AM
Another new person!

Hi Annie!

I don't have anything to add to Shelley's wonderful reply about walking, but I wanted to say WELCOME to Hyster Sisters! I'm sure you'll find lots of valuable advice here in the weeks leading up to your surgery!

Unread 04-24-2002, 02:43 AM
Another new person!

Hi Annie -

I just joined yesterday and have the same surgery date as you, May 23. There was a thread a while back on "living alone" I think; you might do a search for that.

It's good you have some time beforehand to prepare. I am just getting ready to make a massive list of things to do - probably a bad idea as it will surely be too big!

Pellice
Unread 04-24-2002, 04:30 AM
Another new person!

Hi Annie! Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I was up and walking around the day after surgery...walking laps. The nurses at all the stations loved seeing me walking around. I had to pass 3 different ward stations on my "lap". It's good to get moving, get your body moving again. I'm sure you will be fine with that. Do you have a lot of stairs to walk up to get to your apartment? Do you have someone to drive you to and from the castle? I hope they will be there to help you up the stairs the first time. I was so glad to have someone to help me out of the car and up the 3 steps we have to the house. Then, I had 20 stairs to tackle before I could go to bed.

Please read the pull-down menus on the main page www.hystersisters.com You will find a lot of information on this site and it will help you make a list for your doctor as well!

Sara
Unread 04-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Hi Annie

Hi Annie,

Welcome to HysterSisters. You'll find a lot of great information and support here. This place is wonderful and so are the ladies here. Just be careful, this site is very addictive!

I also have the same surgery date as you, and I too live alone. I plan to take advantage of all of my friends, family, and neighbors who have offered to help.

Many of the ladies here have said that the waiting is the worst part. And you're right, May 23 seems like a long, long way away. What time of day are you having your surgery? Mine is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. (I'm glad it wasn't earlier. I'm NOT an early morning person!!)

Keep in touch, and I'll say a prayer for you as we go to the castle together. (Along with Pellice, and the other two ladies who are scheduled to become Princessess May 23!)

s to you!

Lisa

PS Don't forget to add your surgery date to your profile so you don't get overlooked on our "big day!"
Unread 04-24-2002, 08:48 AM
Another new person!

Hi anniey!

I too am from the Minneapolis area so am looking forward to meeting and chatting with you in the Chat room. I had an LAVH/BSO on 4/9/02 and was walking the same day! I don't believe your post mentioned if you were having vaginal or abdominal surgery.

Welcome too Hystersisters and hope all the resources and wonderful people this site hasto offer will be beneficial to you. Come join us in chat!

Take care,
Gayle

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Another new person!

Annie, I live alone too, although I will have family in to help me for a while. One thing I forgot to mention - when I was reading that previous thread on going it alone, many ladies mentioned the importance of picking up medications BEFORE you reached home that first time - either taking them directly from the hospital or picking them up on the way home.

Pellice

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register