2days to go and really scared now! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2days to go and really scared now! 2days to go and really scared now!

Unread 04-24-2002, 07:04 AM
2days to go and really scared now!

Hi my name is Alli and i posted a couple of times last week.
Yeasterday i went to my pre-op......blood test and question and answer time and signing the consent form....and from that moment on it really hit me!...my Husband Jeff was there with me(thank goodness)he is just the greatest! While my doctor was explaining the prosedure with us i started to see spots and getting very warm and down i went out......this does happen to me alot with doctors and hospitals.
She did tell me i have to have a TAH....she will leave the overies in,they are perfect.
I had gone to 4 different doctors to try to diagnose my problem2 years ago.
i have constant pelvic pressure and discomfort.i go manying trips to the bathroom and there always seems i have to go again. i do get a little relief during my period..Does anyone get this?
left side discomfort which leaves me feeling like i am ovulating all the time does not let up..
and then there is that terrible low back pain....there is not a day that goes by that i don't have it.....so many things that i enjoy like gardening, sitting at the sewing machine, i can only do for a short time before i get the knife in the back.
My first doctor thought i had intersticial cystitis(it is like an inflamed bladder) one doctor said contipation, another cystis on overies and finall my present doctor gave my a lap. and found 2 fibroids the size of golf balls.....one leaning on the bladder and the other on recutum.......this seems to be the most logical diagnosis....what do you ladies think?
i my self have been telling the doctors that i feel something in my uterus especially when i am sitting on a hard chair......there are time that area goes to sleep and gets numb.....this is truely crazy and now to top it all off i am soooo very scared of the surgery on this Friday!:cry:
there are so many things that could go wrong.....blood clots, if the doctors cut the wrong thing and i bleed to death.....and i know my husband is being so strong for me to lean on i would think he needs someone to.....
i am really sorry for going on and on.....
thanks so much for you all being out there
Alli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 07:20 AM
2 days to go and really scared

I understand being scared. I too was afraid. Had TAH/RSO and Cervix removed on 3/15/02. It is true what they say the waiting is the hardest part and in turn allows you to think of all these things that could happen. Try thinking of all the good things out there and all the things you will be able to do once your healing time is done. We are all here for you at any time. Think of all the nice things and white clothing you can wear without worrying.
Best wishes to you.

Sherri
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:39 AM

Hi Alli, your fears are sure understandable, and although I haven't yet fainted in a dr.s' office (that might change this afternoon), I usually have palpitations, spots before my eyes, and mind-swimming sensations.

I have a large cyst-like mass on an ovary, which I'm feeling lately more often than not. My uterus feels lumpy to me, and it grosses me out to touch my abdomen. I have low back pain at times, too. Yesterday and today my uterus feels like I'm about to start my period, but that's not due yet, and I should have already had my last one. I'm thinking maybe some it this is psychological, after reading about everyone else's pain. Sympathy pains maybe? Or maybe I have to have pain before I can willingly go to the castle to get this taken care of.

I share your fears, believe me, and the same ones. I don't know about bleeding to death though. Your doctors will be right there and I'm sure if they cut something important, you're in the best spot to get it fixed. But the mind plays tricks, and is making us focus on the worst of all possible scenarios. I know mine is. And I think even if I do make it off the table okay, then I have to worry about what pathology might find. Might being the key word there.

EVERYONE tells me the waiting is the worst part. I personally know several women who have had this surgery, and they assure me they felt exactly the same, and say, "don't worry." Even though I know worrying won't change the outcome, I still can't help it.

You're scared, I'm scared, we're all scared. I hope you're worries are unfounded. I truly hope this is the worst part. I wish you well, and will be praying for your smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

Yesterday I posted a thread, I think in the post-op section, called "Good News, Please" and the responses were great. Check it out, it might help and reassure you.

Best to you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Hang in there

I experienced much of the same problems you are having and had a TAH . It is hard not to be scared but you be strong! You will be fine .
Unread 04-24-2002, 11:55 AM
Hi 2days

I'm 15 days post-op and was an absolute basket case prior to surgery. I even asked if they could knock me out at the pre-op and keep me out until 2 weeks after! LOL I didn't cry until after I checked into the hospital. That's when reality set in. The nurses, doctor, and anesthesiologist were great! Support and help were, and are, everywhere. I don't regret a thing. The years of problems are gone, and now I can have a normal life!!!!! Yippee!!!

