I need your suggestions/guidance!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need your suggestions/guidance!!! I need your suggestions/guidance!!!

Unread 04-24-2002, 02:43 AM
I need your suggestions/guidance!!!

Hi Ladies!

I am looking for some suggestions regarding pain medications! I am having my worst period ever!!! My regular pain meds are NOT doing the job this time! I'm waiting for my docs office to open so that I can call him to see what he can do for me. I wanted to ask you ladies what pain meds you took/are taking and what side effects they had on you. I have three young children, and need my wits about me when dealing with them, especially the youngest (4). I hear a lot of you mention percocet, but was wondering if it made you feel loopy too. I want to be as informed as possible when I talk to the doc and he starts to make suggestions. Most of the pain meds I am familiar with are for Migraines, and they usually knock me out!!

I've been second guessing this hyst thing, until this last period! I don't know how some of you ladies did it, if your pain is/was anything like this period I'm having now!! My hat is off to you! You are/were a stronger woman than I! Right now, I'm almost willing to move my surgery date up to tomorrow if I thought that my family could rearrange their plans to be with me to help with the kids!!! OMG!!!!! It hurts. All I can do is hold a pillow over my stomach and cry!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 04:10 AM

I'm sorry you are having this pain. I know that I had extreme pain when I had my periods. I can't really recommend any medicine to you...please wait until your doctor can prescribe something for you. Doesn't he have an answering service that picks up when the office is closed? I hope you get some relief!

Sara
Unread 04-24-2002, 05:31 AM
No answering service at 4:30 a.m.

Unfortunately, when I posted this, it was 4:30 a.m. Texas time. His office will open at 8:30. Even if he did have an answering service, there isn't a pharmacy that could fill the script!

Thanks for the Hug! It was greatly appreciated (definitely needed!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 06:12 AM

Hi neighbor,
I am in Plano as well. I'm far North Plano/West Allen area.
Are you going to have surgery at Medical Center of Plano? I am signed up for a class on hysterectomy there May 5 for info, tours, etc.
I hope you get some relief soon. Offices are not quite open yet. I am anxiously awaiting my phone call from the scheduler today to give me my surgery date. Yesterday she estimated about 2 weeks. I can't wait to get this out of me and feel better.
Best wishes to you and I hope you feel better soon.
Susan
Unread 04-24-2002, 10:23 AM

I tried everything for bad menstrual cramps and finally found that Vicodin helped me where nothing else did. It didn't take all the pain away, but it took a big bite out of it. Amazing. Too bad I didn't find it till my very last period!

If you haven't tried Vicodin or Percocet, you might ask your doc about them, just to get you through till your hyst.

I was maybe slightly loopy on the Percocet, not really much on the Vicodin. Just a little sleepy, and relieved that the pain lessened. But I wouldn't recommend driving on any narcotic drug.

Good luck -- oh, I feel for you! Menstrual cramps are the pits!

s,

Melissa
Unread 04-24-2002, 10:40 AM
Ideas for period pain

I'm sorry to hear you are in such pain. I was also in a lot of pain and I can't take any of the narcotic type pain killers (most anything that ends with ...cet). They make me loopy and nauseaus. My doctor suggested I try 800 mg of motrin (wow I thought that was a lot!) every 6 hours and that seemed to help, even after my hyst. For period pain there are these cool (actually they're warm :-) ) air activated compresses that you can slide inside the front or back of your waist band. They helped me. Maybe they will give you some relief. Good luck.
Unread 04-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Have you tried Ponstan?

Domestic Goddess, have you tried Ponstan?

I THINK it is a smooth muscle relaxant. But whatever it is, it certainly cut out period pain for me.
Side-effects: No "loopy head", not sleepy, nothing. Just, NO PAIN.
(Ponstan is hard on the stomach however, so make sure you eat something when taking it.)

I've only heard of two other people getting it presecribed for period pain - both in Canada.

I've recently had a hyster so don't need Ponstan any more, but it was a monthly Godsend for me. (Without it, I could just imagine tiny bulldozers grinding away in my insides while I curled up under blankets trying not to move.)

You might inquire about it when you finally do get through to your doctor.

Good luck,
H. Jane TAH/BSO 28/2/02

Please remember the above is based only on my own experience.
Unread 04-24-2002, 11:00 AM
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

I want to thank all of you wonderful ladies that replied my message! I am on my way to the doc's office. He wanted to see me at 2. My dh is going with me because he is afraid I will wimp out. Can't balme him, it took me so long to do something about this! I hate dr.'s, but I hate hurting even more so I'm going!!
I just want all of this to be over with! I want my life back!! I hate not being in control of ME!!

Thank you for letting me sob on your shoulders!!!!

I will take all your suggestions with me when I go. I think I will also ask him if there is any way to prevent my periods from coming until my surgery, 6/10. That way, I get to retain some control of the situation and not worry about the pain (I hope)!!!!

Hugs and Kisses to all of you!

THANKS!!!!!
Unread 04-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Vicoprofun (sp?)

Hi! I get relief with a drug that is a combination of vicodin and ibuprofen - and ibuprofen is a slight mood elevator so if it just takes the edge off, and doesn't relieve you completely, you simply don't care!

I also have some Lortab for when it gets really bad - you just wanna lay down and go to sleep for the first hour it is in your system but if you just work through that, you feel great. And really chatty!
Soozn
Unread 04-24-2002, 04:42 PM
Good news from doctor!

Got back from the Dr. this afternoon, and he added darvocet to my pain med mix. so I now have 50mg Vioxx, 800mg Ibuprofen and Darvocets. He also put me on bcp to try to stop the bleeding and thereby stop the cramping. I hope it works. He wants me to go back in on Monday and think about upping my surgery dat to early May. One month earlier than planned. I think I'm going to go ahead and do that, and just let my dh take care of stuff (this is at his request too)!!

Anyway, we shall see how this new regimen works! I pray it does!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register