It's normal to be scared. Things will be fine. The waiting stinks, but now is the time to do a little personal shopping, pamper yourself, have a splendid meal or two or three and have some fun. Keep busy and take care of yourself now and after. You'll be amazed at how fast you're up and feeling better.
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:40 PM

Aw, Alli - here's a big HUG for you!!

Being scared is VERY normal - this is major surgery and it's a big unknown. Yes, there are ALWAYS things that can go wrong in anything in life.. but keep in mind that this is a very common surgery. The doctor can probably do this procedure in his or her sleep! Trust them, just a little.

Concerning blood clots - Many of us had some legging things wrapped around our legs during and after surgery. that are attached to a pump. They pump up and then deflate, over and over. When they put them on, they felt rather comforting. Anyway, they are to help prevent blood clots. I got sick of them by late in the evening, but they wanted them to stay on till I was up and wandering around a bit.

You hang in there, and you, too, Bonnie. For me. the waiting definitely was the hardest part!
Unread 04-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi Alli

Ok Sweetie you are doing the normal things we all do before our surgery. Of course I never passed out but I did feel like it . Keep those eyes on the future with out all the constant pain. I am 10 months post-op and feel great. Of course I still have some back pain and hip pain, but I have good old Arthur so I always have had that. I had pain in my right side all the time and they found a golf ball size cyst inside my right ovary. I had everything removed but now no pain. Just keep telling your self you will be fine. None of us can ever know if we are going to have complications, but if we did you know we wouldn't have the surgery. I am a big girl and I thought that that would be a problem but my surgery was perfect as any can be. I healed fast and now have such more quality life than I have had in years. Now if I could just lose all this extra weight anyone out there want some extra . God Bless.
Unread 04-24-2002, 09:02 PM

not trying to discount anyone worrys or fears but this is what i learned in marriage counseling a few years back---you ain't what is in your mind---the second statement is---i can't go there---now i will explain---do not let your mind control you!!!!!!----fear & worry. fear and worry consume a lot of energy what it is suppose to be doing is signaling you to look for knowledge!!!!!! IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ABATE THE WORRY AND FEAR---YOU NEED TO START TELLING YOUR SELF---I CAN'T GO THERE!!!!!!!!! try telling your mind you will no longer accept the fear and worry you want knowledge or i can't go there --fear and worry are unacceptable!!!!!!! the human mind does some really funny things to us if we let it. our minds are not who we are---we control our minds---not our minds control us. i hope this helps some one. there is peace to be found--we all have it in our grasp--we just need to take control----i know it is not easy---just think about what we are letting our mind do to us!!!!!!!!!!!! i really hope i have not offended any one. that is not my intent. just trying to show there is another way. sincerely, janice72
Unread 04-24-2002, 11:18 PM

Alli -- yep, it sounds like your pre-surgery jitters are right on track.

I know it's hard. But you can be proud of yourself that you are getting through such a difficult time. I really think it's the waiting more than the puncturing that makes us Princesses -- the waiting is our trial by fire. Was for me, anyway. And you're already doing it! After this, the surgery will be a cinch.

Don't mean to be glib, just to lighten the mood. It eased my fears when I found things to laugh at pre-op.

So this guy walks into a bar with a duck on his head....

Melissa
Unread 04-25-2002, 04:54 AM
Thank you all!

I am sitting in front of my pc with my eyes filed with tears....thanks you all so much with your positive outlook on this..you don't know how much this means to me.....it really makes a difference when you speak with someone that has gone thru it and they are doing so well.
Thank you Frances, Mellissa ,Alisa, Geri, Braswell, Bonnie,Sherri, and Janice....Janice that sound like something i am going to try and Bonnie i also started a thread on the post-op.What a big help that is....
YOu all have been just great. i am so glad i came across this website.
Tomorrow i am the first patient sceduled....i have to be there for 6:30am...
i will check in and tell you all how it went on my return.

Alli

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register